Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-24-2014, 07:39 AM   #15

I did the same thing to our 99. I pulled the old jack knife sofa out and replaced it with the Discovery CS double recliner from Shop4seats.com It is a full chaise lounge and only needs 3" behind the top of the seat back for reclining. I had to add to the slide floor for the front of the recliners, but it just brought the front out to the same distance that the dining area was already. DW loves it.
ItascaRVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-24-2014, 11:34 AM   #16

It's a Kianus-3410-2R. We found it a Furniture USA in the Clearance room. I figure that we will be using it far less than the sofa in our home so it should last for a long time. Everyone is raving about Micro suede right now but our old sofa was micro suede and although is repels liquid, they don't wear very well. This one is corduroy.
RonVBT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 11:42 AM   #17
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Skyline Owners Group
Nice job. I'm sure you'll be a lot happier w/the reclining loveseat. That's a popular upgrade w/most owners.

Lori-
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 11:44 AM   #18

Winnebago Owners Club
Very nice! How did you attach it to the floor?

May the roads rise up to meet you, May the winds be always at your back...
Pepper2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 11:48 AM   #19

@YourACMan, Most of the new recliners are "Wall Huggers" and need about 3" behind them for full extension. The chair and the back actually move away from the wall when the foot rest comes out and then as you recline the back it starts getting closer to the wall. Ours hits the wall before it gets perfectly flat but we will have to test it and see if that is acceptable for us. If I do decide to move the loveseat further forward, it will be easy since it has a rectangular metal frame that it rests on where it contacts the floor with many holes in it for securing it down to the floor. It really was an easy modification. I'll post a picture of the underside of a loveseat (is not ours but it looks the same underneath. I think they are all the same).
Old 03-24-2014, 11:51 AM   #20

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Does it recline fully? from the Pictures it looks like the foot section will be right in the Dining booth?
I have been tossing around the idea too, going Full Time and that would be a great sleeping unit...
tim
spritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 12:19 PM   #21

Here is the bottom of a typical reclining loveseat.

Not the best photo but it is easy to mount these chairs since there is a huge rectangular metal frame that contacts the floor area making mounting options numerous.

When you lift the foot rest up, it is easy to get under the chair to work
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Typical bottom of Loveseat.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	210.5 KB
ID:	59070  
Old 03-24-2014, 12:22 PM   #22

One thing I decided to do was to remove the locking clip on the backs. If you have ever fought with these clips, you will agree that they make removing the backs very difficult to impossible if you can't get around to the back of the chair. Just unscrew the mounting channel and remove the lock clip, then screw the mounting channel back on. I don't think there is any danger of the back flying off by itself.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Clip 1.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	465.9 KB
ID:	59071   Click image for larger version

Name:	Clip 2.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	384.8 KB
ID:	59072  

Old 03-24-2014, 12:26 PM   #23

@Spritz...With the slides in, The foot rest comes fully out but is very close to the dinette. You can't recline much at all with the slides in but it is still way more comfy than the old sofa was. It's just a better piece of furniture. With the slides out, there is plenty of room to recline.
Old 03-24-2014, 12:29 PM   #24

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by spritz View Post
Does it recline fully? from the Pictures it looks like the foot section will be right in the Dining booth?
I have been tossing around the idea too, going Full Time and that would be a great sleeping unit...
tim
His slides are in.

May the roads rise up to meet you, May the winds be always at your back...
Pepper2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 12:34 PM   #25

@ Pepper2...I attached it to the floor using 1 5/8 inch wood screws with a small washer next to the head. The top of the slide platform where I mounted the chair is wood. There are many holes in the Loveseat's rectangular frame (on the bottom that it sits on) making options for mounting to the wood floor numerous. The original sofa (believe it or not) was attached with 6 - 2 1/2 inch wood screws, 3 on each side. It's not hard to improve on that even though the original sofa seems plenty sturdy with only the 6 screws holding it down
Old 03-24-2014, 04:00 PM   #26

Winnebago Owners Club
Thanks for the g r e a t writeup...............

Thanks for the great description and the tips too, Ron. That's all very encouraging. I know a lot of folks are less than pleased with their factory-installed jack knife sofa or whatever (although I suppose some are better'n others.) Nice to have guys like you out there who just jump in there and "git er done". Ed S.
youracman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 07:01 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by youracman View Post
Question for either RonVBT, or Ramets: Does your recliner need to be moved away from the wall to recline it to the max? I have to sleep on a recliner (too many rods and screws in the ol' back) and was wondering how a couch changeout would work.....and you guys have actually done it........velly intellesting!

Thanks, Ed S in Denver, CO
We looked for 0 clearance recliners at LazBoy. They recline all the way, in fact I fall asleep in mine all the time.
Ramets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 08:15 AM   #28

We have 57 inches between our sofa and the dinette when both slides are out. Our plan is to buy a Queen size air mattress like this one at Amazon. It has an inflatable platform to raise it up to a normal bed height of 19". It has a built in air pump so set up is fairly easy. I believe it will be much more comfortable than the old sofa bed.
Attached Images