Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-09-2014, 01:46 PM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
Replacing Sofas and Beds

The DP we are trying to buy has a small household couch and easy chair. Both are objectionable to my DW, which means that I dislike them intensely. i was lurking in the Tiffin thread and several folks mentioned that they have household furniture as well. Isn't it a substantial safety hazard to have these items free-floating (not anchored) when traveling? Although we won't have passengers very often, on the rare occasion how would we belt them in?

It also has a Sleep Number bed that may not be working right. Is there any way to get a conventional queen-size mattress into the coach through the door? Are they flexible enough to snake them in over the copilot's seat?
ProjectPro is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-09-2014, 01:59 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProjectPro View Post
The DP we are trying to buy has a small household couch and easy chair. Both are objectionable to my DW, which means that I dislike them intensely. i was lurking in the Tiffin thread and several folks mentioned that they have household furniture as well. Isn't it a substantial safety hazard to have these items free-floating (not anchored) when traveling? Although we won't have passengers very often, on the rare occasion how would we belt them in?

It also has a Sleep Number bed that may not be working right. Is there any way to get a conventional queen-size mattress into the coach through the door? Are they flexible enough to snake them in over the copilot's seat?
I replaced the old sofa/bed with a recliner/couch. I bolted down in the same spot the old couch bed was in and still have access to the seat belts. See pictures below.

I also replaced the sleep number bed which I never could get to work right and with a queen size memory foam mattress. So much better. Fit through the door fine, measure yours.

RV recliners-1.pdf
adonh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 02:08 PM   #3

We replaced the lousy original mattress in our Daybreak with a standard queen size memory foam mattress from Denver Mattress Co. It was as close as we could get to our home Tempur Pedic without having to spend another $3000 on a real one. Sleeps great and came in a vacuum sealed bag. Was quite easy to get into the bedroom - although it is heavy! Definitely a 2 man job. The extra length of the std queen has not been a problem as we had plenty of room at the foot of the bed and the slight overhang on the plywood base is not quite enough to cause a problem when sitting on the foot of the bed to put shoes on.
bvaughn4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 02:08 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
We removed our "Euro Chair" and purchased a small desk from a local furniture store. The chair was ugly and the desk is quite useful. Just bolted it to the floor with L-brackets. We travel with the desk chair in the shower stall. \ken
Ken, Deb, & Gadget (WIT Club, FMCA, SKP, and grateful volunteers with Habitat for Humanity and SOWERs), traveling in a well-behaved 2005 Winnebago Vectra 40FD w/1100w solar, some gee-golly-whizbang, and a TRAILERED 2015 Cherokee TrailHawk toad.
Bumps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 02:26 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
We replaced the original mattress (about 18 yrs old at that point) with a Firm Euro Pillow Top mattress from a regular mattress store.

Side note to maybe help you save money .... you do NOT need to buy something for the RV just because it says RV on it - ie we had to replace our voltage regulator. The previous owners had replaced it at an RV service place the year before. It cost about $100 just for the part. We looked and found the same exact part at the local auto parts store for about $25.
Old 02-09-2014, 02:59 PM   #6

American Coach Owners Club
We replaced on of our full couches with two Euro chairs. We did not bolt the chairs down. We don't sit in the chairs while driving down the road and the foot stools turn upside down and ride int he chairs during travel. I guess if I were to wreck and flip upside down the chairs could become missle hazzards, but then again if I wreck and flip upside down I will have bigger issues than the chairs moving around.

Our dining chairs are also no anchored to the floor, so I can't see that is is a big deal.
Old 02-09-2014, 08:03 PM   #7

Ford Super Duty Owner
We replaced our sofa with two wall hugger Lazy Boy recliners and use the existing seat belts to secure them when driving. We also changed our king size bed with an Angel Bed. It all works great.
Old Dude 66 is offline   Reply With Quote