Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-12-2015, 07:50 AM   #1
WDW

Replacing tail / turn with Super Bright brand lights

I'm wondering if there is any reason I couldn't replace my rear tail and turn lights with LED units? We have 5.5" flanged units with the three wire plug.

Am I OK to swap those out for similar but with LEDs?

Taking in the sights ...where my Trolley takes me.

2016 Coachmen Mirada 35BH

WDW is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-12-2015, 08:17 AM   #2

On some chassis there is a controller to power the tail, turn, and backup lights. Changing to LEDS may not have a enough load to allow the controller to operate normally. Also, some cruse controls depend on the brake light circuit. You might try if you can return them if they do not function correctly.

Old 11-13-2015, 09:44 AM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Check Lumens of old bulb vs. new replacement. LEDs are directional, Incandesants are not.
Old 11-13-2015, 10:03 AM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Match the LED bulb color to the lens color i.e. red to red, amber to amber, etc. You may also need an LED flasher to make them work.
Rockwood27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2015, 06:37 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by WDW View Post
I'm wondering if there is any reason I couldn't replace my rear tail and turn lights with LED units? We have 5.5" flanged units with the three wire plug.

Am I OK to swap those out for similar but with LEDs?

I did exactly that last year. The LED stop/tail lights are really an improvement over the OEM lights. I had one guy tell me my stop lights are so bright they overpower the (towed) Jeep stop lights, making them hard to see.

There is one downside; when I back into the RV garage at night the stop lights are so bright reflecting off the white metal inside the garage, it makes seeing in the mirrors difficult while backing.
I measured my OEM lights and ordered Hella stop/tail/turn lights of the same measurements from Amazon at a very reasonable price. Those 2 lights are so bright I changed my mind about ordering 2 more for the bottom set of stop lights.(I have 4)
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2015, 09:08 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray,IN View Post
I did exactly that last year. The LED stop/tail lights are really an improvement over the OEM lights. I had one guy tell me my stop lights are so bright they overpower the (towed) Jeep stop lights, making them hard to see.

There is one downside; when I back into the RV garage at night the stop lights are so bright reflecting off the white metal inside the garage, it makes seeing in the mirrors difficult while backing.
I measured my OEM lights and ordered Hella stop/tail/turn lights of the same measurements from Amazon at a very reasonable price. Those 2 lights are so bright I changed my mind about ordering 2 more for the bottom set of stop lights.(I have 4)
What was the part number you ordered? I have the Hella lights too and can't find anything that matches mine. Thanks
soneil422 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2015, 08:15 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by soneil422 View Post
What was the part number you ordered? I have the Hella lights too and can't find anything that matches mine. Thanks
I'll find the box next week and reply. They are close to 4" x 6", but came in metric measurements. Right now I'm busy remodeling our other house.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Old 11-14-2015, 09:44 PM   #8

I apologize for my error. They are NOT Hella lights.
I did have time to look on Amazon for my past purchases, and found what I bought, here: Amazon.com : Bragman 86 Series LED Single Taillight (Stop, Tail, Turn), Red with Black Base : Boat Trailer Lights : Sports & Outdoors
The storefront is Extras 4 Recreational vehicles
I really like these LED lights. If anyone ever says they can't or didn't see them they are overdue for new eyes.
Watch the order page very closely though. I missed the next day shipping and it cost me almost $30 more.
Old 11-14-2015, 10:21 PM   #9
KIX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray,IN View Post
I apologize for my error. They are NOT Hella lights.
I did have time to look on Amazon for my past purchases, and found what I bought, here: Amazon.com : Bragman 86 Series LED Single Taillight (Stop, Tail, Turn), Red with Black Base : Boat Trailer Lights : Sports & Outdoors
The storefront is Extras 4 Recreational vehicles
I really like these LED lights. If anyone ever says they can't or didn't see them they are overdue for new eyes.
Watch the order page very closely though. I missed the next day shipping and it cost me almost $30 more.
That looks a like a great find and looks like it will replace my aging tail/stop lights too. Thanks for posting that. Now a question for you re your rear lights. Do you have 4 separate "fixtures" on each side? The top, on my coach, is tail & stop. The second one down is amber turn. The third down is clear (now cloudy) reverse light. And the bottom one is just a reflector. All are Hella. Is that the same as yours originally?
KIX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2015, 06:25 AM   #10

Damon Owners Club
I have the 5.5 round taillights on my unit. I replaced them with bargman or dominion, with the offset 3 prong plug, they are really bright. Now I need to replace the back up lights and the third brake light, in spring, its put away for the winter. You will be pleased with results when you do change yours out. I might add that the multiple leds in a sealed light, work great. The single bulb ie 1157 or 1156 are a big disappointment not worth the money.
Old 11-15-2015, 01:53 PM   #11
WDW

Replacing tail / turn with Super Bright brand lights

Thank you for the feedback!

I installed a Superbrightled brand STFR-R24 rear taillight as my test device. It works, no apparent issues.

So in ordered another stop and two Amber turn units.

WDW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2015, 03:45 PM   #12

I replaced the 1157s with LED bulbs last year and installed a third brake light. In the process I realized that the black plastic of the inside of the Bargman lights, probably is not the most efficient surface for light to reflect off of. So I took several strips of aluminum duct tape and applied it to the inside surface of each light behind the bulbs. Talk about a difference, with that mod, the LED bulbs, and the addition of the third brake light, the MH is highly visible even with the toad and bicycles in place.
Old 11-15-2015, 04:52 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by KIX View Post
That looks a like a great find and looks like it will replace my aging tail/stop lights too. Thanks for posting that. Now a question for you re your rear lights. Do you have 4 separate "fixtures" on each side? The top, on my coach, is tail & stop. The second one down is amber turn. The third down is clear (now cloudy) reverse light. And the bottom one is just a reflector. All are Hella. Is that the same as yours originally?
MH UF has 3 on each side, top is stop/tail, middle is turn, bottom is merely a red reflector lens. That bottom reflector was what I intended to replace with a 2nd LED stop/tail, but just the one top set of LED's are bright enough, any brighter and I'd have to cover them just to back in the white garage at night.
Old 11-27-2015, 11:02 PM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
Ray,IN
Would you mind posting a picture of those with the lights on and with your foot on the brakes? I have the Bargman taillights on my MH and have been thinking of the LED replacements from Bargman.
Would really love to see photos of how they look. having spent a lot of miles on motorcycles, I firmly believe in lighting that is VISIBLE!!
Thank you in advance.

Jay and Valerie - 1996 Monaco Dynasty, Count 36FD. Coach #66387 C 8.3-300 hp; Allison 3060, 6.5 LP generator, no slides. New to us (3-30-2015)
BigPapaYams is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
light, lights