Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-05-2014, 01:49 PM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Replacing/Upgrading house batteries

I am getting ready to replace my house batteries in my 2004 Damon Challenger. What are the specs to look for? I see AH numbers and CCA numbers. The labels are faded on my current batteries. I read an interesting thread on 2 six's vs. 1 twelve. I am going to stick with the 2 six's because of the space, tray, etc. So I would like some suggestions on amperage, brand, etc. Thanks.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-05-2014, 02:13 PM   #2

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
IF those are OEM they are GC-2 Size likely 210 or 220 amp hours.

You can get 230 amp hour and possibly even 250 amp hour batteries that will fit the same tray

Highest quality is Trojan. Though Interstate and Deka are both good runner ups. My OEM's were Interestate U-2200

The US-Battery US-2200 is.. basically identical

I now have Deka G-20s

All these are basically identical batteries (The G-20 is a 230 amp hour size)

Best bang for the buck, if you are a member already is GC-2 Golf car batteries at Sam's Club, but if you are NOT currently a member, the cost of membership makes a difference.

Old 08-06-2014, 03:11 PM   #3

According to some local independent battery suppliers, Trojan batteries are now made cheaper than they used to be with the result a shorter life span. I can't confirm this is true, but I heard it from three suppliers. Also I was told that US Battery no longer makes the Interstate U-2200. The US Battery U-2200 is still readily available. I got four about 6 months ago from our local Power Stride dealer for $118 each after negotiating with them a little.
Old 08-06-2014, 05:03 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Thanks for the advice. I found a place I can get the Trojan T-105 for $125 so I probably go with them. But I have not found my best price yet on the Interstate GC2-XHD. I had another question. I noticed Trojan sells a battery fill system for their batteries, but it is fairly expensive. I have also seen other battery fill systems. Does anyone have any recommendations? Just looking for an easy way to fill both batteries [all six holes] easily and with less mess.
Old 08-06-2014, 07:16 PM   #5

Trojan T 105's are great batteries. I used them on my boat.
Old 08-06-2014, 07:52 PM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Trogans run 1000's of golf carts around the USA, they are very good the T-105 are the most used, about $110
jimbo2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 02:04 PM   #7

I put one of the remote fill systems on my four house batteries. It was a true pain to check and fill the cells without it for two reasons. First, the battery compartment isn't on slides and secondly because the cables connecting in series and parallel got in the way of removing the caps and inserting the filler. Because of this I didn't check water level as often as I should. With the remote fill it takes about a minute to do it and all cells are at a consistent level. I have solar panels and a solar controller that equalizes the batteries every 25 days even when it is sitting in storage so it is important to be checking the level regularly. I don't remember the name of the remote filling system, but it is not the Trojan one.
Old 08-07-2014, 06:06 PM   #8

Country Coach Owners Club
Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by roguefriar View Post
I am getting ready to replace my house batteries in my 2004 Damon Challenger. What are the specs to look for? I see AH numbers and CCA numbers. The labels are faded on my current batteries. I read an interesting thread on 2 six's vs. 1 twelve. I am going to stick with the 2 six's because of the space, tray, etc. So I would like some suggestions on amperage, brand, etc. Thanks.

I went with LifeLine brand this time. Chose AGM 6v 220AH batteries hoping they last a long time.
Old 08-07-2014, 06:40 PM   #9

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tobias7000 View Post
I went with LifeLine brand this time. Chose AGM 6v 220AH batteries hoping they last a long time.
If you can take the hit to the pocketbook, AGMs are the way to go. Install them and forget about them.
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 06:43 PM   #10

"I went with LifeLine brand this time. Chose AGM 6v 220AH batteries hoping they last a long time."

As long as you have matched the charger settings with the manufacturer's specs - and disabled equalisation mode.
Old 08-07-2014, 07:17 PM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Lee View Post
"I went with LifeLine brand this time. Chose AGM 6v 220AH batteries hoping they last a long time."

As long as you have matched the charger settings with the manufacturer's specs - and disabled equalisation mode.

Funny you mention this. I had to remind the tech to do this as he did not recall the Xanex charger had that capability.
Old 08-07-2014, 07:20 PM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat320 View Post
If you can take the hit to the pocketbook, AGMs are the way to go. Install them and forget about them.

Yes, the wallet has less pull from earths gravity now. Four batteries at $365 each plus a few hours labor. My old batteries were toast: Bulging at the center and dry to the bone a few times due to improper discharge ;-).
Old 08-07-2014, 10:57 PM   #13

Quote:
Funny you mention this. I had to remind the tech to do this as he did not recall the Xanex charger had that capability.
My toolbar dictionary reckons a technician is "someone whose occupation involves training in a specific technical process". I guess that is just another term that has been dumbed down and down until it doesn't mean much any more.
Old 08-09-2014, 01:42 PM   #14

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Yes, the wallet has less pull from earths gravity now. Four batteries at $365 each plus a few hours labor. My old batteries were toast: Bulging at the center and dry to the bone a few times due to improper discharge ;-).
WOW 365 each and that is more than I paid for a pair of Flooded wet cells, (About 50% more) and you bought FOUR of them.

There is of course the claim that AGM last longer.. However I have seen nothing that supports that in the world of fact.

Well tended flooded wet cells can go a decade or more, Mine, were abused a bit and made it to 9 before I replaced 'em this spring.

AGM... Well I had some of those too, they were the FIRST batteries I replaced.. They died very young. Five years. (And they were on a different loop not abused).

Tags
batteries, house batteries