Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-06-2010, 09:52 AM   #1

Repossessed Motor Home Questions

Has anyone ever had to let their motor home loan default and have the motor home be repossed by the lending institution?
I have a friend who is unemployed, lost his job and can not afford to make payments now on his motor home.

Questions:
1. What can the bank do to the owner?
2. Can the bank put a lein on their home?
3. Can the bank reposess any other items owned by the person?

Any comments or experiences you know of would help.
K5EAG is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-06-2010, 10:04 AM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
The only way to have a definitive answer any of those questions is to (1) read the original loan agreement, and (2) know the laws of the state of residence of the borrower. That said, I would expect that the bank can repossess the RV, and possibly sue the buyer for the difference between what they can get for it and the loan amount. I would not expect that they can repossess any other property, or put a lien on their home.

joe
Old 10-06-2010, 10:13 AM   #3

Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingDiver View Post
I would not expect that they can repossess any other property, or put a lien on their home.
Unless, of course, they used a home equity loan to purchase the MH or used the home and/or other property for collateral on the MH loan. Another reason one would have to examine the original loan document as well as refer to applicable state law to know for certain.

Rusty
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 10:18 AM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RustyJC View Post
Unless, of course, they used a home equity loan to purchase the MH or used the home and/or other property for collateral on the MH loan. Another reason one would have to examine the original loan document as well as refer to applicable state law to know for certain.

Rusty
Quite right. The devil is in the details.

joe
Old 10-06-2010, 10:29 AM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Coastal Campers
He must contact the bank to try to work out something or turn it over to them. If it gets repoed he will owe the repo companies charges and any storage fees. Plus to redeem it, in my state anyway it was all of the repo fees, adds up to hundreds, back payments owed, current payment and one in advance. Tough to do. It will get sold at auction for whatever they can get and guess who still owes the rest?

The bank does not want to repo it because they will likely lose money in the long run, but they will. They sometimes offer interest only payments.

I only know this from working as a "lot manager" for a repo company over 20 years ago. I was on the guy you got your personal belongings back from or gave you the keys if you made it right with the bank. I was on strike from my real job so I took what I could get. Not a pretty business.
HD4Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 03:30 PM   #6

It has already been said. Unless the owner in default used an equity loan on his house, or used his house as collateral, the bank has no recourse on his personal home. Yes, when it is sold the person in default legally will owe the difference between sold price and owed price. Bank probably will probably file a lien on his other property for the difference if it great enough. The advice to work it out with the bank and not go into Repo is sound advice.
Izzyblueye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 04:22 PM   #7

Has he tried to sell it to avoid ruining what's left of his credit? How much more does he owe on it than it's really worth?(not what he thinks/hopes its worth)

He should try to work something out with the bank if he owes much more than it's worth
adlerx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 07:44 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
Even if the motorhome is repo'ed and sold at auction or what ever means the bank uses to dispose of it, the original loan holder will still be responsible for the difference in the sale price and the loan balance plus any fees such as legal fees, repo fees, clean up fees etc. If the bank "forgives" the remaining balance, you will receive a 1099 at the end of the year reporting the amount as income.

The bank has no real incentive to maximize the sale price. So they would be better off selling it on their own and taking a smaller loss.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 05:08 AM   #9
paz

I agree with HD4Mike - tell your friend to contact the bank to try to work something out. Tell him not to just stop making payments. Maybe they will let him just pay the interest to buy time while he tries to sell it.

And even if he sells the motorhome for less than he owes, he will still probably get more than the bank will get if he allows the bank to repossess it. As TXiceman says, the bank has no incentive to maximize the price. If the bank sells the motorhome for less than he owes, he will still be responsible for the difference.
paz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 06:03 AM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Find a buyer who will buy the rv with money owing on it. Clear title may be hard to get.
rebelone is offline   Reply With Quote