Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-30-2014, 08:53 AM   #1

Resealing window after removal

I pulled one of the windows on my HR Endeavor and noticed only a thin foam type gasket.

Don't think I want to just put it back in this way, after 15 years. The gasket width is about 1/2".

Should I use that butyl tape for the reinstall?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-30-2014, 09:03 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
I used foam from Home Depot or Lowes. While the more dense black closed-cell foam can be snugged in stages, I like the lighter density gray stuff that is easier to compress. I let mine (I did several windows on my Fleetwood) sit overnight and then ran a bead of black caulking around the perimeter. None leaked.

Old 04-30-2014, 09:09 AM   #3

Do you want to be able to get the window out again? Assuming you are talking about a house window frame assembly and the mechanical fasteners you removed were sufficient to hold the window in and the foam did the sealing OK when it was compressed in place. If you replace that with something sticky that cures you will glue the window down making another removal difficult to impossible without damage. New foam should be sufficient. If any of the assumptions are wrong then consider what you want to accomplish. This is one of the places where one can really be too aggressive making sure of seals.
Old 04-30-2014, 09:44 AM   #4

From what I understand, butyl is not really a permanent type of glue, more like putty.

My window has the standard inside screws and a metal trim ring to attach to the outside window system.

I'm not against foam, if it's the correct application and I can find it in the right thickness and type.
Old 04-30-2014, 11:48 AM   #5

There is a special two sided tape for installing rv windows. I purchase a roll at the rv dealer. You stick it to either the window or the wall then the window is sandwiched over the wall. This tape is thick and provides a good seal. Attached utube video on installation.
Old 04-30-2014, 12:07 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad Bolt View Post
From what I understand, butyl is not really a permanent type of glue, more like putty.

My window has the standard inside screws and a metal trim ring to attach to the outside window system.

I'm not against foam, if it's the correct application and I can find it in the right thickness and type.
I've had most of my windows in and out (fogging). I use 1" Butyl tape and just trim the excess (the squeeze) with plastic putty knife. You can remove the window anytime by running a putty knife around it to break the seal ... eezy-peezy. Butyl is a much better seal than the original gasket which typically has very little sealing area at the corners.

BTW, If you remove all the screws from the inside trim ring you can leave it in the window hole ... usually easier than having to remove the valance, blinds, and other stuff.
Old 04-30-2014, 07:16 PM   #7

I have done several rv windows.... Always used butyl tape. I dont bother trimming the excess for a week or so because it will squeeze out slowly
Old 04-30-2014, 08:10 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by JManatee View Post
I have done several rv windows.... Always used butyl tape. I dont bother trimming the excess for a week or so because it will squeeze out slowly
X2 it comes in black and white.
Old 05-01-2014, 09:47 PM   #9

I used butyl tape when I repaired my fogged windows. I've had to trim the spreading edge a couple of times.
Fred
Old 06-14-2014, 09:20 AM   #10

Hello,

I've seen the video from Darwin on how to re-seal the windows with the tape, but my windows are not like that. There are no screws on the inside or in the window sides however, if you look at the outside of my windows there is a strip of rubber which if removed exposes a bunch of screws. Remember this is on the outside of the RV. I have searched everywhere for videos or instructions on how to remove this type of window and put some new tape underneath. Does anybody have any knowledge on doing these windows?
Old 06-14-2014, 01:02 PM   #11

I think I posted in the wrong area, I don't own a class A motor home I have a 26' 1986 Travel Villa in very good condition for the age I think the owner before me kept it in a car port or a garage.

Tags
removal, seal, window