Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-19-2016, 09:58 AM   #127

Quote:
Originally Posted by LSC9901 View Post
I'm sorry ... I must have missed the part where I said I used the internet exclusively. Let me re-read what I wrote. Huh .... I didn't say anything about the internet. Please do not put words in my mouth. I can say most everything that I think and believe.

I'm very happy the tires YOU CHOOSE, probably based on your needs work for you. Your choice is not my choice. I rely on my research, from several sources that I find useful and honest, to make my decisions. We seldom, if ever run at 90% capacity. Once again I would state that my personal research, from several trusted sources, allows me to choose a brand other than the one some swear by. My choice has and continues to serve me very well.

Please tell me where I'm going so wrong by not using your brand when my needs are met by a brand that I find superior to, or at least equal to, your choice? A choice which I do not condemn you for. I'm assuming that you did some homework concerning your choice and hopefully your choice, not mine, serves you well.

When will the Michelin owners stop denigrating users of other brands ? Pretty sure I didn't make false accusations concerning your choices.
Well said.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-19-2016, 04:08 PM   #128

Quote:
I have not but I will say that after research that applies to my type of use, my choice worked well for my application. After having read so much about the sidewall issues I didn't want to spend my money to prove what the other reviews have already stated .... time and time again. Now maybe for others needs that brand fits their needs. For me they are an over priced unreliable tire. I am happy with the choice I made. The ride is very good. I've had no problems with them (yet) and the price (the least of my concerns) was acceptable for me.

How can something that has worked well in all of my expectations be bad ? Just because one tire works for one user, it doesn't make it the best tire out there. we probably don't use the same toilet paper either but I'll bet you are happy with yours.
Quote:
I'm sorry ... I must have missed the part where I said I used the internet exclusively. Let me re-read what I wrote. Huh .... I didn't say anything about the internet. Please do not put words in my mouth. I can say most everything that I think and believe.

I'm very happy the tires YOU CHOOSE, probably based on your needs work for you. Your choice is not my choice. I rely on my research, from several sources that I find useful and honest, to make my decisions. We seldom, if ever run at 90% capacity. Once again I would state that my personal research, from several trusted sources, allows me to choose a brand other than the one some swear by. My choice has and continues to serve me very well.

Please tell me where I'm going so wrong by not using your brand when my needs are met by a brand that I find superior to, or at least equal to, your choice? A choice which I do not condemn you for. I'm assuming that you did some homework concerning your choice and hopefully your choice, not mine, serves you well.

When will the Michelin owners stop denigrating users of other brands ? Pretty sure I didn't make false accusations concerning your choices.
You are correct, My bad for assuming you were reading the information on the Internet only.

Old 01-19-2016, 05:00 PM   #129

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMTTRANSPORT View Post
You are correct, My bad for assuming you were reading the information on the Internet only.
I can only assume that you have either forgotten about books, magazines, television, tire dealers and consumers or just never knew about those sources. In neither of the quotes does it say INTERNET OR INTERNET ONLY.

By all means be happy with your choice of tires. I only ask that you respect my choice and my reasons for choosing what is best for my particular case.

LSC9901 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2016, 05:06 PM   #130

Lots of opinions, not many substantiated facts linked to prove the opinion. Michelin sidewall cracks are recognized by Michelin on their website.. Goodyear RV tire (G670) rivering is not recognized by Goodyear as a tire issue on their website; instead this Goodyear pdf indicates it may be related to the specific truck/RV, such as steering components, frame flex, wheel-base,etc. So, it is a known issue.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2016, 06:08 PM   #131

Quote:
Originally Posted by 427ford View Post
With 6-8 tires on a MH, I'm assuming many owners rebalance occasionally. How about rotating?
On a diesel pusher rotating tires requires de-mounting and switching rims. The inner dual is usually steel, the remainder are aluminum.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2016, 09:41 AM   #132
Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 427ford View Post
Pretty sure Michelin is not made in US. Just sayin'. I agree with your reasoning, but it's pretty difficult to find a US made tire. I'm a big fan of Michelin tires. The load range E tires on my F250 have 75k on them, and still are in pretty decent shape. I do rotate, balance, check pressure and alignment periodically. I have Yokohama's on my Miata. Plenty of good brands out there.
You can check the country of origin on all tires by simply reading the tire sidewall. By law they are required to say " Made in xxxx".
You can also learn the location of the individual tire plant by using this web site to "translate" the first two characters of the DOT serial.

With a little research you would learn things such as most Firestone and Bridgestone truck tires ( 22.5") are made in the same plant in Tennessee.

As I have pointed out in my blog a number of times I do not believe that the Zip code of the plant where a tire is made is a reliable predictor of tire quality. The performance & quality goals for a line of tires is established by the volume buyer. If low price is about the only thing required then it may be more likely that some tire plants, not owned by a 1st or even 2nd tier tire company, would be of lower quality. Tire warranty is IMO a good indicator of the quality as a warranty replacement costs the seller much more than just the cost of a new tire so companies do not warranty returns so will make a better effort to make it right the first time.

IMO No Warranty or very short warranty = Lower quality product.
Old 01-20-2016, 09:56 AM   #133

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMTTRANSPORT View Post
If you read it on the internet...it must be true, We use Michelin exclusively on our Heavy Haul Trucks here in S Nevada, probably the best proving ground there is, without an issue, ALL the other BRANDS did not hold up.
We run MAX weight 90% of the time.
DMTTRANSPORT
Why did you experiment with ALL the other BRANDS if Michelins are so wonderful?
Mel
'96 Safari
Old 01-20-2016, 08:51 PM   #134
Senior Dude

Forest River Owners Club
Quote:

Well put!
Old 01-20-2016, 09:06 PM   #135

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mich F View Post
When did Michelin become an American company? Why doesn't a mod just close this foolish thread?
Michelin makes good tires as do a lot of other companies. They have had issues with a number of their tires, but in many cases have stood behind their product and replaced those tires.
They also are manufactured in many countries, one of which is (or at least was) China.
Quote:
Michelin North America is a $10.76 billion dollar a year company operating 19 plants in 16 locations and employs 22,000 people.
Michelin has been a part of the tire industry in the United States since 1907 when it purchased the International Rubber Company in Milltown, New Jersey.
Here's the true story. About Michelin North America | Michelin US
Seems like Michelin employs more people in the US than a lot of "US" companies do!
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2016, 10:47 PM   #136

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
Here's the true story. About Michelin North America | Michelin US
Seems like Michelin employs more people in the US than a lot of "US" companies do!
But it is a foreign, not American company.
Headquartered in Clermont-Ferrand, France, Michelin is present in more than 170 countries, has 112,300 employees and operates 68 production plants in 17 different countries. The Group has a Technology Center in charge of research, development and process engineering, with operations in Europe, North America and Asia.
Mich F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2016, 11:03 PM   #137

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mich F View Post
But it is a foreign, not American company.
Headquartered in Clermont-Ferrand, France, Michelin is present in more than 170 countries, has 112,300 employees and operates 68 production plants in 17 different countries. The Group has a Technology Center in charge of research, development and process engineering, with operations in Europe, North America and Asia.
Gotten off topic so I won't bother to respond.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2016, 07:53 AM   #138

I don't tell the true story of my set of my sidewall cracked Michelin tires to convince Michelin lovers they are wrong.

I tell it as a service to anyone considering new tires for their coach.

IMO it matters not that thousand of Michelins have not failed.
What matters to me, (and what should matter to any coach owner), is that the fact that Michelin Customer Care determined that the 6 Michelin tires I bought where NO LONGER SAFE TO USE when they were only 42 months old, (per the DOT date code).

Personally I will never buy another Michelin.
Would you??

Mel
'96 Safari
Old 01-21-2016, 08:50 AM   #139
Commercial Member

Our xenofobia might be showing.

Still have never seen test data that demonstrates a causal relationship for tire problems with the color the factory is painted or the first language of the plant manager.
Old 01-21-2016, 09:05 AM   #140

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
The entire tire discussion seems misguided to me. I believe it is fine to discuss why you don't like any brand of tire or why you feel your choice is better than the others. If I can justify my purchase to myself then just how is it that my choice is wrong.

I have stated it before and I will again. Not everyone utilizes their motor home in the same manner. Some live in them. Some travel for 6 months and some are weekend campers. I cannot be convinced that it is a one tire fits all world. There is a lot written, in many different medias, about different qualities, abilities and durability of tires. If I were living in my motor home 24/7/365, then I can assure you that my choice would be different than what I have now. The most important part of that statement is "CHOICE". I'd like to believe that by the time you have figured out that you'd like to own a motor home, you have attained enough common sense to make educated choices. Yes we can always learn but not through negative responses.

Keep in mind that facts are educated opinions based on agreement with that opinion and research of the validity of those points. Often times what is valid and important to one has far less validity to another. The wide range of products available to us whether it be tires, RV's, fuel, engines or whatever, exists because we make choices. A product may be the "Best" for you but not so much for the next person.

Can't we all just respect the choices of others ? I'm always ready to read opinions but not the ones where it is a narrow view. I've had my opinion changed before due to positive re-enforcement of a product but when that product becomes the only viable product with no exceptions, that opinion carries little value.

LSC9901 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tires