Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-21-2016, 09:23 AM   #141

Quote:
Originally Posted by LSC9901 View Post
I'm sorry ... I must have missed the part where I said I used the internet exclusively. Let me re-read what I wrote. Huh .... I didn't say anything about the internet. Please do not put words in my mouth. I can say most everything that I think and believe.

I'm very happy the tires YOU CHOOSE, probably based on your needs work for you. Your choice is not my choice. I rely on my research, from several sources that I find useful and honest, to make my decisions. We seldom, if ever run at 90% capacity. Once again I would state that my personal research, from several trusted sources, allows me to choose a brand other than the one some swear by. My choice has and continues to serve me very well.

Please tell me where I'm going so wrong by not using your brand when my needs are met by a brand that I find superior to, or at least equal to, your choice? A choice which I do not condemn you for. I'm assuming that you did some homework concerning your choice and hopefully your choice, not mine, serves you well.

When will the Michelin owners stop denigrating users of other brands ? Pretty sure I didn't make false accusations concerning your choices.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LSC9901 View Post
The entire tire discussion seems misguided to me. I believe it is fine to discuss why you don't like any brand of tire or why you feel your choice is better than the others. If I can justify my purchase to myself then just how is it that my choice is wrong.

I have stated it before and I will again. Not everyone utilizes their motor home in the same manner. Some live in them. Some travel for 6 months and some are weekend campers. I cannot be convinced that it is a one tire fits all world. There is a lot written, in many different medias, about different qualities, abilities and durability of tires. If I were living in my motor home 24/7/365, then I can assure you that my choice would be different than what I have now. The most important part of that statement is "CHOICE". I'd like to believe that by the time you have figured out that you'd like to own a motor home, you have attained enough common sense to make educated choices. Yes we can always learn but not through negative responses.

Keep in mind that facts are educated opinions based on agreement with that opinion and research of the validity of those points. Often times what is valid and important to one has far less validity to another. The wide range of products available to us whether it be tires, RV's, fuel, engines or whatever, exists because we make choices. A product may be the "Best" for you but not so much for the next person.

Can't we all just respect the choices of others ? I'm always ready to read opinions but not the ones where it is a narrow view. I've had my opinion changed before due to positive re-enforcement of a product but when that product becomes the only viable product with no exceptions, that opinion carries little value.
LSC9901
I agree
"Opinions" and "advertising hype" have little to do with the usefulness of any particular tire or brand of tire.
Mel
'96 Safari

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-21-2016, 11:32 PM   #142

Ray - As I understand it, 'all positions' does mean 'all positions'. So steers, drives, tags.

=====

The rest of this thread just goes to show we have many with various opinions. Many with hands on experiences. Some have had problems with a specific manufacturer and tire. While others have had zero problems with the same manufacturer and tire.

Some feel Michelin buyers pay too much for the tires they are buying.

Some feel that Michelin are the only tires to buy.

As I read this thread, and many, many others - I see just as many Michelin hater's, as I do fans.

Me? I have a 5-6 year old Michelin XZE* tires, with no signs of cracking.

Mel - Had a set of Michelin XZE's that were cracked so bad he had to replace them, and Michelin did not step up to owning that this specific set of tire's problems, did not support him. (And after reading many of Mel's posts on many subjects (Quite a few on tires!), I see no reason to doubt his experience.

I was in the process of replacing my final 6 Michelin XZE*'s, after losing two about 6 months ago to some nasty pot holes. Had researched some, and ended up ordering a replacement set while in Oregon, but circumstances kept me from being able to have them installed when planned. And as it turned out, these tires were not what I had thought they were, and or what I had asked the tire dealer for in the way of performance. So glad they're not on our coach now.

In the next few months, I'll be replacing my Michelin XZE*'s, well 6 of them, have 2 6 months old BF Goodrich ST230's on the steers. (During the Michelin shortage, and was glad to get these.)

I'll again look at Michelin, Continental, Toyo's, Bridgestone's, Hankook's, BF Goodrich, and others. With the 12R 22.5 tire size, not all models are available to me as other more popular tire sizes.

I'll make my decision based upon safety, price, warranty - in that order. And I frankly can care less what the name is on the tire at the end of that decision. My money, my choice.

And that is how it should be...

IMO, this thread has run it's course. The OP now knows what All Position means... and we should move on. I will!

Best to all, be safe, have fun,
Smitty

Old 01-22-2016, 07:16 AM   #143
Senior Dude

Forest River Owners Club
There are so many additional factors involved in how tires are used, maintained, stored, cleaned, exposed to sun, etc. that affect the longevity of the tire itself.

Without monitoring each person's criteria mentioned above, problems experienced with a particular brand may be related to issues other than how the tire is made and serves the individual.
Old 01-22-2016, 10:36 AM   #144

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smitty77 View Post
Mel - Had a set of Michelin XZE's that were cracked so bad he had to replace them, and Michelin did not step up to owning that this specific set of tire's problems, did not support him. (And after reading many of Mel's posts on many subjects (Quite a few on tires!), I see no reason to doubt his experience.
Smitty
Smitty77
Michelin Customer Care made the determination that the sidewall cracks in my then 3-1/2 year old Michelin tires were bad enough that they needed to be replaced.

Although Michelin Customer Care did authorize the replacement of all six tires at a reduced price, the procedure, (from inspection to replacement), took over 2 months, was not inexpensive...and did not restore the faith I once had in Michelin tires.

The way I see it the only way I can protect myself from having another bad experience with Michelin tires is to never buy another Michelin tire.

Mel
'96 Safari
Old 01-22-2016, 10:43 AM   #145

Quote:
Originally Posted by mel s View Post
Smitty77
Michelin Customer Care made the determination that the sidewall cracks in my then 3-1/2 year old Michelin tires were bad enough that they needed to be replaced.

Although Michelin Customer Care did authorize the replacement of all six tires at a reduced price, the procedure, (from inspection to replacement), took over 2 months, was not inexpensive...and did not restore the faith I once had in Michelin tires.

The way I see it the only way I can protect myself from having another bad experience with Michelin tires is to never buy another Michelin tire.

Mel
'96 Safari

10-4 Mel - Understand this completely.

Just as I had a unfortunate experience with highly respected Tire Dealer - where we both lost money. I will not be doing business with this dealer over the next 10-15 years of future RV'ing, nor be referring them.

Even good companies have some customers that have lost trust in them.

Best to you, and again, I'll be going thru my decision process again soon. No idea what will be on the coach when this is done!

Smitty
Old 01-22-2016, 09:55 PM   #146

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smitty77 View Post
Ray - As I understand it, 'all positions' does mean 'all positions'. So steers, drives, tags.

=====

The rest of this thread just goes to show we have many with various opinions. Many with hands on experiences. Some have had problems with a specific manufacturer and tire. While others have had zero problems with the same manufacturer and tire.

Some feel Michelin buyers pay too much for the tires they are buying.

Some feel that Michelin are the only tires to buy.

As I read this thread, and many, many others - I see just as many Michelin hater's, as I do fans.

Me? I have a 5-6 year old Michelin XZE* tires, with no signs of cracking.

I was in the process of replacing my final 6 Michelin XZE*'s, after losing two about 6 months ago to some nasty pot holes. Had researched some, and ended up ordering a replacement set while in Oregon, but circumstances kept me from being able to have them installed when planned. And as it turned out, these tires were not what I had thought they were, and or what I had asked the tire dealer for in the way of performance. So glad they're not on our coach now.

In the next few months, I'll be replacing my Michelin XZE*'s, well 6 of them, have 2 6 months old BF Goodrich ST230's on the steers. (During the Michelin shortage, and was glad to get these.)

I'll again look at Michelin, Continental, Toyo's, Bridgestone's, Hankook's, BF Goodrich, and others. With the 12R 22.5 tire size, not all models are available to me as other more popular tire sizes.

I'll make my decision based upon safety, price, warranty - in that order. And I frankly can care less what the name is on the tire at the end of that decision. My money, my choice.

And that is how it should be...

IMO, this thread has run it's course. The OP now knows what All Position means... and we should move on. I will!

Best to all, be safe, have fun,
Smitty
Good reply Smitty, I agree with you. BTW, I have requested my thread be closed because of the personal stuff happening on previous pages.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2016, 11:09 AM   #147

Quote:
Originally Posted by mel s View Post
DMTTRANSPORT
Why did you experiment with ALL the other BRANDS if Michelins are so wonderful?
Mel
'96 Safari
The Michelins were the last stop, yes I was also trying to save $$, now I am...(worked my way from the bottom up) Don't like em, don't use em...simple, somebody asks a ? I answer with my experience...
Old 01-24-2016, 08:05 PM   #148

I'm also picking up new tires for the first time .
I'm not against using cheaper no name brand tires but try to balance things out. I have TOYO today at 245 75 22.5 , I wanted to replace with Toyo. I looked around and got great prices for Yokohama for 2300 out the door for 6 and the good years for 2560 and off name for 1800
So it's very hard to make a decision , I'm leaning towards yokohama . But may end up with no name for 1800..
Had China tires on my big heavy sedan and it was actually fine and no issues for 5 yrs.

Tags
tires