Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-22-2015, 11:25 PM   #15
Senior Dude

Forest River Owners Club
I dabble in coaches and I have bought new tires for the 5 coaches I've owned in the last 5 years.

I'm a big advocate of buying a proven tire without paying through the nose for a name.
I don't believe in buying a Ferrari when a Cadillac will do.

I will typically buy all position tires, meaning that they can go on drive axels or steering. The thought behind this is that if I held on to a coach long enough, I could choose to rotate them if needed. (I've never owned a coach long enough to rotate them LOL)

I have put Toyo M154 -16 ply - All Position tires on several coaches with great success in steering, handling and ride. In my research on tire issues, I couldn't find any that had as few negatives as the Toyo's. Price averaged around $3200 installed out the door.

On my most recent coach, I couldn't get Toyos anywhere close enough to where I bought the coach and opted for the Hancook AH12's. These were also a 16 ply All Position tire. They have performed well with no issues in the several 1000 miles I have put on them. They handle and ride well. Cost for these installed out the door was $2600.

Personally, I stay away from the cheaper mainstream trucking tires such as Sailun, Double Coin, Samson and the like. Not that I have any experience to say anything derogatory, just a preference to stay with certain brands known for their quality and performance. I believe there is a point though, that you sacrifice a lot of comfort, ride and longevity for price.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-23-2015, 06:59 AM   #16

A big reason that Michelin and Goodyear, Toyo and Hankook are more expensive is Advertising costs. When you advertise, it costs money, but brings more demand. Higher demand allows a higher price point. It has nothing to do with quality.

If non-advertised tire brands failed at higher rates, then the NTSB would issue alerts, and forums/trucking sites would publicize those warnings. I don't know of any warnings (other than rivering on GYs)

A TPMS is the biggest key to tire safety.

My 22.5 Samsons replaced GY670s. Cost for all six, mounted/balanced was a bit less than $2000. Add $300 for a TPMS. 6,000 miles later, they don't leak air and ride smoothly. I'm a happy camper.

Old 06-23-2015, 08:21 AM   #17
Senior Dude

Forest River Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by bamaboy473 View Post
A big reason that Michelin and Goodyear, Toyo and Hankook are more expensive is Advertising costs. When you advertise, it costs money, but brings more demand. Higher demand allows a higher price point. It has nothing to do with quality.

If non-advertised tire brands failed at higher rates, then the NTSB would issue alerts, and forums/trucking sites would publicize those warnings. I don't know of any warnings (other than rivering on GYs)

A TPMS is the biggest key to tire safety.

My 22.5 Samsons replaced GY670s. Cost for all six, mounted/balanced was a bit less than $2000. Add $300 for a TPMS. 6,000 miles later, they don't leak air and ride smoothly. I'm a happy camper.
Sorry Rick....but it's not all about advertising that raises the cost for all tires. Although, that may be the case with Michelin's and Good Years. I will agree with you on those two brands.

In most other cases, it has to do with the rubber compound used in the making of the tires. It is a well known fact that Chinese manufactured tires use a lesser grade of rubber in their tires and as well, their manufacturing guidelines are not as strict as many of the Korean and American made tires. Another factor is the costs of manufacturing in China, simply cost less. Lastly, warranty may also come into play.
The fact that they are made of rubber, hold air and go round and round does not make them equal.

Trucking firms use the Sailuns, Samsons and Double Coin and the like because of economics. Due of the lower cost of these brands, they can replace them with less impact to their bottom line. They don't buy them because they are a better tire!

The other factor that will raise the cost of the tire is the ability to better carry weight. The Toyos and Hancooks I mentioned in my previous post are a load range "H" - 16 ply tire.
On a 40' Diesel Pusher, you have to go with a tire that is spec'd for the weight range it needs to carry.
More weigh = More plys = More cost.
Had I been able to drop to a load range "G" - 14 ply, I could have saved almost $100 per tire. ($600 on the full set)

Your 37' Mandalay would likely not have the weight requirement for the higher load range.

A TPMS system, although a great idea, won't tell when your tire is going to come apart due to a manufacture flaw.

The bottom line is to do your research and know what you need.

I have and I feel confident that it won't be me leaving alligators and parts of my motorhome on the road as I travel.

This is just an opinion of course.
Old 06-23-2015, 08:36 AM   #18

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Our bus take 19.5's so we probably get away with it a bit cheaper than the big boys. We went with Hankook 245/70R19.5 G AH-11's and walked out the door for $1873 which included labor and taxes. According to everything I've read Hankook is a tier 2 tire but it has the proper specs with plenty of recommendations from many sources. We are just weekenders and seldom travel very far so with the recommendations we feel comfortable and safe without an outrageous price. Pretty sure time will beat any wear.

LSC9901 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2015, 09:06 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogpatch View Post

Good post, Les. It's about how we (individually) weight the parameters of what we think we need and want. Cost is an easy one to weigh, while every other parameter is subjective.

Since I know that my tires will never wear out from miles, and I'll likely not keep any MH as long as my tires will last, cost becomes a bigger factor than it might be to others who do a ton of driving.

Blow-outs from manufacturing are subjective, IMO, because I see a good number of shredded Michelin and Goodyear tires at tire shops (along with every other brand, too) Point being, any tire can blow.

You're correct about my MH being less weight than a 40' coach. I also air them at 103 up front and 88 on the rears, and keep an eye on the TPMS.
At those pressures, the ride is very comfortable and quiet.
Old 06-23-2015, 09:32 AM   #20

Vintage RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
I like firestones for the price but would not be afraid to run the ones your looking at
Old 06-23-2015, 09:35 AM   #21
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray,IN View Post
In the past I've ran Sailun truck tires on my 5er and obtained great results, while eliminating my failing ST tire problem.
I'm considering buying Sailun S637, 275/70R22.5, LR H truck tires for our MH. AT $219 ea, they are a very good buy.
That website says they are steer and trailer tires, but don't mention drive axle. The Sailun website says they are "all-position" tires, does that mean they may be used on the drive axle? Comments and recommendations are welcome.
I AM NOT going to buy the over-priced Michelin or Goodyear MH tires unless I have no other valid option.

Ray, I found out that "researching" tires can drive you nuts!

I've never heard of that brand of tires. "all-position" does mean you can run them as steer or drive tires! Good luck!

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2015, 09:46 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogpatch View Post
Sorry Rick....but it's not all about advertising that raises the cost for all tires. Although, that may be the case with Michelin's and Good Years. I will agree with you on those two brands.

In most other cases, it has to do with the rubber compound used in the making of the tires. It is a well known fact that Chinese manufactured tires use a lesser grade of rubber in their tires and as well, their manufacturing guidelines are not as strict as many of the Korean and American made tires. Another factor is the costs of manufacturing in China, simply cost less. Lastly, warranty may also come into play.
The fact that they are made of rubber, hold air and go round and round does not make them equal.

Trucking firms use the Sailuns, Samsons and Double Coin and the like because of economics. Due of the lower cost of these brands, they can replace them with less impact to their bottom line. They don't buy them because they are a better tire!

The other factor that will raise the cost of the tire is the ability to better carry weight. The Toyos and Hancooks I mentioned in my previous post are a load range "H" - 16 ply tire.
On a 40' Diesel Pusher, you have to go with a tire that is spec'd for the weight range it needs to carry.
More weigh = More plys = More cost.
Had I been able to drop to a load range "G" - 14 ply, I could have saved almost $100 per tire. ($600 on the full set)

Your 37' Mandalay would likely not have the weight requirement for the higher load range.

A TPMS system, although a great idea, won't tell when your tire is going to come apart due to a manufacture flaw.

I have and I feel confident that it won't be me leaving alligators and parts of my motorhome on the road as I travel.

This is just an opinion of course.

Just a clarification. The ply rating on tires is a throwback to the 1950s. A modern all steel commercial tire has 4-5 tread plies and one sidewall ply. The ply rating has nothing to do with the physical construction of the tire.

Steve Ownby
Full time since '07
Steve Ownby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2015, 09:46 AM   #23

I really cant read threads like these on the internet anymore and take anything seriously. With phrases like "Well known fact" being tossed around without a single source.

China can and does make some really great products, like the computer you are using now, even my MAC. They make your TV and yes they will even make cheap tires if you tell them you want a tire but dont want to pay for it.

You can go to the motorcycle dealer show in Indy and order cheap helmets or other items by the 1/4 container load that look nearly identical to very expensive helmets or other things if you budget is limited as a "Manufacturer". Heck you can see two different items that look nearly identical but have drastically different prices due to the spec they were ordered under. So please spare us all the made in China speech, they make pretty much everything you touch. You would not be reading this without the China Machine.

I am in Indy looking to buy a set of Yokahama or Toyo, but I would be fine with Double Coin or Samson tires for my 22.5 rims.

I would add that if the cheaper tires are in fact inferior and trucking companies run them, they are not saving a dime by just replacing them when they fail since "Clearly" they must fail all the time right? SMH.
Old 06-23-2015, 10:43 AM   #24

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Thank you Vectraguy!
Grey Ghost I is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2015, 11:02 AM   #25
Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Ownby View Post
Just a clarification. The ply rating on tires is a throwback to the 1950s. A modern all steel commercial tire has 4-5 tread plies and one sidewall ply. The ply rating has nothing to do with the physical construction of the tire.

Steve Ownby
Full time since '07

Absolutely correct.
When I started as a tire design engineer (1969) one of my first jobs with to re-design a bias truck tire from 6 ply Nylon to 4 ply Nylon while keeping the "8-Ply" rating.
The load capacity of a tire is based on its inflation pressure and not the number of layers of reinforcement material (plys)
There are a number of different tests a tire must pass and none of the tests or evaluations involve counting layers of material but all do involve different levels of Load, Inflation and speed that a tire needs to be able to pass.
Old 06-23-2015, 11:09 AM   #26

God, I love reading these posts! Good topics with a variety of opinions. If the reader gets nothing else from the message, they should at least get the point that with anything as important as tires you need to do your homework and research the market.

FYI - China does make lots of things very well. I'm from Texas and they even make my Ariat cowboy boots! Is nothing sacred? :-(
Old 06-23-2015, 12:02 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Micah.TX View Post
...........FYI - China does make lots of things very well. I'm from Texas and they even make my Ariat cowboy boots! Is nothing sacred? :-(
What are you thinking, man?!?!?! Why, it's a well known fact that Chinese Cowboy Boots aren't even made out of real cowboys! And not only that, if you ever walk faster than a slow stroll, your soles are likely to explode, killing anyone within half a furlong!

Oh, the humanity!
Old 06-23-2015, 12:57 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by FleetMan View Post
Ray, The Steer/Trailer tire designation is usually determined by the tread design. It is and can be an all position tire but it does not qualify for an all weather or traction tread designation. There are no restrictions to using that tire on the drive axle however, have your tire chains readily available if you intend to do any mountain driving if there is any possibility of snow or ice.
Thank you, that is what I wanted to know about the position designation. I would rather have good wet road traction than a super-low price. Oddly, that is the only tire Sailun makes in that size.
One of the things that make Sailun tires less money is less tread depth. That is not a concern for me because virtually all MH tires are not replaced due to tread remaining, but age and condition or failure.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tires