Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-24-2015, 09:22 AM   #43

Ford Super Duty Owner
I'm an importer (from China) of non-tire parts. Quality can vary wildly and in most sectors, their manufacturing quality is under what we expect in the USA. Our stance on quality is "prove it".

That being said, China IS capable of producing high quality items across the spectrum, you've just got to find the few manufacturers that aren't trying to compete at the lowest price point possible.... Most are simply competing on price, as low price is what sells.

I basically threw away OEM tires from China. I've got a thread on it, but I tracked the manufacturing back (via DOT code) to the same company that provides a known-crappy brand. The OEM tires on my 5th wheel appeared to be a simple re-brand of the same tire and I couldn't get the importer to give my any definitive differences in the tire I was concerned about and the new brand. The manufacturer didn't respond.

Note, I bought another set of tires, also from China - but based on good feedback, observations around weight of the tire, firmness of the tire, and lack of documented complaints...

Tires will always be a controversial issue... Be assured you CAN get good products out of China, but aggressive due diligence is required.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-25-2015, 01:24 AM   #44

I plan on replacing my 245/70R/19.5 Goodyear G670's with Continental's over the weekend of the 4th. Will let you know how it goes.

Old 06-26-2015, 09:26 PM   #45
Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cb1000rider View Post
I'm an importer (from China) of non-tire parts. Quality can vary wildly and in most sectors, their manufacturing quality is under what we expect in the USA. Our stance on quality is "prove it".

That being said, China IS capable of producing high quality items across the spectrum, you've just got to find the few manufacturers that aren't trying to compete at the lowest price point possible.... Most are simply competing on price, as low price is what sells.

I basically threw away OEM tires from China. I've got a thread on it, but I tracked the manufacturing back (via DOT code) to the same company that provides a known-crappy brand. The OEM tires on my 5th wheel appeared to be a simple re-brand of the same tire and I couldn't get the importer to give my any definitive differences in the tire I was concerned about and the new brand. The manufacturer didn't respond.

Note, I bought another set of tires, also from China - but based on good feedback, observations around weight of the tire, firmness of the tire, and lack of documented complaints...

Tires will always be a controversial issue... Be assured you CAN get good products out of China, but aggressive due diligence is required.
I agree. Before I retires one of the last projects I was given was to collect and run durability tests on tires made in China.
Some passed with flying colors. Others did not fare so well. Upon examination it seemed to come down to attention to detail. If the manufacturing plant understood that some feature was important they paid attention and got that right. But if there was a feature they didn't understand or it hadn't been pointed out that the feature was important it might not have received the attention it needed.

If a tire importer or large RV assembler orders a container load of tires and only specifies the size and that the tires be low cost, that is what will be shipped.
IMO on the other hand if the RV assembler were to specify a tire with higher load capacity than the bare minimum required by DOT or if higher speed capability was specified, I am confident that the tire plant in Asia has the technical capability to deliver such a product but ONLY IF IT IS ASKED TO DELIVER SUCH A PRODUCT.

I know that the major tire companies (big three) and maybe some of the second tier tire companies understand that not all tire markets are the same. Usage varies. As a result different design standards are specified.

Here in the US with even the highest speed limit at 80 mph we really do not need tires capable of 130 or 140+ mph as they might in Germany. BUT due to the size of the US it is possible for a driver to set their cruse at 75 or higher and run that speed with no slow down for a couple of hours in TX in August with ambient above 110F while a driver in Germany might see 85F but only be able to drive at high speed for 20 minutes before reaching an area of lower speed. This different usage can mean different performance capabilities are required.

Different markets have different requirements and if the person ordering tires doesn't really understand tire durability, they will probably not provide appropriate specs such that they will receive the best product for the application.
Old 06-27-2015, 09:25 PM   #46

Sailun tires are sold mainly in Canada, because that's were the company is located. They are beginning to slowly spread world-wide. I have discovered that many Cooper Tire dealers also handle Sailun tires. I bought Sailun 16" S637 tires for my 5er in Chamberlain, SD. from a HDT service center.
Presently that is the stumbling block, availability of replacements/warranty claims in the U.S.A.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2015, 11:49 AM   #47
Commercial Member

Simply Tire a distributor for Sailun and many other private Brand tires is in the US.

Just be aware that their sales staff are really just order takers. You need to know more than them
There is also both an ST and LT product in LR-G 110 psi with different max load and different p/n so be sure you order by p/n
Old 06-29-2015, 12:36 AM   #48

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray,IN View Post
Sailun tires are sold mainly in Canada, because that's were the company is located. They are beginning to slowly spread world-wide. I have discovered that many Cooper Tire dealers also handle Sailun tires. I bought Sailun 16" S637 tires for my 5er in Chamberlain, SD. from a HDT service center.
Presently that is the stumbling block, availability of replacements/warranty claims in the U.S.A.
It's true that Sailun is expanding globally but they are a Chinese-based corporation. They have divisions all over the world including Canada and the U.S. ...click here for all their worldwide divisions listed in the "Regions" menu.

Their U.S. headquarters is located in Palm Beach Gardens Florida. Their Canadian headquarters is in Woodbridge Ontario just outside Toronto.

Their global corporate office, however, is in Qingdao China.

Click here for a "Brief Introduction of Sailun."

Here is their warranty info page from their U.S. website
Old 07-02-2015, 11:30 PM   #49

Just got new Firestone S560. New shoes all around!

$1850 out the door!

Ride great, no rivering like the Goodyear's.

Very happy so far.

I have never seen guts do tires so fast! Got there at 4pm, tires were done by 4:25. Simply amazing!
Old 07-02-2015, 11:48 PM   #50

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by cb1000rider View Post
I just replaced some E rated tires on a brand new Toy Hauler with Sailun's. The Sailun's probably weigh twice as much.
Which may or may not mean a thing other than they weigh more.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2015, 11:51 PM   #51

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogpatch View Post
It's all about the weight of your vehicle and important to know what that is on each tire point (4 corners). Each tire manufacturer usually has their own table to advise what inflation pressure is required for the weight it has to carry. It will give you a max. inflation pressure. You can adjust for comfort and ride. Your vehicle plate by your drivers seat shows recommended pressures that should be taken into account and will advise proper tire size designed for your coach.
The pressure on the sidewall of a Michelin RV tire and many others is not the "Maximum" the tire should ever have (unlike car tires) it is the minimum to support the maximum rated carrying capacity of the tire.

From the Michelin RV Tire Guide:
Quote:
"If you look at the tire's sidewall, you'll see the maximum load capacity allowed for the size tire and load rating, and the minimum cold air inflation needed to carry the maximum load.
From page 6 of the GoodYear RV Tire and Care Guide:
Quote:
"How much air is enough?
The proper air inflation for your tires depends on how much your fully loaded RV or trailer weighs. Look at the sidewall of your RV tire and you’ll see the maximum load capacity for the tire size and load rating, as well as the minimum cold air inflation, needed to carry that maximum load."
Inflation Pressure Safety Margin
Quote:
Toyo Tire does not recommend an “inflate-to-the-load” policy for RV tires. Tires that are inflated to accommodate the vehicle’s actual loads do not have any inflation safety margin. Consequently, even a minor loss of air pressure will cause the tires to be under-inflated and overloaded. Toyo Tire’s policy is to observe (as a minimum) the tire pressure established by the vehicle manufacturer as indicated on the tire information placard. There are multiple reasons why a safety margin
(by inflation) makes sense:
• All tires lose about 1-1.5 PSI per month due to natural permeation of the tire’s internal air pressure through the tire’s rubber membrane.
• In the event of slow air leaks from punctures, an inflation “reserve” may allow detection and repair of the leak prior to reaching a dangerously low inflation level.
• A safety margin is prudent for users who are apathetic regarding tire inflation maintenance.
But then they go ahead and publish a weight/pressure chart allowing lower pressure for RV's!!

From the August 2010 Motorhome Magazine "Tread Carefully" tire article:
Quote:
The maximum load capacity allowed for the size tire and load rating and the minimum cold air inflation needed to carry that maximum load are located on the tire’s sidewall.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2015, 08:24 AM   #52
Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
The pressure on the sidewall of a Michelin RV tire and many others is not the "Maximum" the tire should ever have (unlike car tires) it is the minimum to support the maximum rated carrying capacity of the tire.

From the Michelin RV Tire Guide: From page 6 of the GoodYear RV Tire and Care Guide:Inflation Pressure Safety Margin

But then they go ahead and publish a weight/pressure chart allowing lower pressure for RV's!!

From the August 2010 Motorhome Magazine "Tread Carefully" tire article:

Comment on the Toyo statements.
"Quote: Toyo Tire does not recommend an “inflate-to-the-load” policy for RV tires. Tires that are inflated to accommodate the vehicle’s actual loads do not have any inflation safety margin. "

I suggest a longer explanation.
Weigh the motorhome.
Learn the MINIMUM inflation needed to carry that load based on the heavier end of that axle
Set the TPM low pressure warning to that MINIMUM level
Your cold inflation pressure CSP should be the above minimum plus 10%

Hope this makes sense.
Old 07-04-2015, 09:08 AM   #53
Commercial Member

Just did a new blog post on Minimum or Maximum tire inflation yesterday (July 3)
Old 07-05-2015, 01:46 AM   #54

Send a message via AIM to Conchasjim Send a message via Yahoo to Conchasjim
Where's the blog, Tireman?
Old 07-05-2015, 07:06 AM   #55
Commercial Member

Cooper 22.5 RoadMaster Tires

We just put on 8 new Cooper 22.5 "RoadMasters" 5,000 miles ago and we love them. Smooth ride and they look good. $315 each mounted and SPIN balanced. Spin is better. RoadMasters are used on most school buses and fire equipment.
niceguy9605 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2015, 07:11 AM   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by niceguy9605 View Post
We just put on 8 new Cooper 22.5 "RoadMasters" 5,000 miles ago and we love them. Smooth ride and they look good. $315 each mounted and SPIN balanced. Spin is better. RoadMasters are used on most school buses and fire equipment.

What size & load range? From your coach info, I assume 295/80 or 315/80.

Steve Ownby
Full time since '07

Steve Ownby is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
tires