Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-18-2016, 03:48 PM   #113

Quote:
Originally Posted by LouieL View Post
Yes you get a high dollar tire with known sidewall cracking problems at a premium price. No thanks
Have you experienced this "cracking" of side walls on a Michelin product that led to an issue???
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-18-2016, 06:34 PM   #114

Last year, after much research I purchased a full set of Michelin XZE for my 40' DP. I first signed up for FMCA and bought the tires through their purchasing agreement with Michelin. So far, and 20k miles later, I'm not sorry.
flaresadog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2016, 07:18 PM   #115

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by LouieL View Post
Yes you get a high dollar tire with known sidewall cracking problems at a premium price. No thanks
X2 times 2 .... at least.

LSC9901 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2016, 07:24 PM   #116

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMTTRANSPORT View Post
Have you experienced this "cracking" of side walls on a Michelin product that led to an issue???
I have not but I will say that after research that applies to my type of use, my choice worked well for my application. After having read so much about the sidewall issues I didn't want to spend my money to prove what the other reviews have already stated .... time and time again. Now maybe for others needs that brand fits their needs. For me they are an over priced unreliable tire. I am happy with the choice I made. The ride is very good. I've had no problems with them (yet) and the price (the least of my concerns) was acceptable for me.

How can something that has worked well in all of my expectations be bad ? Just because one tire works for one user, it doesn't make it the best tire out there. we probably don't use the same toilet paper either but I'll bet you are happy with yours.

Old 01-18-2016, 07:55 PM   #117

I try my best not to support foreign company's. Keep in mind, China doesn't have to pay workers comp, general liability, unions, fair wage, employee benefits, sick days, holidays, personal days, and most importantly they don't have to fear law suits like we do.

Look back to the Chinese Drywall problem that's still plaguing this country a decade later.

There simply isn't much accountability over there.

As for me, I feel Michelin Tires have out performed other tire brands I have had and when my Michelin's need replacement on my rig, I'll surly put 8 more tires on her.

Good luck on your decision.
Old 01-18-2016, 08:13 PM   #118

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by 427ford View Post
With 6-8 tires on a MH, I'm assuming many owners rebalance occasionally. How about rotating?
Never to both! In fact I've never balanced anything but the front tires on a MH. Never even notice it till 90 mph or faster.
And have never rotated a MH tire since we got our first MH in 1988.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2016, 08:19 PM   #119

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by arktvlr View Post
Alpha99, I can go a little better than that. Started using Michelins in the early '60s when they first brought them to the USA for American car suspensions. That's just over 50 years, using them on everything from pass car to RVs to class 8 trucks. NEVER had one failure.
Also, I seriously question all these "surface cracking" stories I hear. NEVER had that problem either.
But, I always took care of my tires; checked air pressure on a regular basis.
I realize a lot of people can't afford the price of the Michelins, but the best is never cheap, and the cheap is hardly ever the best.
Yep, got my first Michelins on a 1968 Buick GS 400 and have had Michelins on almost everything since. Did have one occasion (actually two tires) of flats from picking up screws at a show venue a few years ago during setup.
The MH is going to need new tires soon, but four 365/70 and four 315/80's are going to be expensive even with the Michelin program plus I need 8 new SmarTire internal sensors at $80 each.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2016, 06:33 AM   #120

Quote:
Originally Posted by LSC9901 View Post
I have not but I will say that after research that applies to my type of use, my choice worked well for my application. After having read so much about the sidewall issues I didn't want to spend my money to prove what the other reviews have already stated .... time and time again. Now maybe for others needs that brand fits their needs. For me they are an over priced unreliable tire. I am happy with the choice I made. The ride is very good. I've had no problems with them (yet) and the price (the least of my concerns) was acceptable for me.

How can something that has worked well in all of my expectations be bad ? Just because one tire works for one user, it doesn't make it the best tire out there. we probably don't use the same toilet paper either but I'll bet you are happy with yours.
If you read it on the internet...it must be true, We use Michelin exclusively on our Heavy Haul Trucks here in S Nevada, probably the best proving ground there is, without an issue, ALL the other BRANDS did not hold up.
We run MAX weight 90% of the time.
Old 01-19-2016, 06:51 AM   #121

Quote:
Originally Posted by lenny-shawna View Post
I try my best not to support foreign company's. Keep in mind, China doesn't have to pay workers comp, general liability, unions, fair wage, employee benefits, sick days, holidays, personal days, and most importantly they don't have to fear law suits like we do.
Pretty sure Michelin is not made in US. Just sayin'. I agree with your reasoning, but it's pretty difficult to find a US made tire. I'm a big fan of Michelin tires. The load range E tires on my F250 have 75k on them, and still are in pretty decent shape. I do rotate, balance, check pressure and alignment periodically. I have Yokohama's on my Miata. Plenty of good brands out there.
427ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2016, 07:09 AM   #122

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMTTRANSPORT View Post
If you read it on the internet...it must be true, We use Michelin exclusively on our Heavy Haul Trucks here in S Nevada, probably the best proving ground there is, without an issue, ALL the other BRANDS did not hold up.
We run MAX weight 90% of the time.
I'm sorry ... I must have missed the part where I said I used the internet exclusively. Let me re-read what I wrote. Huh .... I didn't say anything about the internet. Please do not put words in my mouth. I can say most everything that I think and believe.

I'm very happy the tires YOU CHOOSE, probably based on your needs work for you. Your choice is not my choice. I rely on my research, from several sources that I find useful and honest, to make my decisions. We seldom, if ever run at 90% capacity. Once again I would state that my personal research, from several trusted sources, allows me to choose a brand other than the one some swear by. My choice has and continues to serve me very well.

Please tell me where I'm going so wrong by not using your brand when my needs are met by a brand that I find superior to, or at least equal to, your choice? A choice which I do not condemn you for. I'm assuming that you did some homework concerning your choice and hopefully your choice, not mine, serves you well.

When will the Michelin owners stop denigrating users of other brands ? Pretty sure I didn't make false accusations concerning your choices.

Old 01-19-2016, 07:51 AM   #123

When did Michelin become an American company? Why doesn't a mod just close this foolish thread?
Michelin makes good tires as do a lot of other companies. They have had issues with a number of their tires, but in many cases have stood behind their product and replaced those tires.
They also are manufactured in many countries, one of which is (or at least was) China.
Old 01-19-2016, 07:55 AM   #124

Ford Super Duty Owner
Tire threads often turn into this. It is great that people swear by what they feel is great but condemning everyone else's choice gets old very fast.

Old 01-19-2016, 08:00 AM   #125

Quote:
Originally Posted by LSC9901 View Post
Tire threads often turn into this. It is great that people swear by what they feel is great but condemning everyone else's choice gets old very fast.
You're Right.....
Old 01-19-2016, 08:12 AM   #126
Senior Dude

Triple E Owners Club
I have dabbled in coaches and I have bought new tires for the 5 coaches I've owned in the last 5 years.

I'm a big advocate of buying a proven tire without paying through the nose for name. I don't believe in buying a Ferrari when a Cadillac will do.

I stayed away from the high-priced, well advertised name brands that had plenty of issues. I have no doubt that the volume of poor reviews relates to the volume of tires sold, however, I had no desire to become part of the statistics.

I have put Toyo M154 -16 ply - All Position tires on several coaches with great success in steering, handling and ride. In my research on tire issues, I couldn't find any that had as few negatives as the Toyo's. Price averaged around $3200 installed out the door.

On my most recent coach, I couldn't get Toyos anywhere close enough to where I bought the coach and opted for the Hancook AH12's. These were also a 16 ply All Position tire. They performed well with no issues in the several 1000 miles I had put on them. They handled and rode well. Cost for these installed out the door was $2600.

Personally, I stay away from the cheaper mainstream trucking tires such as Sailun, Double Coin, Samson and the like. Not that I have any experience to say anything derogatory, just a preference to stay with certain brands known for their quality and performance. I believe there is a point though that you sacrifice a lot of comfort, ride and longevity for price.

Having changed over to truck and fifth wheel, I'm glad I don't have to put out the same costs for tires anymore LOL.
Dogpatch is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tires