Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-20-2016, 08:12 PM   #1

Researching shoulder belt

Hi we have decided to upgrade to a class A. I test drove one that had the shoulder belt connected to wall. Then looking at videos notice some come from the back of the seat. Which is better, more comfortable and safer.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-20-2016, 09:11 PM   #2

I cannot answer the safety question. I can say that all the diesel pushers I've been inside have seat belts in the captain chairs, and seat belts at the dinette and sofas anchored to the floor.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2016, 01:12 AM   #3

A shoulder belt , with a retractor in the seat back, requires the seat back be stronger and the hinges have better locks to retain their adjustment in the event of a crash.
I've had P/Us with both types and found the belts mounted to the truck body more comfortable ; maybe because of my height; the seat back type was always tight over my shoulder.
Safety wise , because of the M/H's swivel seat, I'd trust the wall mount to keep me and the seat, restrained in the event of accident.
Old 03-21-2016, 07:13 AM   #4

Freightliner Owners Club
My gut reaction is that the seatbelt secured to the side wall frame would be better but they both have to meet the same safety standards. However, the integral belts are much easier to deal with when turning and moving the captains chairs once parked.
mvpmich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2016, 07:59 AM   #5
Community Moderator

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
The one's connected to the seat back are definitely more convenient and comfortable than those attached to the wall. They have to meet the same minimum requirement to pass safety standards, but having seen what happens to the wall in an accident, I'd think the integral seat belt would be better than one attached to the wall that may not be there after the crash.
Old 03-21-2016, 08:25 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by barmcd View Post
The one's connected to the seat back are definitely more convenient and comfortable than those attached to the wall. They have to meet the same minimum requirement to pass safety standards, but having seen what happens to the wall in an accident, I'd think the integral seat belt would be better than one attached to the wall that may not be there after the crash.

Well if the wall isn't there after the crash it probably doesn't really matter which one you have.

2009 Safari Cheetah 40'
350 HP Cat
2014 Ford Focus
Air Force One
Old 03-21-2016, 09:22 AM   #7

Thank you all for the answeres. I guess I will test drive both types and see which one works for up. I'm 5 ft 5 inches dh 6 ft.