Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-22-2019, 03:00 PM   #1

Residental refrigerator

If you can keep the coach plugged in on the 50amp while at the house, and not using it but maybe twice per month do you suggest to leave the refrig on or turn it off till ready to go again
macbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-22-2019, 03:32 PM   #2

My Samsung has been on close to 6 years 100% of the time. Going down the road it runs on the inverter, boon docking and in my driveway.
2 stroker
2 Stroker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2019, 03:42 PM   #3

Not sure if I'm doing it right but I always turn mine off until time to go again, I do not want to pay the power bill, my friend never turns his off.
Outbound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2019, 03:57 PM   #4
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
I installed a residential refer in my Diplomat around 2011 and never turned it off or the two I've had since then. My coaches are kept in my side yard and are always hooked to 20 amp power. They don't draw enough power to make a noticeable increase in an electric bill. If you use the coach a lot, why would you want to load and unload the basic stuff every trip.

Since ours is parked at home, it's often good for extra storage, like when you have a party.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2019, 06:50 PM   #5

I seldom ever turn mine off.
Old 03-22-2019, 06:57 PM   #6

American Coach Owners Club
Mine has never been off since i bought it new.
Really handy when they have ice cream on sale. Plus my grown kids don't know I have it out there. My supply last a lot longer that way
Green D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2019, 10:42 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Whatever is convenient. We turned ours off if we were going to empty the fridge anyway, i.e. did not plan to go out again for some time. But we didn't hesitate to leave it on if there was any reason, including being just too lazy to clean it out and prop the door open.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2019, 06:44 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
We turn ours off.
Old 03-23-2019, 07:17 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Send a message via ICQ to Ivylog
My 21 cuft costs $0.15/day to run, yes 15 cents. 13 days between trips will cost $2...does that make for an easier decision?
Ivylog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2019, 08:32 AM   #10

What type of refrigerator do you have? A residential refrigerator uses about 1 amp unless defrosting. An absorption refrigerator uses 2 or more amps while running on electricity.

My old Dometic used 3.5 amps and had a duty cycle of almost 50%. We found that the the absorption refrigerator was expensive to leave running. It also took a day or more to "cool down."

Our replacement residential refrigerator only uses .8 amps and has a bout a 25% duty cycle. It only takes a few hours to cool down. Once the season starts we level the residential refrigerator running. We also leave the condiments and such in the refrigerator once it it running for the season.

If you want to know the costs get a Kill-A-Watt meter and it will tell you exactly how much it cost to run.
Old 03-24-2019, 12:54 PM   #11

The only way to get ALL the ice/frost out from the evaporator area is to turn the unit off. We're gone seven months of the year but in two month intervals. We leave the house with that fridge empty and open, and when we're home the RV fridge is empty and open. Now the new RV has a residential fridge that has a horrible reputation for unreliability due to design flaws involving compressor/evap and condenser. I'm so scared of failure we don't run the unit while traveling worried the ride would destroy the compressor. Unit stays acceptably cold (monitored) while we're on the road.

So that's the advantage to turning the unit off. Ice that may have been accumulating for years is finally gone. The house GE unit annoyingly "howls" after years of it running was finally cured by the total defrost performed when we got our first RV. A cavity forms where the fan is so when ice begins to close-up the "tunnel" it howls. You can hear the howling throughout the house. Repeated defrosting using technician codes gleaned from the internet helped some but techs said the best way is take it apart and use a hair dryer OR unplug the thing and walk away for a few days. Howling gone now as the unit is powered down a couple times yearly. The howling began at the five year anniversary..

So...I turn them off and vacuum the condenser every other year. Now you know why.
Old 03-24-2019, 06:55 PM   #12

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I turn mine off for the winter (after Thanksgiving) and turn it back on in the Spring (after Easter). Residental's are made to run constantly and last for years so other than a power cost savings or long periods of inactivity not much reason might as well keep it powered up.
Old 03-24-2019, 07:08 PM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via AIM to tmw188
If you have a power source
Old 03-25-2019, 12:18 PM   #14

IMO your RR has an icemaker it makes sense to turn it off/unplug it. Otherwise, the icemaker valve, motor and heater will continue to cycle.

Me, I always turn off any fridge, wipe it down and prop the door open if it will not be used for a month or so.

I'd hate to leave the fridge closed up and plugged in and then have the power go out due to the stink that can arise pretty quickly if there is any residual moisture in the unit (I used to do handyman work - would go into apartments that had been vacated to find the fridge empty - but closed and the power would be out because the tenant left).
Domo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
refrigerator