Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-25-2016, 04:28 PM   #1

Residential fridge door issue

We have a Whirlpool fridge with a single upper door and and lower freezer pull out. Here's my question how do you stop the upper door from opening during travel? I have to remove all heavy stuff from the door shelves. Also how do you stop the crisper drawers from sliding out to hit the door?
Thank you!
chill243 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-25-2016, 05:38 PM   #2

Gulf Streamers Club
There are many solutions, easier if the whole unit isn't recessed. Amazon has many solutions in the form of a door latch.

For the drawers, examine the slides the drawer extends on. Is it possible to file a notch or a step that would require the drawer to have to be lifted over to slide out? Another solution might be a Velcro strap to restrain the drawer when traveling.

Last suggestion: Slow down!

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2016, 05:49 PM   #3

Thor Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by chill243 View Post
We have a Whirlpool fridge with a single upper door and and lower freezer pull out. Here's my question how do you stop the upper door from opening during travel? I have to remove all heavy stuff from the door shelves. Also how do you stop the crisper drawers from sliding out to hit the door?
Thank you!
Thor is now putting a latch that keeps the two upper doors from opening. They started doing this about two or three years ago.
gmadams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2016, 05:52 PM   #4

Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmadams View Post
Thor is now putting a latch that keeps the two upper doors from opening. They started doing this about two or three years ago.
So.....How does that help with the OP's SINGLE door refrigerator or the interior drawers?

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2016, 06:00 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
The simple solution is to use Velcro straps gued to the door and the side of the fridge with double sided sticky back tape. If you look through the velcro straps available on Amazon you will see some black heavy duty ones with a loop on one end. The velcor strap threads through the loop and then fastens back onto the velcro.
With this system you only have to fasten it when driving.
vito.a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2016, 06:09 PM   #6

Thor Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by BFlinn181 View Post
So.....How does that help with the OP's SINGLE door refrigerator or the interior drawers?
Sorry for the post. I misread the OP's question.
gmadams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2016, 06:23 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

When I installed a standard top-freezer Ge fridge last winter, I took the simple way out: I just put screw eyes on either side of the upper and lower doors and stretch a flat bungy cord across when we travel. The eyes are painted to be unobtrusive, so hardly noticeable, yet easy to hook & unhook if we need to get in the fridge while traveling.

I also looked at a variety of latches (childproofing latches offer several possibilities), but the old bungy cord won out after wife & I considered them all.

Our crisper drawers sometimes open a little, but it's not a problem if they poke out an inch or so to hit the door shelves. At least nothing we worry about... You could use spring-loaded bars if you like, though. We use them on two upper shelves that have bottles and such that might shuffle around.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2016, 09:19 PM   #8

Thanks for the info. The fridge is built in so can't do Velcro anything
Old 10-25-2016, 09:23 PM   #9

Also it's a 2011 Tiffin Allegro
Old 10-26-2016, 10:45 AM   #10

We replaced our old dometic with a two door, top and bottom household unit. There are plastic inserts between the doors to move the hinges from one side to another. We removed one of the plastic inserts and made a locking device that would screw into one of the holes. We made it like this and it works like a charm. Simple and easy. Chuck

Click image for larger version

Name:	debbzd.jpg
Views:	133
Size:	330.7 KB
ID:	142719
chuckbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2016, 11:56 AM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
from the factory our Thor Redwood 5'er (and many others like it) had the three door with freezer on bottom...
Many trips we found refrigerated items IN the bottom freezer when we got there...

Our guess is the freezer slid open and the doors opened to allow stuff to fall into the freezer !!!! very poor design !

We got these to fix it: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...=ATVPDKIKX0DER

Some with the 3 doors actually cut a LARGE T out of wood and foam backed it to slide behind handles and down behind freezer handle...
Old 10-26-2016, 05:10 PM   #12

Outdoors RV Owners Club
If this helps?
We used these stick on child door locks available at WalMart.
Really works slick.

Jim
Attached Images

Papa_Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2016, 06:48 PM   #13

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Researching same issue. Using cross fridge bungee going to hooks on sides but found child proof latches at hardware store that I think will work
Old 10-26-2016, 07:18 PM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Makes me glad I went with the side by side. Added anti skid mats inside and a bungy cord rap with ball on door handles. Been across the country twice with no issues
kwittintime is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
door, fridge