Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-24-2016, 06:16 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post
Are you charging your batteries up to 14.5 volts before tapering down to 13.5.

If your drawing 15 amps for an hour, that's 15 AH. That's with the fridge running steady. They usually run 1/3 the time.

Your batteries should deliver over 400 AH before dead.
I am not sure what 6 volt batteries you have, but Trojan T-105s need to see 14.8 volts for a period of time before they will be fully charged.

PJStough is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-24-2016, 07:21 PM   #30

Newmar Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
The batteries were fully charged when I tested them. Right now with the coach still plugged into shore power, the batteries are reading 13.5 volts.

I was thinking my batteries were less than 3 years old, but in looking at the previous owner's very sparse records, I did find a slip saying batteries were installed in Aug of 2009. The batteries are Interstate. Is there a way to look at the battery and determine a date? I can't find anything. But, ya, if the 6 volts batteries are really from 2009 (records could be missing), they are due for replacement. Since I've owned the coach from last year, the batteries have been impeccably maintained by me.

Old 08-24-2016, 07:44 PM   #31

Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pexring View Post
The batteries were fully charged when I tested them. Right now with the coach still plugged into shore power, the batteries are reading 13.5 volts...
13.5 is a float charge from the charger if you are plugged in to shore power. The best way to check the voltage of the batteries is to remove all the loads and the charge source. Let them sit for a few hours like that then look at the voltage. Fully charged would be 12.8 or 12.9 There is a chart floating around that you can review that will give you an idea of the status based on resting voltage. But it's not the best way as discussed earlier.
Each battery model will have a specific charging profile. Most users do not even look at this. That is the best way to get the most life and use out of flooded lead acid batteries - charge based on the manufacturer's charging profile. Trojan T105 with be different than Interstate GC2 and so on.
Old 08-24-2016, 09:47 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr4Film View Post
totally with your post.

My Inverter/Charger/Converter are all in one unit and it has been running my Samsung fridge fine for well over 4 years now.

Please explain in more detail what you are stating and why it is important?

Dr4Film ----- Richard
He means make sure if you have a seperate converter that it is NOT being powered by the inverter. That is bad news and will drain the batteries very quickly. If you have a combo inverter\charger as you apparently do and no external converter it is not a concern.
PbdBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2016, 07:30 AM   #33

Couple of points:

"Each battery is 232AH and I have 4 batteries. " - using 6 V batteries you have two strings of 232 AH in parallel or 464 AH, 232 of which is usable assuming you are trying to stay above 50% discharge. You do the math, I'm too lazy. ;-)

The idea of shutting off at night is to let the system coast, start the generator, then let the generator take the hit of the startup cooling run. It is part of why morning generator run time should be generous. Cool the refrigerator, heat HW, coffee and microwave and hair dryer and whatever else one wants for a heavy load as well as bulk charging the batteries.
Old 08-25-2016, 08:56 AM   #34

The readings of a battery by themselves mean little.

If new in 2009 they are well past their expected service life if not we'll maintained but before replacing them consider them sacrificial learners.

Best to abuse them before the new ones.

First use the search function and review some battery charging threads as there is much to learn.

Next is battery testing.

In short for your unit you need to confirm your charging system is working correctly.

Then confirm batteries are responding as they should then determine how long things should work.

The specific gravity test shows state of "chemical charge" and at any point when performed all cells should read very close to each other.

Doing this test one should focus on looking for the one that is DIFFERENT.

A bad cell will be different than rest.

A aged out battery may all be low or none match.

They need to be fully charged meaning floating for a week or so to verify by SG measurements if acid shot.

And a load test is always a good certainty, if you have say 200 amp hours of battery and your load is 40 amps continuous it should be good for 4 hours (search battery rating) but if it drops dead in 1 hour then battery is bad.
Old 08-25-2016, 09:37 AM   #35

Quote:
The batteries were fully charged when I tested them. Right now with the coach still plugged into shore power, the batteries are reading 13.5 volts.

I was thinking my batteries were less than 3 years old, but in looking at the previous owner's very sparse records, I did find a slip saying batteries were installed in Aug of 2009. The batteries are Interstate. Is there a way to look at the battery and determine a date? I can't find anything. But, ya, if the 6 volts batteries are really from 2009 (records could be missing), they are due for replacement. Since I've owned the coach from last year, the batteries have been impeccably maintained by me.
Here is a chart that shows how to properly charge Interstate GC-2 golf cart batteries.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 201535.pdf (147.1 KB, 40 views)
PJStough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2016, 11:10 PM   #36

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by PJStough View Post
Here is a chart that shows how to properly charge Interstate GC-2 golf cart batteries.
Good chart. The chart says to test, to put the batteries under a load of 430 amps for 15 seconds. How the heck do you get 430 amps?
Old 08-25-2016, 11:17 PM   #37

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Good chart. The chart says to test, to put the batteries under a load of 430 amps for 15 seconds. How the heck do you get 430 amps?
Breakdown test box. I bought one from AutoZone several years ago. About $60 iirc.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2016, 11:33 PM   #38

Newmar Owners Club
The auto parts stores which advertise free battery testing -- do their machines test for all those things? Of course the effort to remove the batteries to take to them is another story . . . .
Old 08-26-2016, 01:32 AM   #39

Quote:
The auto parts stores which advertise free battery testing -- do their machines test for all those things? Of course the effort to remove the batteries to take to them is another story . . . .

Most of them will load test them for you. Word of caution, before you remove your batteries, take a couple of good photos. Just in case you need a reference reconnecting them.
Old 08-26-2016, 08:16 AM   #40

If the plates in the batteries have been exposed even once the batteries are shot we see it all the time in houseboats I know they cost more but AGMs are by far the better option no fluid maintenance and if the charger in the inverter is set correctly I have some in service that are 7 years old also cable and terminal maintenance will produce better performance
Old 08-26-2016, 11:03 AM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boat wrench View Post
If the plates in the batteries have been exposed even once the batteries are shot we see it all the time in houseboats I know they cost more but AGMs are by far the better option no fluid maintenance and if the charger in the inverter is set correctly I have some in service that are 7 years old also cable and terminal maintenance will produce better performance
Not disagreeing with you about harming the batteries when the water level goes below the plates but I have 6 Trojans in my golf cart and this has happened several times. The batteries are 5 plus years old and still running strong. I use the cart daily. One of the low water level events was a few years ago. Maybe I'm lucky.
noserider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2016, 02:15 PM   #42

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by noserider View Post

Not disagreeing with you about harming the batteries when the water level goes below the plates but I have 6 Trojans in my golf cart and this has happened several times. The batteries are 5 plus years old and still running strong. I use the cart daily. One of the low water level events was a few years ago. Maybe I'm lucky.
Yes....you are VERY lucky in that you own Trojan Golf Cart batteries which are some of the best built batteries in the market. Trojan's are built so well that YES they can take that type of abuse whereas other battery manufactures cannot.

However, not everyone can afford the Trojan Golf Cart batteries.

I have Sam's Club GC-2 Golf Cart batteries which are doing well and they are now 4 years old.

Dr4Film ----- Richard

2002 Monaco Windsor PBT 40Ft. (R HOME) - 30Ft. 2006 Pace Trailer (R JUNK). Trailer Has 06 VUE (R TOWD) 04 Victory Alen Ness Edition (R RYDE). Full-Timer for 14 Yr's BUT now a Part-Timer. Cummins ISC-350 With Banks Power Pack and Upgraded PRXB PacBrake.
We are at our Winter Home in Flagler Beach FL
Dr4Film is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
batteries, fridge, motorhome