Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-23-2016, 06:47 PM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Residential fridge in motorhome is draining my batteries

When my Dometic fridge died, I replaced it with a Frigidaire FFTR1022QB. I've successfully used residential fridges in other campers but this one is kicking my butt.

I have four 6-volt batteries and a 2000 watt pure sine wave inverter. When I run the fridge off of my inverter, it drains the batteries down in about a half a day.

I bought an amp meter with a clamp that reads both AC and DC amps.

When the fridge is running off of shore power, it reads 1.25 AC amps. Perfect. See picture.

The inverter is connected directly to my batteries. With the fridge running off of the inverter, I put my clamp around the wire coming from the battery and it pulls 8.2 DC amps with flickers (sometimes) up to 15 DC amps. When I shut the fridge off, the inverter pulls just 0.8 DC amps from the batteries. When the inverter is shut off my batteries last forever.

What am I missing?

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2649.jpg
Views:	294
Size:	207.6 KB
ID:	136919

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-23-2016, 07:02 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Difference in the amp reading is voltage difference.

1 amp @120 volt would be 10 amp on 12 volt

So your readings sound about right.

How old are your batteries, have you tested them?

jacwjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2016, 07:08 PM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
A refrigerator is not a steady current draw. Suggest to get a Kill-a-Watt meter, about $20. It plugs in-line and will tell you actual device power usage over time.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2016, 07:11 PM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Got ice maker? It pulls more power. I turn off the ice maker of trying to minimize power usage. Is the unit already at temperature? Will of course run more to get up to temp than once there.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2016, 07:15 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacwjames View Post
Difference in the amp reading is voltage difference.

1 amp @120 volt would be 10 amp on 12 volt

So your readings sound about right.

How old are your batteries, have you tested them?
I agree with Jim, how old and what are they rated at in terms of AH?
Old 08-23-2016, 07:16 PM   #6

Gulf Streamers Club
It's called Ohm's Law. Looks like everything is normal from a power draw standpoint.

Ohm's Law Calculations With Power

Your battery capacity is another matter. Appears your batteries are not very good.
KPFulltimers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2016, 07:16 PM   #7

I would check your batteries for sure... do you have an autostart for your generator? that can give you peace of mind that your batteries wont leave you stranded.
Redridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2016, 07:18 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by vsheetz View Post
Got ice maker? It pulls more power. I turn off the ice maker of trying to minimize power usage. Is the unit already at temperature? Will of course run more to get up to temp than once there.
Ice maker makes freezer to go -4 and draws tons of power TURN ICE off when on inverter and life should be good. Do not open doors unless your really need a cold beer loose cold with doors open.

I can go over 16 hrs with sat tvs on and gen will not auto start until I get ready to make coffee in morning when I dry park overnite.

My coach batteries are fully charged when I park and are 2 years old and the auto start is happy.
Dupdyke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2016, 07:18 PM   #9

Are you charging your batteries up to 14.5 volts before tapering down to 13.5.

If your drawing 15 amps for an hour, that's 15 AH. That's with the fridge running steady. They usually run 1/3 the time.

Your batteries should deliver over 400 AH before dead.
Old 08-23-2016, 07:18 PM   #10

You could also check what the defrost timer is doing. Assuming the unit is frost free it has a cycle that uses an electric strip heater to pump warm air through periodically to melt off the frost that has developed. When that kicks on it significantly increases power draw. I'd put a switch and pilot light on it to control when it happens. YMMV.
Old 08-23-2016, 07:22 PM   #11

Same set up as you. Take mine 24 hrs before batteries get to 11v. Found out accidentally.
Old 08-23-2016, 07:44 PM   #12

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Automatic ice makers and a defrost cycle will eat power for heating purposes. Need to shut both features off when on battery power.
Old 08-23-2016, 07:47 PM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
If you want to find out EXACTLY how much power your fridge is using purchase a Kill-O-Watt as suggested by a previous poster.

Run it for a month or more on shore power then look at the consumption figures.

Do the math as suggested by other posters and you will have your answer.

I have a Samsung RF-197 and have done two different analysis coming up with a figure of 1.82 Kwh per day that the fridge uses on average. So that is about 1800 watts per day.

Volts X Amp's = Watts

120 X 15 = 1800

Therefore my fridge uses about 15 amps per day OR about 150 AH's per day from my House battery bank through my Inverter.

My House battery bank is 4 - 6VDC GC-2 Sam's Club batteries with a total AH capacity of 450 AH's.

However, I can only use half of that safely without ruining my batteries. So with 225 AH's available that can easily last me over 8 hours is nothing else is drawing from the same battery bank.

I can usually get through the night without my generator starting up if the battery bank is completely full at Float SOC before turning in for the night.

I hope this helps you in understanding how it all works.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
2002 Monaco Windsor PBT 40Ft. (R HOME) - 30Ft. 2006 Pace Trailer (R JUNK). Trailer Has 06 VUE (R TOWD) 04 Victory Alen Ness Edition (R RYDE). Full-Timer for 14 Yr's BUT now a Part-Timer. Cummins ISC-350 With Banks Power Pack and Upgraded PRXB PacBrake.
We are at our Winter Home in Flagler Beach FL
Dr4Film is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2016, 09:14 PM   #14

Newmar Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Some interesting info being posted. No, I do not have a built-in ice maker. Never thought about the defrost cycle but it makes sense to figure out how to put a switch to shut it off. No autostart on my generator. My batteries are only a couple years old, but am definitely going to test them and double-check how many AH's I have and do some more math.

Tags
batteries, fridge, motorhome