Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
View Poll Results: so all elect... love it , or hate it
hate it 22 9.95%
love it 185 83.71%
don't understand it 12 5.43%
just use an ice chest to camp 3 1.36%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 221. You may not vote on this poll

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-17-2015, 08:23 AM   #127

Residential fridge... love or hate it???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davdeb1 View Post
Why bicker about this? I don't think anyone removes a perfectly good RV fridge and installs a residential. Mine broke, I put in a 15.5 2 door energy efficient GE. Cost $581, installation $600.
This by gives me way more room for food. This being a worrywart about fires is ridiculous, not one person on here can say how many Norcolds caught on fire.
People are just using the fire thing to justify their purchase. All you need to do is look at the replacement costs.

You got it, Dave!
We have a 14CF Dometic that holds more than enough and works superbly. You did what made sense, and I will if mine ever fails.
I have trouble understanding the "hard icecream" notations. We let spur of the moment choices choose our flavors in a good icecream shop once in a while. Having it aboard means no flavor choice and it would be gone to my midriff in a hurry.
I love em both but like what I have. Not primed for any whimsical expenditure.

http://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-17-2015, 09:29 AM   #128

Vintage RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
I agree with i dont camp i rv but dont like electric stoves and my freezer will keep ice cream frozen. Since i like fresh veges i buy local and often. Boondock rarely so i dont need or want all electric. I would change if it goes out but no reason to as long as it works as good as it does.

Old 04-17-2015, 10:01 AM   #129

Richard I wish you would tell us how you really feel about the Norcold. Thanks again for the info on the brake controller 😎
mccrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2015, 11:47 AM   #130
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
"Waiter21".....Please show us where you can CURRENTLY buy a new unit that works like the one your posting and is sized for an average RV, not a tent trailer or boat. To keep posting about a long gone technology doesn't make sense.

"nothermark".....None of the overwhelming residential owners who responded missed any point. The post asked...Residential Fridge, love it or hate it. If you DON'T have one in an RV, how can you tell us if you love it or hate it. If the post asked Absorption refrigerator....Love it or Hate it, you would have something to talk about. Like it or not, propane is slowly disappearing, especially when it comes to RV refers. It's just like white gas that used to be used for cooking and lighting. It's gone, primarily because it was a safety issue.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2015, 11:55 AM   #131
Senior Member - DIYer

Ford Super Duty Owner
Don;

I see several model; Here are a couple from Dometic: They must not be totally "long gone" as Dometic still makes and sells them.

Dometic RM 2510.2 2-way Compact Refrigerator - $701.00

Dometic RM2410 Compact Fridge Refrigerator Refer Small Single Door 2-Way Trailer RV Camper

Great little frig, and they don't need anything but LP.

It won't do MACH 2, but I can get a sandwich and take a pee.
Waiter21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2015, 12:02 PM   #132

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waiter21 View Post

Don;

I see several model; Here are a couple from Dometic: They must not be totally "long gone" as Dometic still makes and sells them.

Dometic RM 2510.2 2-way Compact Refrigerator - $701.00

Dometic RM2410 Compact Fridge Refrigerator Refer Small Single Door 2-Way Trailer RV Camper

Great little frig, and they don't need anything but LP.
And again those are not what Don asked about. I had that type and size fridge in my RECO Pop-Up Tent Trailer back in the early 70's.

That size fridge worked great back then HOWEVER it would NOT work for the large percentage of RV's being used today.

If someone wanted to mount maybe 6 of them someplace and then try an remember what you had in each one.

Another Apples and Oranges comparison which gets people off topic.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Old 04-17-2015, 12:25 PM   #133
Senior Member - DIYer

Ford Super Duty Owner
Richard,

I thought the topic was refrigerators?

I'm not sure why anyone would go to the time or expense of installing 6 of these in their MH, that would be silly. (I'm not even sure if mine failed, I would spend the money to replace it)

You asked about absorption refrigerators, I provided you with my experience and knowledge regarding absorption refrigerators.

I never suggested that you or anyone else should discard a system that your happy with and adopt a system that I'm happy with.

Old 04-17-2015, 12:34 PM   #134

Quote:
Originally Posted by nothermark View Post
To me it is sharing knowledge instead of sales pitches.I will admit to finding it interesting why some folks are so adamant about bad choices being "best". ;-)

I hard the educate people that refuse to learn.

How many people in this very thread, have stated they boondock all the time with a res. frig.? And yet, others still come in and claim that you can't do what people are doing.

Other claim that it's stupid to have to start the genny twice a day to charge batteries. Then when they describe how they use their coach when boondocking, they get up and start the genny to make breakfast/coffee. Then at night they start their genny to make supper. Yet their perception is it's totally different, can anybody explain the difference between running your genny and running your genny? Please be detailed in the explanation.

Dutch star Don is correct on the question, how many that claim to hate it have even used one?

I don't start our genny anytime we are plugged in, even on 15 amp. Everything still works just fine, everything. I'm limited on the number of ACs I can run, just the same as a propane coach.

Still to many misconceptions on all electric coaches.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
PDR John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2015, 12:39 PM   #135

Monaco Owners Club
Read the topic of this thread..."Residential Fridge...Love it or Hate it?"

I am in the Love It camp.

If you want to start a new Poll & Thread labeled "Absorption Fridge...Love it or Hate it?" I would be happy to place my vote.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Old 04-17-2015, 12:56 PM   #136
Senior Member - DIYer

Ford Super Duty Owner
Richard.

Thank you for clarifying the intent of the OP. After reading it, I interpreted it as being a little more nebulous than a simple "I love it or I hate it".

If the moderator believes my comments were outside of the topic thread, perhaps they should remove them and/or send me a PM and let me know I'm straying from the rules and need to be more careful.

In the meantime. I love residential refrigerators. I just chose not to have one in my MH at this time.

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 04-17-2015, 12:58 PM   #137

I've had both and prefer the electric refrigerator - Love or hate, words I don't apply to refrigerators.
1ciderdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2015, 03:27 PM   #138

guess I should have put more choices
Old 04-17-2015, 03:31 PM   #139
Senior Member - DIYer

Ford Super Duty Owner
^^ ROFL

Old 04-17-2015, 08:47 PM   #140

I have had them both in my current coach and loved them both. I did put the Amish unit on my Norcold and it worked flawlessly.

Ther are two reasons why I put in the residential. 1. I wanted to use my solar power to the fullest, and 2, my wife saw a residetial unit in a coach boondocking next to us. It's their fault.

By they way, we boondock 90% of the time!

Tags
fridge