Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
View Poll Results: so all elect... love it , or hate it
hate it 22 9.95%
love it 185 83.71%
don't understand it 12 5.43%
just use an ice chest to camp 3 1.36%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 221. You may not vote on this poll

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-17-2015, 09:06 PM   #141

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I can say that when my current fridge goes out I will be putting an RR in and not another RV propane one. I boondock most of the time, but in AZ in the summer the absorption fridge just sucks and hardly works to my standard. Plus I replaced one in my last coach and for the price I could have had a RR and inverter installed for not much more and less grief. I am on the love it page.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-17-2015, 11:18 PM   #142

This is only our second RV. The first was a 5th wheel toy hauler we used for my sons racing. Never entered a RV park, and had the standard 2 door elect/propane fridge. A family of four away for even just a weekend, we had to pack 3 ice chests due to the lack of space. I never had any mechanical problems with the operation, just too small. My current RV came with the res. fridge, I still Boondock for usually a week at a time. My generator in my new RV runs maybe 10% of the time I ran the one on my first RV just for all the other entertainment/appliances. Yes I am happy with the larger fridge (could care less if it does not uses combo power/propane) I usually am called upon to store food for others in our group, no problem, we can fit all the beer in my rig

Old 04-18-2015, 08:04 PM   #143

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by HVAC Bill View Post
This is only our second RV. The first was a 5th wheel toy hauler we used for my sons racing. Never entered a RV park, and had the standard 2 door elect/propane fridge. A family of four away for even just a weekend, we had to pack 3 ice chests due to the lack of space. I never had any mechanical problems with the operation, just too small. My current RV came with the res. fridge, I still Boondock for usually a week at a time. My generator in my new RV runs maybe 10% of the time I ran the one on my first RV just for all the other entertainment/appliances. Yes I am happy with the larger fridge (could care less if it does not uses combo power/propane) I usually am called upon to store food for others in our group, no problem, we can fit all the beer in my rig
And that is why the residential fridge is critical for a well running campsite!
Old 04-18-2015, 10:43 PM   #144

What ever, I have had my gas refrigerator for 20 years. I dry camp 80% of the time and have never had problems. My new coach has plenty of room and everything is cold. When hooked up the ice maker works great and this is the two door unit, wife could not be happier. Big difference between camping and RVing.
Old 04-18-2015, 11:04 PM   #145

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by LVRVLUVR View Post
whats the deal.. is propane a gonner???

is the only reason so full timers don't have to buy propane..

spoiled food... dead batterys ...short life batterys..extra hrs on gen...
no boon docking... neightbors cry'n about gen starting at 2am...

whats the catch here that I missed??
Don't leave home without one!

We have 6 AGM's and a Magnum full sine wave inverter. Have not had one issue. If we don't need to run the microwave or other heavy draw appliances we can go for a long time boon docking before the generator kicks in. When the coach was new to us we were boon docking at the in-laws. Cooked in the convection oven for about 4 hrs. We didn't need to use any more than lights after that. The generator started to charge the batteries after another 4 hours.

DW loves the large freezer and frig. As I said. Don't leave home without one.

Rick Y
Rick & Melissa Young & Dawson, 2011 Itasca Meridian 40U, Freightliner XCL, Cummins ISL 380HP/DEF, Allison 3000 MH, 2014 Honda CR-V, SMI AF1, Blue Ox tow equip., TST 507 TPMS, TruCenter steering control, Hughes auto transformer.
Servants On Wheels Ever Ready. Best job we ever paid to do . (full time volunteers)
jerichorick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2015, 01:13 AM   #146

Quote:
Originally Posted by 530ktm View Post
What ever, I have had my gas refrigerator for 20 years. I dry camp 80% of the time and have never had problems. My new coach has plenty of room and everything is cold. When hooked up the ice maker works great and this is the two door unit, wife could not be happier. Big difference between camping and RVing.
If we wanted to "camp" none of us would have purchased an RV, no matter how large or small. It the comforts we enjoy in different locations and how desolate makes no difference. If you have an RV, no one out there thinks your camping. Just saying!
Old 04-19-2015, 05:25 PM   #147

Quote:
Originally Posted by 530ktm View Post
Hang on to that 20 year old fridg. Those were built well and made to last forever, and most of them did. The problem is the new ones. Norcold has proved that scaling up an old design definitely does not work and the new units are ample proof of this. When we first started RV'ing gas/electric units were the norm and you paid big bucks to get a household unit instead of the standard. Now it's just the opposite. Big bucks for the gas/electric and the household units are standard. Prices changed, but nowhere near that much. It's the problems, failures, fires, recall after recall and the ever present risk of legal action that turned this around.

If you have a good gas/electric absorption unit, stick with it, just don't think the new ones are going to give you the same service and durability.
Pigman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2015, 07:28 PM   #148

Hidden cost of residential fridge is the addition and replacement of the 4-6 extra batteries every 4-5 years. guessing at 120$ a piece
Mine only req's 2 with absorp fridge. I believe units with resid fridge need more?
Old 04-19-2015, 07:30 PM   #149

Official iRV2 Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by dezolen View Post
Hidden cost of residential fridge is the addition and replacement of the 4-6 extra batteries every 4-5 years. guessing at 120$ a piece
Don't know what you mean by "4-6 extra batteries." My MH already had 4 6-volt batteries. It still has 4 batteries. They would have had to have been replaced every 4-5 years anyway, so what's changed?
docj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2015, 08:44 PM   #150

You know this electric refrigerator thing isn't new.

Boat are not allowed, un-attended gas appliances, so 12 and 120 volt electric refrigerators have been in use for many years, running on batteries.

They aren't the power suckers, as some would have you believe .
Old 04-19-2015, 08:51 PM   #151

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post
You know this electric refrigerator thing isn't new.

Boat are not allowed, un-attended gas appliances, so 12 and 120 volt electric refrigerators have been in use for many years, running on batteries.

They aren't the power suckers, as some would have you believe .
Careful with that, we're here for hyperbole only.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
PDR John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2015, 10:31 PM   #152

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDR John View Post
Careful with that, we're here for hyperbole only.
Old 04-20-2015, 05:31 AM   #153

Quote:
Mine only req's 2 with absorp fridge. I believe units with resid fridge need more?
I have read many posts on different forums about needing 4 to 6 batteries for a residential fridge. Not true if you are only planning on being without power for a short time. I have the standard two 12 volt coach batteries in my coach with the residential and can run 6 to 8 hrs before running the batteries to half charge. (I don't let them get any lower than that)
As for a long drive the high output alternator keeps the batteries charged and the fridge runs off the inverter. As I stated in an earlier post, we don't dry camp much so the setup works great for us. If we were to want to run longer without power than yes, I would want to add extra batteries and solar panels
cjd10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2015, 08:22 AM   #154

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Not certain what you are referring to. My AGM's are original from 2010 and I am the second owner. Just tested them recently and they are still very strong. If treated correctly, AGM's can last many, many years. My Magnum inverter is designed to keep the batteries in tip top shape.

Have you replaced the coil on your absorption refrigerator yet? I think that can be considered a hidden cost? Or, what of all the recalls for the fire potential? Hummm. I wonder which system is more reliable and cost effective. Oh yea. Is your ice cream frozen? Mine is.

Happy trails.

Rick Y

Rick & Melissa Young & Dawson, 2011 Itasca Meridian 40U, Freightliner XCL, Cummins ISL 380HP/DEF, Allison 3000 MH, 2014 Honda CR-V, SMI AF1, Blue Ox tow equip., TST 507 TPMS, TruCenter steering control, Hughes auto transformer.
Servants On Wheels Ever Ready. Best job we ever paid to do . (full time volunteers)
jerichorick is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fridge