Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
View Poll Results: so all elect... love it , or hate it
hate it 22 9.95%
love it 185 83.71%
don't understand it 12 5.43%
just use an ice chest to camp 3 1.36%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 221. You may not vote on this poll

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-20-2015, 08:28 AM   #155

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDDonkey View Post
I can say that when my current fridge goes out I will be putting an RR in and not another RV propane one. I boondock most of the time, but in AZ in the summer the absorption fridge just sucks and hardly works to my standard. Plus I replaced one in my last coach and for the price I could have had a RR and inverter installed for not much more and less grief. I am on the love it page.
we have been in havasu every weekend, so far the propne frig works great,,,in fact had it turned up to 4 and it was tooo cold so turned it back to 3 witch is half way...we are going again next weekend and we desided if we are going there every weekend for the summer... we need a RR to keep up with the life style...

so I bought a resident fridge

it came with a 3br 2 bth vacation home
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	interceptor 003.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	241.3 KB
ID:	92036   Click image for larger version

Name:	interceptor 008.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	327.0 KB
ID:	92037  

Click image for larger version

Name:	interceptor 004.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	465.0 KB
ID:	92038  

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-20-2015, 09:02 AM   #156

Winnebago Owners Club
Congratulations on the fridge and attached house.

Did not notice a plug in or RV pad to plug in the fridge or the RV.

Old 04-20-2015, 10:13 AM   #157

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Dewald View Post
Congratulations on the fridge and attached house.

Did not notice a plug in or RV pad to plug in the fridge or the RV.
look where the black trailer is parked ... full hook ups...

also room for a 60' x60' rv garage
Old 04-20-2015, 10:40 AM   #158

Monaco Owners Club
I am in the process of changing out my nevercold to a res. refer. It works great on AC and DC, but the propane function is unreliable. We will be out for days and out of the blue it will say failed. some times it will reset, most it will not. Tired of having to wonder so out it will be going. The cost of a res fridge is about the same as replacing the "maybe" bad gas control board so why continue to throw parts at it.
Imurphy907 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2015, 03:00 PM   #159

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by docj View Post
To each his own, but we've stayed in both US and Canadian national parks and have had full-hookups. We're in a beautiful COE park at the moment with 50A and water.

As full-timers, we don't "camp" we "RV". We're not interested in roughing it, but that doesn't mean we don't like to explore the continent. Having a residential fridge completely changed our ability to stock up on local foods as we travel. Last fall we came back from the Canadian Maritimes with 15 pounds of frozen halibut steak. Try that in a Norcold!
Excellent answer. I like the part "we don't "camp" we "RV". I go Salmon fishing in Oregon while we summer there. Never enough room in the freezer of the 1210 Norcold. Next winters project is installing a Residential Fridge. Just installed the outside TV. I did enough camping (roughing it) in the Boy Scouts when I was a kid.

Craig & Carolyn Roberts Apple Valley, CA
2006 Newmar 3910 KSDP 400 ISL Cummins Spartan Mountian Master Chassis
Toad: 2017 GMC Canyon 4X4 Crewcab
DD788Snipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2015, 12:15 AM   #160

Quote:
Originally Posted by dezolen View Post
Hidden cost of residential fridge is the addition and replacement of the 4-6 extra batteries every 4-5 years. guessing at 120$ a piece Mine only req's 2 with absorp fridge. I believe units with resid fridge need more?
I have had both types of refrigerators, I can tell by the propane crowds answer to the operating cost being high due to battery replacement cost, forget the price of propane is quite high. As stated in other posts, if you and your inverter are maintaining your batteries properly, i don't think you should expect a shorter life due to an electric refer. While you are burning propane, my alternator is providing power for mine.
Old 04-21-2015, 01:05 AM   #161

love my propane... two little house batteries can go a week running TV/DVD/Stereo/LED lights.... Propane fridge and stove top use about few dollars propane (been 2 years since I filled the tank)... oh ya my alternator can power it too or plug into 120... living in a perfect climate on the west coast means no air con or heat so life is good... Propane generator never run it... But my idea of RV'ing is different...
Old 04-21-2015, 07:11 AM   #162

Monaco Owners Club
Love our Res Fridge

I get that the different types of RV life/rig have a lot to do with one's preference of refrigerators. For us, hands down, would not have another Norcold/Dometic. Went that route with our 5er and well, not enough room, not cold enough, etc. I hate propane, too. So when we sold it and bought this Monaco, on the checklist of "must have's" (my list ) was a residential refrigerator. We don't boondock often but did spend 4 days parked in my sons front yard a few weeks ago without any issue. We ran the generator for a while every day but would have with/without that fridge. AND, I like to buy meat on sale, berries in season, etc, place in a food saver bag and freeze. I like the ice maker, too. If we were retired and could choose where we lived, I might think differently but for now, our lifestyle dictates we more mimic life in a S & B. I know when we camp with Dad in Yellowstone in his little 28' TT, it's not an issue. We're grilling some and eatin a lot of PBJ b/c we're too busy with our camera's to worry about food!! Now that's how I want to full time SOMEDAY!
Old 04-27-2015, 09:36 AM   #163

Quote:
Originally Posted by docj View Post
Don't know what you mean by "4-6 extra batteries." My MH already had 4 6-volt batteries. It still has 4 batteries. They would have had to have been replaced every 4-5 years anyway, so what's changed?

Mine average about 9 years. So, I don't understand the 4-5 years at all. Dometic is 14cf. Tis nuff.

http://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2015, 11:33 AM   #164

A full time, boondocker is not going to get the same life out of batteries as a weekend camper, plugging in when they get there.

Batteries last cycles, not years.

As a fulltimer, never plugged in, I wouldn't expect 9 years, out of my batteries. I was happy with 5.

What is your usage, during the 9 years.
Old 04-27-2015, 02:16 PM   #165

Residential fridge... love or hate it???

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post
A full time, boondocker is not going to get the same life out of batteries as a weekend camper, plugging in when they get there.

Batteries last cycles, not years.

As a fulltimer, never plugged in, I wouldn't expect 9 years, out of my batteries. I was happy with 5.

What is your usage, during the 9 years.

Fulltime. Moving often, but always plugged in or charging while rolling. Spoiled!

http://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2015, 07:35 AM   #166

I think that if you really do the math it takes a pair of decent sized batteries to run a residential for a 24 hour day. If you have 4 batteries to start with you are left with 2 to run the rest of your setup. If you can add two you are back to the same capacity as when the refer was gas. Otherwise add LED lighting or whatever. The secondary issue there is that the big inverter invites more power usage in the form or toasters, hair dryers, microwaves, etc that are only "on for a minute" but the minutes add up.

The real problem is in the smaller units that can only run 2 batteries without major surgery. Add a residential refrigerator and they do have a problem. They also have a problem with roof space for adequate solar. When folks get into a discussion with mixed size units like this one there are real justifiable arguments for both setups.
Old 04-28-2015, 08:16 AM   #167

Monaco Owners Club
Not to sideline this thread in regards to inverter use but yes, the bigger Inverter's and larger battery banks do provide more power BUT I still stand by my opinion that heavy amp draw devices such as a hair dryer, coffee maker, toaster, microwave, etc. should always be powered by shore power or generator, NOT with an Inverter.

I believe that most microwave's that have quit prematurely have done so because the owners had run them on the Inverter once too often. Broken microwaves are discussed on this forum often.

Inverter's are great for 120 VDC lighting, TV's, radios, AC-DC chargers, clocks, most all small amp draw devices, etc. Problems start happening when you attempt to use heavy draw high amp devices.

This is my opinion only and I may be all washed up with this but my Sharp microwave is still running like new along with all of the other devices and this coach was born in Sept 2001, 14 almost years ago.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Old 04-28-2015, 09:48 AM   #168

Official iRV2 Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr4Film View Post
Not to sideline this thread in regards to inverter use but yes, the bigger Inverter's and larger battery banks do provide more power BUT I still stand by my opinion that heavy amp draw devices such as a hair dryer, coffee maker, toaster, microwave, etc. should always be powered by shore power or generator, NOT with an Inverter.

I believe that most microwave's that have quit prematurely have done so because the owners had run them on the Inverter once too often. Broken microwaves are discussed on this forum often.
You may have been correct about this when most inverters were of the MSW variety. There's absolutely no reason for a pure sine wave inverter to affect any of these devices adversely. That being said, however, we don't power any high wattage devices off our Magnum 2.8kW PSW inverter. For example, if I want my lunch warmed while we are traveling, I turn on the genny to run the microwave.

docj is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fridge