Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
View Poll Results: so all elect... love it , or hate it
hate it 22 9.95%
love it 185 83.71%
don't understand it 12 5.43%
just use an ice chest to camp 3 1.36%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 221. You may not vote on this poll

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-10-2015, 01:05 PM   #225

Vintage RV Owners Club
I only use my rv as a stationary living quarters but I've been happy with the circa 1991 norcold in it so far. It's quiet and keeps my food cold. It's also a model that doesn't require critical leveling as long as you are within about 5 or so degrees.

I haven't bothered with the LP gas mode yet on it but I'm sure it's nice to have a backup.

It seems well built and like it could pretty much last forever.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-10-2015, 01:47 PM   #226
Moderator Emeritus

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Our Dometic works OK, but if/when it craps out we will consider the options. I like the idea of the residential refrigerator, but I'm wondering how they will hold up after a few years bumping down the road.

SarahW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2015, 07:31 PM   #227

Quote:
Originally Posted by SarahW View Post
Our Dometic works OK, but if/when it craps out we will consider the options. I like the idea of the residential refrigerator, but I'm wondering how they will hold up after a few years bumping down the road.
About 75,000 miles of bouncing including 4 trips to Alaska and 6 to the southwest on 2 coaches with RR and no problems. Didn't want to take it to Prudhoe Bay because we also were carrying a 17 cu ft chest freezer. (800+ miles of dirt and gravel). Without the freezer, we'd have taken either rig.
Pigman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2015, 08:57 PM   #228

Quote:
Originally Posted by nothermark View Post
Size matters. So does propane paranoia. If you are driving a unit big enough for 4 House batteries they start to make sense. If not you asking for a lot of generator time.

The other feature seems to be all the stuff in the door and icemaker. Two things I am happy to do without because it is just that much more to worry about. Some people just have to have it along with their outside TV and party kitchen in the back. ;-)
I truly find it quite laughable that those who choose to upgrade are rediculed by those who don't with their main argument is that they are asking for more trouble....if thats the worry, just get a tent and a cooler. It happens when you go from a Lance Camper, to a class C, to a TT and from there to a Class A and then to a to a diesel pusher....people just love to nit pick and act like crabs in the barrel and instead pf acknolwging that you have a choice, they would rather knock it. I have had problems with my propane switching frig because it was not quite level for one, several times the propane ignigter had problems and would not lite......either way your going to have problems weather they are more or not but as a full timer we love the extra size, the ice maker, the fact that it functions just like the frig in your home. I have a 4 battery bank system, two, 200 watt solar panels and a 6KV generator so I can boondock for as long as my water hold out. While the propane option is a back up I would like to have, the features that a full sized residentail frig has are more of plus to me as well as my outside TV!

WDK
Old 07-10-2015, 09:03 PM   #229

Quote:
Originally Posted by nothermark View Post
To clarify, some are running their genset and some are not. If they are they are not running long enough to fully charge the batteries. What they are doing is getting 120 AC long enough to do other things and bulk charging the battery bank in the process. That will not be a full charge. It is also often in smaller units. If you read closely you will also find a mix of folks with big battery banks and solar feeding the refrigerator while others are running on two deep cycle batteries and whatever generator and driving time they get.

Those very different conditions dictate very different responses. They also represent very different cost outlays to get the system they have. That is why neither answer is perfect for everybody. The only bad answer is "everybody should do what I do".
My sentiments exactly.....and even worse, people will put down what you do to try and make you do what they do.

WDK
Old 07-10-2015, 09:21 PM   #230

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Star Don View Post
"tropical36"......No snarkiness, just looking for an honest answer! Your coach has a propane refer and you're happy with it, because it's what you have. So if someone gave you $300K and said go buy a NEW motor home of your choosing, you would special order one with a small propane refer because you don't eat that much cold food or fear that the refer would break down and ruin it.

Do you have the same fear of your refer at home quitting?
hehe....its like saying my volkswagon, gets better mileage than your cadilac!!

WDK
Old 07-10-2015, 09:39 PM   #231

Quote:
Originally Posted by CampDaven View Post
You got it, Dave!
We have a 14CF Dometic that holds more than enough and works superbly. You did what made sense, and I will if mine ever fails.
I have trouble understanding the "hard icecream" notations. We let spur of the moment choices choose our flavors in a good icecream shop once in a while. Having it aboard means no flavor choice and it would be gone to my midriff in a hurry.
I love em both but like what I have. Not primed for any whimsical expenditure.
I think I would like to have some hard ice cream on my coach, any flavor and still have the choice to go out to a nice parlor if I wish to get something different ....though perhaps that choice is more difficult if your nearest neighbor is a dried out cactus.

WDK
Old 07-11-2015, 01:15 AM   #232
Moderator Emeritus

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pigman1 View Post
About 75,000 miles of bouncing including 4 trips to Alaska and 6 to the southwest on 2 coaches with RR and no problems. Didn't want to take it to Prudhoe Bay because we also were carrying a 17 cu ft chest freezer. (800+ miles of dirt and gravel). Without the freezer, we'd have taken either rig.
Sounds good, but I'm still paying attention to threads like these... Whirlpool Refrigerator Running, but not cooling

Seems like nothing is perfect.

SarahW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2015, 06:38 AM   #233

Quote:
Originally Posted by SarahW View Post
Sounds good, but I'm still paying attention to threads like these... Whirlpool Refrigerator Running, but not cooling

Seems like nothing is perfect.

I have no objection to residential refrigerators but I don't understand all this talk about keeping your ice cream frozen. My motorhome is 29 years old has the original fridge and keeps my ice cream hard as a rock.
Old 07-11-2015, 10:47 AM   #234

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by wschaub View Post
I only use my rv as a stationary living quarters but I've been happy with the circa 1991 norcold in it so far. It's quiet and keeps my food cold. It's also a model that doesn't require critical leveling as long as you are within about 5 or so degrees.

I haven't bothered with the LP gas mode yet on it but I'm sure it's nice to have a backup.

It seems well built and like it could pretty much last forever.
Did you get ALL of the recalls done? The operative word here OK and I guaranty that is only temporary. Your Norcold coil WILL fail in time.

I don't understand why folks like you are not willing to at least acknowledge those who have chosen to upgrade with some sort of language.

More RVs have had fires and more food has been lost by RVers by the failing of the absorption coil or heater on the old standard rv refrigerator. The newer rigs and conversions have better reliability in all temperatures, very quiet service and less trouble over any given period of time than with the old absorption units. And, when your Norcold fails you will go into sticker shock with the replacement cost.

I do hope your Norcold continues to serve you well for a long time. I feel, though, that this is only good wishing to you and not reality.

Happy trails, even when not on the road.

Rick Y
Rick & Melissa Young & Dawson, 2011 Itasca Meridian 40U, Freightliner XCL, Cummins ISL 380HP/DEF, Allison 3000 MH, 2014 Honda CR-V, SMI AF1, Blue Ox tow equip., TST 507 TPMS, TruCenter steering control, Hughes auto transformer.
Servants On Wheels Ever Ready. Best job we ever paid to do . (full time volunteers)
jerichorick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2015, 02:34 PM   #235

Damon Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
let me say
DW LOVES IT
i love it
really like frozen ice cream, real cold beer, fresh deli meats last LONGER
temps are more consistent,
huge freezer, mucho more fridge space...all int eh same hole the old double door norcold occupied
tons of ice and faster.

uses less energy to run than the norcold, 3.2 amps at start up.
powerboatr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2015, 11:10 PM   #236

Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerichorick View Post
Did you get ALL of the recalls done? The operative word here OK and I guaranty that is only temporary. Your Norcold coil WILL fail in time.

I don't understand why folks like you are not willing to at least acknowledge those who have chosen to upgrade with some sort of language.

More RVs have had fires and more food has been lost by RVers by the failing of the absorption coil or heater on the old standard rv refrigerator. The newer rigs and conversions have better reliability in all temperatures, very quiet service and less trouble over any given period of time than with the old absorption units. And, when your Norcold fails you will go into sticker shock with the replacement cost.

I do hope your Norcold continues to serve you well for a long time. I feel, though, that this is only good wishing to you and not reality.

Happy trails, even when not on the road.

Rick Y
I'm not judging anyone that upgraded. I'm just saying that until it is actually broken I personally just have no great desire to fix it. I have a lot more pressing things on my to do list.

I can see reasons for both technologies to remain in use for the foreseeable future.

I am impressed at how long my old fridge has lasted though. I don't expect anything new to last that long no matter what kind it is.
Old 07-12-2015, 10:37 AM   #237

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by wschaub View Post
I'm not judging anyone that upgraded. I'm just saying that until it is actually broken I personally just have no great desire to fix it. I have a lot more pressing things on my to do list.

I can see reasons for both technologies to remain in use for the foreseeable future.

I am impressed at how long my old fridge has lasted though. I don't expect anything new to last that long no matter what kind it is.
Yea, I'm impressed too. I think in today's world, RVing or not, there is a rush from all of the manufactures of stuff to make it cheaper because most of the manufacturing cost monies are going into trying to keep up with the NEWest federal or international regulations imposed upon them. But, we can't forget that the ceo needs to get a good retirement perk also and that must be passed onto the consumer... Yep, that's you and me.

I hope your old frig outlasts even you. Why replace success with something less. Your frig is in a class of its own.

Happy trails,
Rick Y
Rick & Melissa Young & Dawson, 2011 Itasca Meridian 40U, Freightliner XCL, Cummins ISL 380HP/DEF, Allison 3000 MH, 2014 Honda CR-V, SMI AF1, Blue Ox tow equip., TST 507 TPMS, TruCenter steering control, Hughes auto transformer.
Servants On Wheels Ever Ready. Best job we ever paid to do . (full time volunteers)
jerichorick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2015, 01:10 PM   #238

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerichorick View Post
Yea, I'm impressed too. I think in today's world, RVing or not, there is a rush from all of the manufactures of stuff to make it cheaper because most of the manufacturing cost monies are going into trying to keep up with the NEWest federal or international regulations imposed upon them. But, we can't forget that the ceo needs to get a good retirement perk also and that must be passed onto the consumer... Yep, that's you and me.

I hope your old frig outlasts even you. Why replace success with something less. Your frig is in a class of its own.

Happy trails,
Rick Y
I don't think anyone is advocating going out and replacing your old propane frig especially if it works and in most applications I don't even think they make a size replacement. I think the frig in my Lance camper, a three way AC, DC and propane was the best I ever had, however buying new and given the choice between a normally smaller, less efficient, and often temperature fickle machine versus a full size residential frig, I think the latter is the better choice.

WDK

Tags
fridge