Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
View Poll Results: so all elect... love it , or hate it
hate it 22 9.95%
love it 185 83.71%
don't understand it 12 5.43%
just use an ice chest to camp 3 1.36%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 221. You may not vote on this poll

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-13-2015, 01:40 PM   #15

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Comparing an absorption refrigerator with a residential unit is like comparing apple and oranges. Kinda like comparing a dentist with an orthodontist.

They are both "fruit" that can keep food cold/frozen, but they have very different use profiles.

The absorption design is clearly more suited to boondocking.

The residential design, is well, simply like the refrigerator at home.
With significant additional financial and technical expenditure, (ideally, a large solar panel setup with a huge battery bank), a residential refrigerator can be setup to bookdock efficiently.

I have used two-way and three-way absorption refrigerator/freezers for over 20 years on all five of my RVs and 3 large 40'+ sailboats. When they are properly installed, insulated, and ventilated they will always freeze ice cream perfectly indefinitely, (at least all of the absorption refrigerators that I have owned).

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-13-2015, 01:42 PM   #16

Fleetwood Owners Club
Had both, Nevercold, now Residential. Never ever going back! Period!

Clayobx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2015, 01:49 PM   #17

Have had both & prefer the household type. More room, more efficient, less trouble.
Old 04-13-2015, 02:28 PM   #18

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
After 15 years my Norcold gave up the ghost. $581 vs $3500. The choice was simple. I could spend $2000 on solar and be money ahead.
I can't knock the Norcold. It worked well
Fulltime-Home is where we park it.
Davdeb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2015, 02:41 PM   #19

You can plug an RV in? Not where I want to camp.

Love my old 3-way.... Can camp for weeks without running the generator or engine.. on two really small house batteries... TV, computer, lights...

and the official term is GLAMPING...
Old 04-13-2015, 02:44 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by docj View Post
Last fall we came back from the Canadian Maritimes with 15 pounds of frozen halibut steak. Try that in a Norcold!
In my 1983 Domestic no problem... first time I used it I threw the bread in it figuring it would never get that cold... 30 minutes later all the bread was frozen solid... who knew... works the same as my home fridge...
Old 04-13-2015, 03:08 PM   #21

Official iRV2 Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedjjack View Post
In my 1983 Domestic no problem... first time I used it I threw the bread in it figuring it would never get that cold... 30 minutes later all the bread was frozen solid... who knew... works the same as my home fridge...
It wasn't the temperature I was referring to, but the volume. The freezer space in the Norcold 1200 series (the largest they make) is pitiful. Most of the gain in volume in our Samsung 18 cu ft unit is in the freezer.

IMHO this kind of thread is a waste of time. Different people have different expectations of how they will use their RVs. For us, having a residential fridge is a great benefit and doesn't limit our ability to go where we want. For others a residential fridge would crimp their styles. Neither side can convince the other and there is no reason for them to do so. JMO
docj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2015, 03:48 PM   #22

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post
My residential refrigerator draws 8 amps @ 12 volts, thru my inverter.

Any M/H, alternator will deliver that current all day.

If your towing, you should easily get that much thru the trailer connection.

My refrigerator consumes about 100 AH, a day. That's 1 pair of 6 volt, GC2s, drawing down to 50% charge. If you run a 50 amp charger 2 to 2 1/2 hours a day, your even.

Cooking meals and making hot water will require generator time anyway.
twinboat for your residential refrigerator to only draw 8 amps at 12 volts it would have to be only drawing .8 amps at 120. I think those numbers are kind of light when the compressor is on. You sure it is not drawing 8 amps at 120v which would then be 80 at 12 volts ?
Old 04-13-2015, 03:50 PM   #23

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I love the way people talk about going camping then talk about how much current their refrigerator, tv etc uses.

My sons flat told me that i do not camp in my RV I have two tv's a sattelite dish, kitchen, refrigerator, bathroom etc. They are right I do not camp I just have a mobile home that I park at different lakes.

For what it is worth. I also have had both and would never go back to the non residential refrigerator. If both worked equally which to me they do not. I would still not use the norcold because they appear to be a fire hazard.
Old 04-13-2015, 03:59 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by gemini5362 View Post
My sons flat told me that i do not camp in my RV I have two tv's a sattelite dish, kitchen, refrigerator, bathroom etc. They are right I do not camp I just have a mobile home that I park at different lakes.
Ever since we upgraded from a tent to a pop up we have referred to it as our "summer home." Unlike other people who own a second home, our summer home can be anywhere in North America we want it to be.
Old 04-13-2015, 04:14 PM   #25

twinboat for your residential refrigerator to only draw 8 amps at 12 volts it would have to be only drawing .8 amps at 120. I think those numbers are kind of light when the compressor is on. You sure it is not drawing 8 amps at 120v which would then be 80 at 12 volts ?

It is a 7.5 CF Avanti frost free, refrigerator.

I have a Trimetric 2020 battery monitor giving me this information. I have also run the unit thru a watt meter, to confirm the usage.
Old 04-13-2015, 04:20 PM   #26

Official iRV2 Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by gemini5362 View Post
My Samsung fridge is rated at ~100W average which is 8 amps at 12V. Yes, it can draw many times that when the compressor is starting, but that's the average usage.
docj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2015, 04:26 PM   #27

Newmar Owners Club
We love it, we have spent over 150 nights in our coach mostly with electric hook ups. Have never had any issues, never had to run the coach generator to charge batteries.

Have spent 3 days with NO electric using batteries with NO problem with the Fridge.

YES, We Love it........ oddly it was not by choice. We wanted a fridge that had No Issues. Sadly, many of the propane models have had issues.
cc8375 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2015, 04:41 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post
My residential refrigerator draws 8 amps @ 12 volts, thru my inverter.

Any M/H, alternator will deliver that current all day.

If your towing, you should easily get that much thru the trailer connection.

My refrigerator consumes about 100 AH, a day. That's 1 pair of 6 volt, GC2s, drawing down to 50% charge. If you run a 50 amp charger 2 to 2 1/2 hours a day, your even.

Cooking meals and making hot water will require generator time anyway.
The batteries are pretty much my point. That is two batteries for the refer and two more for everything else. Our current C only has room for 2 batteries. I have not seen anything int the 30 and under classes that have room for 4 house batteries.

We use no electric to cook and only a bit to run the propane refrigerator and hot water tank. OTOH when I am on shore power we use it all. Reality is we are more inclined to put a kettle on a burner than a cup in the microwave. Water heater is dual fuel.

FWIW The survey is missing the choice of "understand it but do not want it". ;-)

Tags
fridge