Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
View Poll Results: so all elect... love it , or hate it
hate it 22 9.95%
love it 185 83.71%
don't understand it 12 5.43%
just use an ice chest to camp 3 1.36%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 221. You may not vote on this poll

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-13-2015, 06:00 PM   #29

We love the residential refer. And we boondock a lot. In fact, it took me almost 3 years to talk Bob tiffin into building a 43' coach with gas hot air heat (instead of hydro-hot), gas hot water and a gas range with oven. According to what Bob told me, he will not build another, so we have a unique Bus.

When our 2008 Allegro Bus Norcold failed for the 3rd time, I replaced it with a Kitchen Aid and just loved it, so when we special ordered the current Bus, I specified a Kitchen Aid without icemaker and stuff in the door. We replaced the house batteries with Lifeline AGM's before we ever took delivery and as I said, we boondock a lot. Be it Quartzsire or Imperial Dam in the winter or Alaska every other summer. I also installed a dedicated inverter for the refer, and also use it to run a 3.5 cu ft basement freezer and a 17 cu ft chest freezer in the truck when we're bringing everything full of fish down from Alaska. We do not stop at any RV parks for that whole 10 day trip.

If I just had the 6 Lifeline's, we'd have to run the generator an hour or 2 in the morning and evening, but I also have 480 watts of solar on the roof that helps tremendously. I can go 2-3 days without generator running in good sun.

I agree with other posters saying they draw about 8A at 12V for the refer. I have about 1.3A 12V draw as coach parasite draw, and when I turn on the house inverter (2800W Magnum Inverter) then I'm drawing about 5.2A DC and about 8 more when the refer is on if I'm plugged into the house inverter. Since I use a dedicated Tripp Lite inverter I can lose the 5.2A and only pick up about 1.8A DC on the Tripp Lite. Then I add the 8A to the Tripp Lite. This is with the house inverter off and is how we configure for most time we boondock.

Pigman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-13-2015, 07:31 PM   #30

Fridge

Seems like all the problems arise with Norcold. I've had 4 Dometics and never had any issues.

Old 04-13-2015, 08:45 PM   #31

We love our 18.5 cu.ft. Residential refrigerator. Our old 5er had the standard combo fridge, way too small. We boondock most of the time when we RV, my gen does cycle on usually once during the nite, but runs pretty quiet and no complaints, but then again, no neighbors around to complain.
2013 Palazzo 33.3
Old 04-13-2015, 10:35 PM   #32

Outdoors RV Owners Club
When our 7.5 cu.ft. Norcold gave up the ghost, we replaced it with a 10.5 cu.ft. residential electric. Would never go back.

Our coach was built with two 4D house batteries, that's 400 AH to 50%. We added two more batteries, so we have a total of four 4D house batteries, giving up 800 AH to 50%.

With the switch to the new fridge and the added batteries, our generator usage has not changed. We realize that we should be able to practically eliminate using the generator if we'd get busy and add at least some solar charging.

I agree with the findings of others in this thread, our fridge is drawing on average approximately 8 amps at 12V from the batteries. So, fridge power usage is totally a non issue for us.

I would like to clear up one misconception about residential fridges. I have placed a Kill-A-Watt meter in the fridge receptacle to study how much power the fridge is using at night time. When we go to bed, we are not opening the fridge door any more. Based on average consumption, it appears that many nights our fridge only runs a total of about 20 minutes during the entire night! As a test, I turned the fridge off when we went to bed. In the morning, the temperature inside the fridge had dropped only 2 degrees! When I turned the fridge on, it ran for about 10 minutes to achieve full recovery!

So, fridge power consumption overnight is totally a non issue for us.

Our power consumption hogs are primarily our CPAP machines, and our propane furnace which sucks up lots of propane and uses lots of electricity.

I think our next coach should have an Aqua hot heating system so that we're using diesel for heating instead of propane. It really sucks to have to break camp and drive somewhere to get some propane.

Jim
Canada, eh?
Papa_Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2015, 10:39 PM   #33

Our Dometic was a great frig, you know what has been even better?

Our Maytag!

The way we use our coach, we will never go back to a RV frig. No down sides for us.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
PDR John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2015, 07:21 AM   #34

If our Dometic ever dies, I'd buy an 18ft. residential and a couple new Trojans. But maybe we'e been lucky,in 3 rvs, never had a Dom die.
Old 04-14-2015, 08:42 AM   #35

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by LVRVLUVR View Post
whats the deal.. is propane a gonner???
No; we use propane to heat water and our residential range and oven are propane along with the furnace.

is the only reason so full timers don't have to buy propane..

spoiled food... dead batterys ...short life batterys..extra hrs on gen...
no boon docking... neightbors cry'n about gen starting at 2am...
Dont know where you came up with this but it is not true.
We are fulltimers and 90% of the time we boondock. The genny wont start at 2am unless I want it to.

whats the catch here that I missed??
There is no catch.
Properly set up there is no reason that one cannot boondock for extended time with a residential refrigerator.
az bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2015, 09:29 AM   #36

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
The poll answers are kinda polarizing. When ever you put a poll with terms like love it or hate it you invite the extremes.

Certainly there are a group of folks that don't hate residential refers but PREFER gas/electric refers because of a whole host of reasons.

FWIW...I've haven't seen a single person that has had a RV refer and then a residential refer say they wanted the RV refer back. Not saying there isn't anyone but I haven't seen it and if you read the large numbers of those that made the change (replacement or new rig) ever want to go back.

For the most part, it appears that those that are dead set on RV refers believe they are the best for them and their style of use. Who is to argue with them?

Personally, I think that given the low power consumption of residential refers and a moderate sized solar system they could be very effective for boondockers. I say that because the boondockers could stock up on more food in a residential than an RV refer.

All that being said, after 2 Norcold 1200 LRMs (one where I replaced the cooling unit with an Amish cooling unit) either didn't work worth a spit or totally failed I'm very happy I made the change. The bottom line is that for US it works very well for OUR particular style of RVing.

Your mileage may very.
See owner's operator manual for limitations.
Past gains are no guarantee of future returns.
Don't run with scissors in your hand.
Old 04-14-2015, 10:14 AM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sky_Boss View Post
The poll answers are kinda polarizing. When ever you put a poll with terms like love it or hate it you invite the extremes.

Certainly there are a group of folks that don't hate residential refers but PREFER gas/electric refers because of a whole host of reasons.

FWIW...I've haven't seen a single person that has had a RV refer and then a residential refer say they wanted the RV refer back. Not saying there isn't anyone but I haven't seen it and if you read the large numbers of those that made the change (replacement or new rig) ever want to go back.

For the most part, it appears that those that are dead set on RV refers believe they are the best for them and their style of use. Who is to argue with them?

Personally, I think that given the low power consumption of residential refers and a moderate sized solar system they could be very effective for boondockers. I say that because the boondockers could stock up on more food in a residential than an RV refer.

All that being said, after 2 Norcold 1200 LRMs (one where I replaced the cooling unit with an Amish cooling unit) either didn't work worth a spit or totally failed I'm very happy I made the change. The bottom line is that for US it works very well for OUR particular style of RVing.

Your mileage may very.
See owner's operator manual for limitations.
Past gains are no guarantee of future returns.
Don't run with scissors in your hand.
Don't be so literal...and thanks for the post... as I voted don't understand it...

the reason for the post is to more educate everyone on the real answers..

if everyone did and didn't like it ... they would hate it..those as the vote shows that did it and like it "LOVE" it...

the benefit here is real testimonies , from those that have done it...
ratter they all drank the kool aid or not,you must decide...

I for one have heard a lot of bad about them, and as stated ... don't understand them and the battery system...

thing I don't like is it contains every thing to the batterys too much..

I heard(rumor) that they don't work good in the desert heat???
anyway... the thread has enlighten does that wonder... and educated those like me that flat don't know anything about them..

when we were looking at motorhomes the sales man told me the fridge ran off batterys....ahhhh no thanks... first thing I thought was that they were 12v fridges... double no thanks...

so at this point.. I'm at least on the fence about it...

also....
I run with scissors .... never had a problem...
Old 04-14-2015, 10:42 AM   #38

Monaco Owners Club
I absolutely LOVE the residential fridge in R HOME.

HERE is a fairly recent post that I had made to a different thread explaining WHY.

Everything is still the same and nothing has changed since then.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Old 04-14-2015, 12:20 PM   #39

How could a residential frig not work good in the desert?

Every house in the desert has had a 120 volt frig.

How some of these silly rumors get started is beyond me.

My frig has seen 120 degrees & -15 without a problem.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
PDR John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2015, 02:11 PM   #40

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by dezolen View Post
Seems like all the problems arise with Norcold. I've had 4 Dometics and never had any issues.
In particular, just one model of Norcold. The big 4 door model, (found in most of the larger 32'+ fulltimer coaches), was recalled due to leaking, and associated fires.

The paranoia from that particular recall has virtually created the demand and market for residential refrigerators in motorhomes.
Old 04-14-2015, 02:27 PM   #41

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDR John View Post
How could a residential frig not work good in the desert?

Every house in the desert has had a 120 volt frig.
Virtually every single stick home in the desert has a 120V AC power line installed directly to it from the local utility substation. And those stick homes that have made a dedicated effort to be "off grid" have an alternative power system of wind/solar power genreationwith a very large battery bank to provide power to their A/C, swamp cooler, and refrigerator.

A motorhome with a residential refrigerator is designed to be plugged into 120v AC shore power most of it's life. Yes, they do have a generator. And yes, with a substantial investment of technology and hardware they can be outfitted with a solar power system.

If placed in the middle of the desert with no external 120v AC power to connect to, in the OEM configuration, most motorhomes equipped with a residential refrigerator will need to run the generator. That requires fuel, and wear and tear of the generator.

A motorhome with an absorption refrigerator, (setup in the same desert right next to the coach with the residential refrigerator), with a full propane tank can run for at least a few weeks, with frozen-hard ice cream in the freezer!

When that coach, (with the absorption refrigerator), drives away because it still has fuel in it's tanks, it's driver can arrange for help to have fuel delivered back to the coach who had to run the generator to keep the beer cold.
Old 04-14-2015, 02:32 PM   #42

I ordered a propane stove and a bbq t-off the tank on my Winnebago Tour 2014. I did get the residential fridge but not the electric cook top. Works out well. Dry camped for 4 days without a battery problem but the coach has 6 AGM batts and a solar panel- 75watts. Even without the draw from an electric stove I still had the built in surge protector fail and start smoking.

Tags
fridge