Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
View Poll Results: so all elect... love it , or hate it
hate it 22 9.95%
love it 185 83.71%
don't understand it 12 5.43%
just use an ice chest to camp 3 1.36%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 221. You may not vote on this poll

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-14-2015, 07:38 PM   #57

My M/H is 7 hours away and has been sitting for 5 months.

It's a 2000 Gulfstrean, that I bought last year. The generator had 6 hours on it, when I bought it.

With 6 hours, it couldn't have been run every month, over the last 15 year's, yet there were no repair records for it, amongst the complete, chassis service records.

It ran great, when I parked it. Hope it still does.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-14-2015, 08:08 PM   #58

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by LVRVLUVR View Post
is that a correct figure..1/3 gph???

I have no idea on diesel...we have a 6kw.. would that be about right???

thanks...
in the 70's I got used to no gen...in the summer we went where it was cold... or at least cool at night to camp... mountains
never had anything that was 120v in the coach...made coffee with a coffee
pot..keep all the drinks in the ice chest... never opened the frig...

guess it's how you were in the beginning and what you're used to...

I am getting used to this diesel pusher though...
A while back on another thread people a lot more informed than me ran a spreadsheet with usage figures. I remember the figures on my usage.
I use the Genny 3-400 hours a year. I have a large oxygen concentrator I need to sleep with, so when boondocking, I run all night. Anytime its hot I drive with it on to use the A\C. Using the dash A\C isn't as comfortable.

Fulltime-Home is where we park it.
Davdeb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2015, 08:30 PM   #59

Residential fridge... love or hate it???

Davdeb1, you said it well: paraphrased, chince out for a bit of fuel and the piper gets paid too early!
Generators: use em or lose em. Born to run and they stay happier if excercised regularly.
I know of those that did not, and eventually the elecrical innards like field/armature and such give up from corrosion, even if the motor starts. All noise and no juice for your gizmos!
If you don't run em, you will not enjoy the moment of failure, nor the words that flashback to you from the operator manual.
Just sayin.....

http://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2015, 09:12 PM   #60

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
My "no cold" Norcold 1200 LRIM, developed a leak in the cooling unit on 04/05/2015. I had it on electricity at the time. A good thing otherwise it could have started a fire. A new amish cooling unit would have cost 1945.00. I installed a new Samsung Refrigerator RF18HFENBSR which has 17.5 cubic inch. for a cost of 1,374.93 I had to remove a side window, remove the doors on new frig. remove a overhead cabinet above the frig opening and drop the existing frig floor by 1 1/2 inches. A lot of work but well worth it. And then I just had to go and buy some Black Cherry Tillamook Ice Cream. The freezer stays at -3 and the frig at 38 degrees. I also do not have to worry about a frig fire. That alone is worth the change. I also have 4 Trojan T-145Plus batteries with a pure sine wave 2,000 watt inverter. Sorry I don't have any pictures. I also did all the Installation with 2 helpers to get it into the window.
Old 04-14-2015, 09:33 PM   #61

I always wonder where this "use it or loose it" generator myth started. I've bought several 10+ year old MH's with less then 200 hours on the generator and most with under 100 and all ran great. If I keep one over the winter I never start it until the first camping trip of the next season with no problems. Just because a manufacturer recommends something doesn't mean it must be followed or failure will occur. Running them occasionally may give you piece of mind but I think the 1000's of older MH's with generator's having hardly any hours that run fine speaks for itself.
Old 04-14-2015, 09:35 PM   #62

Simple answer...
Why would you purchase an RV with a residential fridge or an RV over 36 ft. "BIGGER IS BETTER" plain and simple. I would not wish to own an RV that long, but when I walk thru them at the shows, they are awesome!
Old 04-14-2015, 09:36 PM   #63

Quote:
Originally Posted by okie-dokie View Post
My "no cold" Norcold 1200 LRIM, developed a leak in the cooling unit on 04/05/2015. I had it on electricity at the time. A good thing otherwise it could have started a fire. A new amish cooling unit would have cost 1945.00. I installed a new Samsung Refrigerator RF18HFENBSR which has 17.5 cubic inch. for a cost of 1,374.93 I had to remove a side window, remove the doors on new frig. remove a overhead cabinet above the frig opening and drop the existing frig floor by 1 1/2 inches. A lot of work but well worth it. And then I just had to go and buy some Black Cherry Tillamook Ice Cream. The freezer stays at -3 and the frig at 38 degrees. I also do not have to worry about a frig fire. That alone is worth the change. I also have 4 Trojan T-145Plus batteries with a pure sine wave 2,000 watt inverter. Sorry I don't have any pictures. I also did all the Installation with 2 helpers to get it into the window.
I know this is off-topic, however it bears saying. The Norcold recalls are the result of frig fires, all of which have happened while the electric heaters were operating none have been recorded while operating on propane.
This "poll" does not attract the complaints posted elsewhere about the residential frig doors opening while traveling issue.

Someone talked about bring home 15# of frozen halibut steaks. I just did that last year,I have a Norcold 1200LRIM and a belly freezer in my MH. The belly freezer still had some room to bring home 10# of picked lobster meat too.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2015, 09:52 PM   #64

Winnebago Owners Club
Residential fridge... love or hate it???

Love my four door Norcold fridge, guess I must be "lucky", lol.

Works perfectly and I don't have to worry about draining the batteries. Wouldn't trade it for a residential electric fridge....love having propane AND electric to power it.

Cheers!
Old 04-14-2015, 09:56 PM   #65

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedjjack View Post
In my 1983 Domestic no problem... first time I used it I threw the bread in it figuring it would never get that cold... 30 minutes later all the bread was frozen solid... who knew... works the same as my home fridge...

We must have a rare Norcold because ours works great! Ours also has the ability to increase or decrease coldness as desired using the digital readout. Sometimes I need to decrease the coolness because the ice cream is too hard. I just don't get the "nevercold" comment.
It seems that the subject of refrigerators brings out real passion from those who have "switched" to residential units. I think those folks need to keep in mind that there are literally millions of absorption units in Rvs functioning just fine. Certainly I understand that if I used our rv full time an ac unit would probably be the best choice. But... for those of us who use the rig for travel and camping the two way absorption unit is the best option.
Old 04-14-2015, 09:59 PM   #66

Quote:
Originally Posted by HVAC Bill View Post
Simple answer...
Why would you purchase an RV with a residential fridge or an RV over 36 ft. "BIGGER IS BETTER" plain and simple. I would not wish to own an RV that long, but when I walk thru them at the shows, they are awesome!
Because it fit the lifestyle of how we use our coach and it is awesome.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
PDR John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2015, 10:07 PM   #67

I like them both, but love what I have.
IMHO, it just doesn't matter.
YMMV

http://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2015, 10:18 PM   #68

Official iRV2 Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by 89sandman View Post
I always wonder where this "use it or loose it" generator myth started. I've bought several 10+ year old MH's with less then 200 hours on the generator and most with under 100 and all ran great. If I keep one over the winter I never start it until the first camping trip of the next season with no problems. Just because a manufacturer recommends something doesn't mean it must be followed or failure will occur. Running them occasionally may give you piece of mind but I think the 1000's of older MH's with generator's having hardly any hours that run fine speaks for itself.
The concept of preventative maintenance (PM) is based on developing a maintenance regimen that, on the average, permits a device to be used for the greatest period of time with a reasonably low risk of failure. That is not to say that failing to adhere to a recommended PM schedule will automatically result in a device becoming unusable, but it does increase the risk that premature, preventable failure will occur.

You sound like some owners of DPs who figure that since "these are million-mile machines which I'll never drive nearly that far" why should they do any maintenance at all? Some of these folks are the ones who end up replacing engines with only a few tens of thousands of miles on them.

If you choose to ignore the Onan recommendation to run your generator occasionally during the winter it may never result in a problem for you. OTOH for a device that costs quite a few thousand dollars to replace I see no reason to take that risk. IMO it's no real trouble to turn it on for an hour or two every month or two. Even with diesel generators that don't have carburetor problems to worry about, the purpose of running them is to remove water vapor from the electrical components.

Do as you wish and I hope that things continue to go well with your approach.
docj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2015, 10:23 PM   #69

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr4Film View Post
If you only plan to use your generator sparingly, then I would prepare yourself for possible problems and repairs.

Generators, at least the Onan QD units are made to be used and run even when in storage.

Onan recommends exercising the generator for 2-3 hours at 50% load every month if not in use.

If used sparingly like you are stating, then one day when you go to push that button to get some AC to run you A/C's and it spits and sputters and doesn't run, it will be off to the repair shop to have it looked at.

It's your generator, your coach and your money, do as you please.

JMHO.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
well, we've had our new excursion for a couple months... 6500 miles on it and 85 hrs on the gen....

ive been down the road with onan before... the gas carbs plug up quick...

I keep lucas in my fuel.. run the gen weekly

when I un hook from power to go to load the boat, I turn on the gen and run the ac so it doesn't heat up inside...

when boondocking. we run it to make coffee every morn and run the vac...

but thanks for the advise...43yr of owning motorhomes here
Old 04-14-2015, 10:31 PM   #70

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post
My M/H is 7 hours away and has been sitting for 5 months.

It's a 2000 Gulfstrean, that I bought last year. The generator had 6 hours on it, when I bought it.

With 6 hours, it couldn't have been run every month, over the last 15 year's, yet there were no repair records for it, amongst the complete, chassis service records.

It ran great, when I parked it. Hope it still does.
the problem with them setting is they plug up the jets and passages
then you have to get a new carb...

the older ones you could clean them out...

I would run lucas fuel treatment in the tank when you run it

Tags
fridge