Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
View Poll Results: so all elect... love it , or hate it
hate it 22 9.95%
love it 185 83.71%
don't understand it 12 5.43%
just use an ice chest to camp 3 1.36%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 221. You may not vote on this poll

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-15-2015, 06:42 PM   #85

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davdeb1 View Post
You mean there was actually someone who has a residential and hates it?
Evidently so, there are 11 postings saying they do, but no one said why.

az bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-15-2015, 06:42 PM   #86

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davdeb1 View Post

You mean there was actually someone who has a residential and hates it?
If you look at the poll numbers presently there are 11 people who have stated that they hated it BUT I would bet my coach on the fact that those 11 people don't own a residential in their RV's and still have a working absorption fridge.

But still the writing is on the wall with the overwhelming Poll numbers clearing stating that people are getting fed up with the poor performance of the absorption fridges and their shortcomings versus a residential.

No one can dispute these results.

Dr4Film ----- Richard

Old 04-15-2015, 07:24 PM   #87

Official iRV2 Sponsor

I think that absorption refrigerators might make more sense if they were safe and worked well. Unfortunately, the large Norcold fridges are lousy refrigerators and are fraught with safety concerns. Yes, I know that some people swear they work perfectly, but mine seemed to work properly yet the consistency of our ice cream varied from brick hard to soup. IMHO RV refrigerator manufacturers assumed that residential appliances would never become efficient enough to threaten their market. As a result they didn't do anything to improve devices that essentially are the same as they were decades ago. Now they wonder why the accepted standard for high-end RVs is a residential fridge.
docj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2015, 07:40 PM   #88

I drove for 12 hours with some breaks in between on I95 on a saturday. I started with 100% SOC on our 4-6 volt batteries. By the time we settled down to sleep at a rest stop, we were down to 98% SOC. We have small portable fans, computers, LED lights, Water Pump and Fridge running... the next morning we were down to 92% SOC. Drove the final 3 hours home and the batteries were back to 98% SOC... we did not run the genny and we dont have solar. We have a single door residential fridge and is pretty happy with it.
Redridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2015, 08:35 PM   #89

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Gee, 88 posts but 95 voted. Not one post did they say "hated" it, except for the one that loved and hated it.
None of the haters even had one, how could they hate it? Why discuss something if some just flat out lie?
Fulltime-Home is where we park it.
Davdeb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2015, 08:47 PM   #90

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by docj View Post
I think that absorption refrigerators might make more sense if they were safe and worked well. Unfortunately, the large Norcold fridges are lousy refrigerators and are fraught with safety concerns.

Your opinion, but not FACT.

FACT is tens of thousands - the vast majority- of the Norcold refrigerators work flawlessly, without "safety" issues, for their entire useful life.

We wouldn't change ours out, we love it, works perfectly.

Just be careful stating 'opinion' as 'fact'.

Cheers!
Old 04-15-2015, 09:28 PM   #91

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by alpha99 View Post

FACT is tens of thousands - the vast majority- of the Norcold refrigerators work flawlessly, without "safety" issues, for their entire useful life.

Cheers!
And where does Docj state that it is a FACT?

In FACT he begins his post with "I think" which is a clear indication at least to me that it is his opinion.

What gets me is that folks like you who are very happy with their absorption fridges always have to keep justifying it to those that think otherwise.

Everyone has a right to express their opinions and they also have a right to choose what type of refrigeration they want to have in THEIR RV.

Give it a break, go use your fridge and chill out.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Old 04-15-2015, 09:56 PM   #92

Official iRV2 Sponsor

Quote:

Cheers!
I haven't had to put up with a home refrigerator that frosts up in more than 30 years. Nor have I ever had a home refrigerator with the anemic cooling capability of an RV absorption fridge, cooling so weak that you have to start it a day or two in advance of when you'd like to use it. Those are both facts. Add to that poor volume utilization (overall volume to cooled volume) which is also a fact.

If you like these features in a refrigerator, then, by all means, continue to use what you have. I, for one, would much rather have a modern frost-free unit with the capability of making more ice than I can use and 50% more usable volume.

And as for safety, I fully agree that the majority of Norcold LRIM1200's do not burn up. But the company must have felt that enough did burn to have warranted a recall campaign. A few years ago when one of the major laptop computer makers had a recall of power bricks that could burn up, the defective units were replaced with ones that didn't have that problem. In contrast, Norcold's recall didn't fix the actual problem, but simply resulted in the installation of a switch to turn the unit off if it started to overheat, and, hopefully, before such overheating resulted in a fire.

I lost all respect for Norcold when I learned how it was handling this recall, particularly after it became evident that quite a few of these switches were resulting in "false positives" which were causing many refrigerators to shut down until their owners brought them back to their dealers to reset the switch. As a result of this inconvenience, you can read on this forum any others numerous threads relating to how to reset your Norcold's temperature cutoff switch on your own.

So a company recognizes it has a potential customer safety problem and doesn't fix the underlying issue but issues a band-aid that is supposed to prevent the hazard from hurting anyone. But the band-aid is so poorly designed that customers learn to bypass it rather than be inconvenienced. So the net result is that the actual safety hazard may well go unnoticed because customers won't heed the warnings.

The more I write about this the more I miss my Norcold! NOT
Old 04-15-2015, 10:14 PM   #93

Winnebago Owners Club
Residential fridge... love or hate it???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr4Film View Post
And where does Docj state that it is a FACT?

In FACT he begins his post with "I think" which is a clear indication at least to me that it is his opinion.

What gets me is that folks like you who are very happy with their absorption fridges always have to keep justifying it to those that think otherwise.

Everyone has a right to express their opinions and they also have a right to choose what type of refrigeration they want to have in THEIR RV.

Give it a break, go use your fridge and chill out.

Dr4Film ----- Richard

Hello Richard,

He makes a declarative " factual " statement as follows; "Unfortunately, the large Norcold fridges are lousy refrigerators and are fraught with safety concerns."

Hope this helps.

Only some of the Norcold units were subject to recall most were not, mine was not; we're extremely happy with ours.

Any more questions? Lol! :-)

Cheers!
Old 04-15-2015, 10:38 PM   #94

Official iRV2 Sponsor

Quote:
Hello Richard,

Only some of the Norcold units were subject to recall most were not, mine was not; we're extremely happy with ours.
Maybe not all were recalled but >150,000 is a lot in my book:

Norcold 1200 Recalls
Old 04-16-2015, 01:16 AM   #95

This "thing" that seems to keep coming up is that RV fridges somehow don't cool. What nonsense!
It doesn't take a couple days to cool down as someone here said. It goes like this for us. When we are going to take a trip I pull our Vesta out of storage and drive it to the front of our house. I turn on the fridge using propane. We stock the fridge with cold items from the house fridge, ie. cold milk, beer, frozen meat, and yes ice cream.
Then we take off on our trip. No fuss! Everything is ice cold when we arrive, and I enjoy a nice cold beer after we settle in our campsite. Oh... and the ice cream is still good, not goo.
It works like this every time.
By the way, I like our residential fridge at our house too. It works great.
Old 04-16-2015, 02:46 AM   #96

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:

Cheers!

I agree with Alpha99. My side by side Norcold works great. It keeps the ice cream frozen and everything in the fridge if I set it too cold.
When it is running I always make sure it is level unless we are driving. If we stop on an uneven spot we turn of the Norcold until I can leave it. It has never let us down !
Pvt. E1 Retired, Shadow Hills,Ca.
Chuck 1935 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2015, 06:50 AM   #97

Fleetwood Owners Club
Fact: 151,000 plus Norcold recalls is certainly a huge safety issue. For those of you that own a new or older Norcold, KNOW that many fires have resulted in total property destruction and injury is this FACT not a concern? I had an old Norcold in my first coach and it worked. I had zero, nada, education as to it's use or problems as DW and I were newbies. This is not an opinion. If we still had our 03 and were aware of a potential life threatening device in or coach it would be GONE, OUTTA our coach. DW's and my furry baby's welfare are my responsibility. Common sense certainly dictates action be taken to protect and not sit on my wallet. I know many operational mechanism's are a potential dangerous threat to life, ie., combustible fuel, propane, etc. And can't be eliminated in our RV's. However, this issue can and reduces the percentage of exposure to injury and propery loss, simple conclusion. My guess, many will consider this post "my opinion." Oh well!
Clayobx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2015, 07:10 AM   #98

Docj et al
http://www.bornfreervclub.org/bullet...r_2012_166.pdf
Above is just one summation of the Norcold issue. Once lawyers got involved it became impossible to determine the percentage of fires because of confidentiality agreements the owners of burnt up RVs made with Norcold when they paid out. So it was very difficult for me (or anyone) to gauge the chances of a fire. I did read of at least one fatality. As I mentioned in an earlier post, we spoke with and saw the result of a 4dr Norcold fire in a Monaco Dynasty down in Miami. Although a very light sleeper, the owner said he almost didn't awaken to the fire alarm as he was likely affected by the thick smoke. Besides the worry about a fire (I admit to being a worrier) our Norcold quit several times and I had to make numerous trips to get it to run. Also there were three different "fixes" from Norcold, the latest of which being a 'black box' that supposedly shut down the fridge to stop a fire. Well our black box shut down and was determined to be defective itself. RV guy reset it and later it went bad again and he took it out. I did not buy an RV for all this. There was a round of people on blogs advising you could use a strong magnet to restart the black box if it was defective and no other signs of fridge failure was present. That was not acceptable to me--what if you overrode the black box and it was doing its job correctly? And besides all that, our Norcold was never very cold with soupy ice cream and warmish beer. And it came and went--never could predict when it might warm up. Also had to be defrosted about once a month at least. I am responsible for the safety of those who might be inside our coach. I am also very cheap. It took a lot for me to replace our Norcold and fortunately I was led by the hand by a very good friend--who happened to own a truck repair shop with a fork lift. Looking back, I should have gone to a Samsung sooner. But I am not suggesting anyone else do anything. Just reporting on our experience and reasons for going with a residential fridge. While not trying to persuade anyone else, I do resent those who try to persuade me that I could/should have kept that Norcold 1200 4 dr. Hope this helps.

Tags
fridge