Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-20-2017, 08:11 PM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Residential fridge power connection

I am about to replace my Norcold with a Samsung fridge. I will have a dedicated inverter for boondocking but would like to use shore A/C whenever available. You fellas that have done this, how do you switch between the two? This will be in our 2005 Adventurer 38J.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-20-2017, 08:19 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Inverter is pre wired to the entertainment center on my unit. Ran a wire from the fuse box for the entertainment center to the power outlet behind the Norcold (there is a 110 pre-existing outlet)! Switch the inverter on an on house battery power u have power to the refer! On shore power switch the inverter off. Traveling on the road on the inverter the engine keep a charge going to run the refer!

Stevegd007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2017, 08:27 PM   #3

When I changed out my refer to a residential model there was a plug behind the existing frig one for inverter and one for shore power. I plugged into the inverter side of the outlet and when I am plugged into shore power it automatically powers thru shore power and when I am traveling it powers from the inverter and the engine alternator keeps the batteries charged.
Old 09-20-2017, 08:41 PM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Get an Inverter with internal transfer switch or an add-on transfer switch. You then will have two inputs - 12vdc and 120vac - connect 120vac input so it is powered only if shore power present. Then the transfer switch will select input based on 120vac shore power availability.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2017, 08:47 PM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevegd007 View Post
Inverter is pre wired to the entertainment center on my unit. Ran a wire from the fuse box for the entertainment center to the power outlet behind the Norcold (there is a 110 pre-existing outlet)! Switch the inverter on an on house battery power u have power to the refer! On shore power switch the inverter off. Traveling on the road on the inverter the engine keep a charge going to run the refer!
My entertainment inverter is only 300 watts. I have purchased another inverter for the fridge alone. The 300 has A/C passthru so no switch is needed when going to and from shore power. The new inverter lacks this capability. Guess I could simply switch the new inverter off before plugging to shore and get the job done.
Old 09-20-2017, 08:50 PM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Or you could use the fuse panel for the inverter to switch it inverter off/on
Stevegd007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2017, 08:55 PM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevegd007 View Post
Or you could use the fuse panel for the inverter to switch it inverter off/on
New inverter has a remote switch. All I have to do now is REMEMBER to turn it off before plugging in to shore.
Old 09-20-2017, 10:04 PM   #8

That don't make sense. If you switch the inverter off, the fridge will go off, unless you move the fridges plug to another outlet.

You can't just connect all the wires together, something is going to smoke.

You need a seperate auto or manual transfer switch to control which power goes to the fridge outlet OR just let the fridge run fulltime in the inverter.

My fridge runs on the inverter full-time. If the engine is running, the generator is running, the solar is working or at the rate times I'm on shore power, the battery is being charged.
Old 09-21-2017, 03:48 AM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post
That don't make sense. If you switch the inverter off, the fridge will go off, unless you move the fridges plug to another outlet.

You can't just connect all the wires together, something is going to smoke.

You need a seperate auto or manual transfer switch to control which power goes to the fridge outlet OR just let the fridge run fulltime in the inverter.

My fridge runs on the inverter full-time. If the engine is running, the generator is running, the solar is working or at the rate times I'm on shore power, the battery is being charged.
Yup. I knew there was a simple answer.
Old 09-23-2017, 09:57 PM   #10

in my 2016 Outlaw if I turn my inverter off while plugged into shore power my fridge still works. I leave my inverter on all the time whether plugged in or not. That way if we lose power the inverter takes over to keep the fridge going
Old 09-24-2017, 06:09 PM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I'm not sure it really matters a whole lot. The frig really doesn't pull a lot of current. They are really pretty efficient today. That said, why not just run it on inverter power all the time. When you are plugged into shore power, you're charging the batteries anyway, just like when you are driving down the road. Difference is they are being charged by shore power rather than the engine alternator.
jt
harleyjt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2017, 08:22 PM   #12

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
When I installed a residential I added a dedicated circuit for the fridge from the breaker panel AND the inverter along with a transfer relay. The relay is energized by shore power so when I disconnect the relay de-energizes and switches to the inverter which is pretty much on all the time (so far).

Used this as the transfer relay - https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1.

I could probably have found a 120VAC double pole, double throw 15 amp relay for half the price but this one was convenient considering the plug end and case.
Old 09-24-2017, 08:29 PM   #13

Damon Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
not to be obtuse...but
my norcold outlet ran off inverter or shore power
the inverter switched to run this outlet if shore power was off and genny was not runny
but once shore or genny power was provided it ran off those.
unless the outlet you have is only powered by the inverter, which is very ODD.
you should have power to the outlet no matter which power source

you need to provide better details to the function or supply of the outlet currently used for the norcold
powerboatr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2017, 09:08 PM   #14

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via AIM to tmw188
I will be watching this post because I'm noticing my RF 18 doesn't seem to do that well off the inverter while driving, it could be batteries are getting close to the end of their life expectancy?
A side note if you don't want your fridge going thru the shore power to inverter power waiting to start your engine or you just don't want it on while driving because you have nothing in it you can manually turn it off that is what I do. It tells you how in the owners manual. It's done on the freezer side settings by pushing in on two buttons on top. It puts it in the showroom mode where only the lights will come on, and actually the will turn off after awhile.

Tags
fridge, power