Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-03-2013, 10:01 AM   #1

Residential fridge question

Having one installed next week. Do you need to have an on/off switch installed to prevent the fridge from coming on immediately when you hook up to power or the generator starts? Mine will not be connected to the batteries....strictly shore/generator powered. Searched the forum but didn't find an answer.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-03-2013, 11:42 AM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
My residential fridge has an "off" button on the door. Depending on the model, all residential refrigerators should be able to be turned off and on either on the door or inside.

BTW, I leave mine on, even when switching power sources or plugging/un-plugging. I'm not sure why you are concerned about it being off when you plug in or fire up the generator.

Jim28730 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 12:42 PM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
Our coach does not have an off button, GE model. I would have to flip the breaker if wanting to turn it off since it has it's own segregated inverter. No problem either way, hooking up shore power or the general set.
Clayobx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 07:07 PM   #4

ALL RR do NOT have an on off switch in fact few do. They require turning off the breaker at the panel. Just as most RR are connected to the inverter so no need fof the switch.
Old 12-03-2013, 07:57 PM   #5

residential frig

My frig runs directly off the inverter and it is always on so there is no problem with connecting and disconnecting from shore power or the gen-set. If yours will not be connected to an inverter it will not work while you are traveling from one place to another unless you run the generator. If it is going to be only on direct ac power I would turn it off before connecting and disconnecting from shore power.
David D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 08:00 PM   #6

Freightliner Owners Club
On my GE fridge I have to keep pressing the 'Warmer" button until the
display shows OFF. But my Progressive power divise will delay the ON and the generator will do the same.
Siggy
siggyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 08:53 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgholson View Post
Having one installed next week. Do you need to have an on/off switch installed to prevent the fridge from coming on immediately when you hook up to power or the generator starts? Mine will not be connected to the batteries....strictly shore/generator powered. Searched the forum but didn't find an answer.
I just had one installed 2 months ago and the plug is wired into the inverter side as in this install. Mine is the same coach just an 06. Mine inverter is on all the time so when I start the coach and unplug it is still on, no problems. In HOT weather you beer will get warm and your ice cream will melt.
Samsung Refrigerator Install
Right now in my driveway my inverter is on while plugged in. The only thing I need to get is an auto-genset start if I lost power and my batteries drop down to 12.2v it will start on it own.
2 stroker

2 Stroker is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fridge