Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-03-2016, 09:00 PM   #1

Residential refrigerator

Has anyone installed a residential fridge without using an inverter? In the process of signing the papers for a 2007 Bounder with the Norcold refrigerator and was thinking about swapping it out, but the coach did not come with an inverter. I can use the generator, but was wondering if anyone has done it this way before and how it worked out for them.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-03-2016, 09:19 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Spartan Chassis
I installed a Samsung in our previous rig, and did not add an inverter. We live in OK and it gets hot in the summer.

I put a remote temp sensor in the freezer and one in the refrig. And could watch the temps while we traveled.

The Samsung had a " boost " mode. I would turn it to boost when I would get up in the morning prior to departure. We like to stop for lunch in a rest area, about 30 minutes before lunch I would start the generator and let it run for an hour. ( was nice to have it on, the DW could use the microwave, I could flip the tv on in some locations while I had lunch.)

Fact the ice cream in the freezer was harder and colder at the end of the day, than it ever was on any day in our Nevercold 1200

Wish our current rig had room for the Samsung, it was the best upgrade I ever made to any of the 4 motorhome we have owned.

Old 09-03-2016, 10:40 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Our Dometic went out a month after we bought our 2000 Newmar. Installed a residential fridge. I ran the fridge for several months without an inverter, but have since added one. If your typically camping locally with power, you don't need an inverter. For long trips, you do have the option of starting and running the generator for a bit. We dry camp over 15 days a year so an inverter is quite handy then.
Old 09-04-2016, 06:47 AM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
We have a residential with an inverter. The wife always forgets that we are not on shore power until she tries to use her hair dryer. The refrain works great, but has a tendency to bounce open on rough roads on longer trips. Without the inverter, you will be limited on how long you can drive without running the generator and will almost always have to have shore power. Sure, it can be done, but why limit your experiences to always camping at RV parks and no boon docking? Running the generator all night to keep the refrain cold does not sound like any fun. Besides, inverters have come down in price and are fairly reasonable considering the flexibility that they provide.
Old 09-04-2016, 08:32 AM   #5
RDG

Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jfs999 View Post
Has anyone installed a residential fridge without using an inverter? In the process of signing the papers for a 2007 Bounder with the Norcold refrigerator and was thinking about swapping it out, but the coach did not come with an inverter. I can use the generator, but was wondering if anyone has done it this way before and how it worked out for them.
I did and no issues to report. Got a trip to Nashville this coming weekend and we will run the generator for the refrigerator and AC.
New Refrigerator

Bob
Old 09-04-2016, 03:33 PM   #6

We will never boondock and will always be on shore power. Same as some of the others....no problem traveling from point A to point B without having the fridge on an inverter. We stop for lunch and turn on the genny, but the rest of the travel is usually without the inverter on. No problem.
Old 09-04-2016, 05:00 PM   #7

We had a TT and swapped out the fridge for a residential unit. I installed a small inverter to run the refrigerator. No problems.
Old 09-04-2016, 05:44 PM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Asduming you go post to post (always at CG with electric hookup). It will stay cold for hours while traveling. I would still want an inverter, just in case...
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2016, 06:04 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jfs999 View Post
Not in an RV but I used to have a 41 foot power boat and the installed refrigerator died so I put in a smallish apartment size refrigerator. The refrigerator would stay cold all day long unless the door was being opened often. I didn't need to run the generator during the day to keep it cold. I'd think you'll be OK if you can plug in every night or run the generator a few hours every night.

1ciderdog is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
refrigerator