Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-18-2014, 10:26 AM   #1

Residential refrigerator choices

I have a 2005 Winnebago Adventurer 35A that I am considering changing out the Norcold 1200 fridge. I have searched ALL the threads on this topic and most have installed the Samsung 197. This fridge is too tall for my application.

Who has installed a residential fridge that is 63" OAH or less and hopefully no more than 26" deep that is VERY quiet? I would appreciate the make and model fridge you used as well as your experience with the fridge. I guess I can't be to specific on the capacity volume, but I hope to get at least 9 to 10 cu ft.

Please don't suggest doing a search as I have already do that. Thanks!

vapor3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-18-2014, 10:43 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by vapor3000 View Post
I have a 2005 Winnebago Adventurer 35A that I am considering changing out the Norcold 1200 fridge. I have searched ALL the threads on this topic and most have installed the Samsung 197. This fridge is too tall for my application.

Who has installed a residential fridge that is 63" OAH or less and hopefully no more than 26" deep that is VERY quiet? I would appreciate the make and model fridge you used as well as your experience with the fridge. I guess I can't be to specific on the capacity volume, but I hope to get at least 9 to 10 cu ft.

Please don't suggest doing a search as I have already do that. Thanks!
Nothing is "easy", you said you already did a search, but it sounds like you did a search on RV forums. If so, do what I did, start by Googling "counter depth" refrigerators, then look at lower capacities (cubic feet) by manufacturer. If the Samsung 197 is too large, look for counter depth units less than 18 cu ft.
Also I just did a google search on: "refrigerators less than 63" tall" and got quite a list of entries.

The reason the 197 is so very popular is BECAUSE of it's size, so you might have some difficulty. In my case, the Samsung 197 was installed after removing an overhead cabinet, others have had to lower the floor of the cabinet that the old Norcold sat in.

Not sure what your definition of VERY quiet is, but that will, in all likelihood not be determined until after installation and, then, only by you.

I sincerely hope someone on this forum can help you out, good luck!

stik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2014, 03:45 PM   #3
RMS

Whirlpool 10.7

I took out the Norcold 1200 and replaced it with the Whirlpool 10.7. Filled the gap with a couple of cabinets. Works great and looks good.

Not only that but, it fit through the entry door. There are several fridges in that capacity that will work for you.
Old 10-19-2014, 06:25 AM   #4

I think a Whirlpool WRT111SF will fit the bill for you. In our case it protrudes out a little further than that worthless Dometic we had, but not terribly so(3"). It's the best mod we've done. You might also want to consider a PSW inverter. I'm not sure if it would run correctly on a MSW.
Ramets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2014, 09:06 AM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
This 14.8 cu ft one should fit for height at 59.63" and take rollers off for more clearance
. .
I am going to use it when my worthless 15 year old 12 cu ft side by side Dometic used full time for 12 years quits.
Triker56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2014, 09:10 AM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Sounds like your fridge is in a slide, like ours. We opted for the Whirlpool ED2FHEXVS with the though-the-door water dispenser. Was a perfect fit with the wheels removed. \ken
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN2313c.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	64.7 KB
ID:	76878  
Bumps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2014, 09:18 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramets View Post
I think a Whirlpool WRT111SF will fit the bill for you. In our case it protrudes out a little further than that worthless Dometic we had, but not terribly so(3"). It's the best mod we've done. You might also want to consider a PSW inverter. I'm not sure if it would run correctly on a MSW.
Thanks for your help. How is this fridge noise wise in your coach? I have read certain reviews that have complained about Whirlpool compressor noise. I don't recall this model showing up on that behalf.
Old 10-19-2014, 10:17 AM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I just installed the Samsung 197 in my Journey. Had to remove the overhead cabinet. Mine is in a slide so depth - not height - was the key consideration as there is an angled wall in front. The Samsung is the exact depth and width as the Norcold hence its popularity. I could not find any other fridges that met that criteria. I would suspect it might be easier to remove the overhead cabinet than do other framing work to support a fridge with different dimensions. The Samsung works well, cools quickly and can be run on a MSW inverter. Good luck, it is not a difficult job once inside the coach if wood work is minimal.
bobmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2014, 11:18 AM   #9

Country Coach Owners Club
Go to AJMadison.com. You can search for refrigerators with the size specs you desire.
1995 CC Magna #5280
C8.3L 300hp Cummins, 31,000lbs
deandec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2014, 09:10 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by vapor3000 View Post
Thanks for your help. How is this fridge noise wise in your coach? I have read certain reviews that have complained about Whirlpool compressor noise. I don't recall this model showing up on that behalf.

Noise is minimal. Barely hear it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC03508.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	260.2 KB
ID:	76948  
Ramets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 08:44 AM   #11

roof vent

My old Norcold is out and the new 10.7 cu ft Kenmore is on the way!

Did you guys that have installed residential fridges in your MH block/seal the roof chimney vent? I know you must block/seal the side inspection vent/cover, but how about the roof vent? Thanks
Old 10-22-2014, 10:32 AM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
This may be a dumb question, but how do you guys get these INSIDE the motorhome?!
castrol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 10:38 AM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by castrol View Post
This may be a dumb question, but how do you guys get these INSIDE the motorhome?!
Our installer temporarily removed the driver seat and removed the driver's side window. On our Monaco the window is quite large and both the Samsung and the Norcold fit through it easily.

We retrofitted a Samsung RF197. The extra height of the refrigerator was accommodated by lowering the floor below the fridge. The guys that did this for us were real pro's and had a pile of Norcold 1200s waiting for a trip to the junkyard...to them it was nothing to modify the cabinet (Elite Repair & Remodelling...highly recommend them!)

Before:

After:
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
tricotec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 10:13 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by castrol View Post

On my 39K the refrigerators fit through a passenger side window - had to take the doors off both the Norcold and the Samsung. Also moved a sofa and removed a valance but it was then a straight shot in and out. I do have a tractor with pallet forks so used that to lift to the correct height for inserting and removing the units. My wife and I, both in our 70's, were able to get the refrigerators in & out and do the installation.

1ciderdog is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
refrigerator