Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-22-2016, 01:15 PM   #15

Tiffin Owners Club
"We have a new Norcold 1200 on order - should be here this week. Kinda wish this thread would have been started last week."

Dry camp for both racing and football for a week at a time and we have the residential fridge. We have never had an issue with dead batteries or the like. We have 6 6-volt batteries. By running the generator 2 hours in the am and 2 hours before bed (when we are cooking, making coffee, etc) takes care of that. After having a Norcold in a previous coach, we determined that we would never have another one, ever. Always a problem with staying cool enough and spoiled food even with fans inside.

Melmoses is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-22-2016, 01:26 PM   #16

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
NO REGRETS! We only have 4, 6 volt golf cart batteries and a 2000 watt MSW inverter (all original design). I just wish I did it before it caught fire. No damage other than a spilled beer when I came flying up out of my chair by the campfire.
I can run over 12 hours with no hook up and the coach engine off. I now use the generator auto start feature just in case, although it has never had to start itself. for one reason or another we have the generator on for something and it seems to be long enough to bring them back up.

jleamo1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2016, 01:27 PM   #17

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
If I had a NoCold on order I would cancel it, $3000 vs the $700 I spent, no way!
jleamo1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2016, 01:38 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by jleamo1 View Post
If I had a NoCold on order I would cancel it, $3000 vs the $700 I spent, no way!

If I had a $3000 Norcold on order, and for some reason couldn't cancel, I'd still go with a residential and sell the Norcold for whatever I could get !!
Old 09-22-2016, 01:50 PM   #19

From what I read Dometic is a better choice than Norcold. And Samsung seems to be a favorite RR. Guess we are just lucky as we have never had a problem with Ice Cream being soft or too little room in fridge. A friend has an RR with 1700, yes 1700 watts of Solar. Plus I understand they make more noise. Here are a couple of links you may wish to look at to help with your decision:
Residential fridge ice buildup

Residential Refrigerator Failure in RVs
Old 09-22-2016, 02:12 PM   #20

Damon Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
regret not making it part of the delivery deal.
best money i have spent on the RV to date.
Old 09-22-2016, 05:05 PM   #21

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by powerboatr View Post
regret not making it part of the delivery deal.
best money i have spent on the RV to date.
We did make it part of our delivery deal. They were going to replace the front windshield anyway. I paid them $500 to install it while the windshield was out. I had the Samsung drop shipped to the dealer. Best money we have spent so far.
Roadmaster Blackhawk 2, RVI2 Brake System
Scottybdivin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2016, 11:07 PM   #22

Low end A's are coming with them to keep the cost down. Larger units (over 35') they assume you are going to be running the gen anyway. I just put in a new 2way Dometic because the Norcold in my new to me unit was cooked. This is a 31' A with a 6cu ft unit. I can not speak yet because we have not taken it out with the new unit yet. I went with the 2way because ... well maybe I did not research enough.. but putting in a 12 inverter for driving and a retrofit that I have seen too many times to suck was not over the balance of cost and not having to be 100% level did not work for me. I went with the 2way replacement. Guess only time will tell.

Really I think just like RV configurations it comes down to.... what are you trying to do with it and what works for you.
Old 09-23-2016, 12:12 AM   #23

My only regret (although it was not really possible) is not getting a bigger residential fridge. I was limited by width mostly with cabinets on the sides. Height was an issue also I could have lowered the floor closer to the furnace and got 6 inches or more. I leave the residential on all the time when it's in storage. The frost free feature works great and there is never any ice build up. Mine is a tad over 10 cubic ft and with our type of use it is fine. My Dometic was a little smaller actually.

noserider is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
refrigerator