RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-16-2019, 01:06 PM   #127

Absorption refrigerators are a major cause burned up RV's. Don't believe me just ask the RV wrecking yards. My Samsung 18 cf runs over 14 hours with 6 deep cycle 6 volt batteries. With auto gen start I never worry about it and I don't to worry about level or my ice cream melting.

79cvx20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-18-2019, 04:59 PM   #128

Six Continental 6v which are the same battery as Trojan but with a cheaper sticker in place of the Trojan label. Made by the same company. All connected together and run the Samsung 18cf refrigerator over 14 hours.

Old 03-18-2019, 05:03 PM   #129

A friend of mine was physically searching RV wrecking yards last year and most of the burned ones were caused by the absorption refrigerators.
Old 03-18-2019, 06:32 PM   #130

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I see where some folks state that they have an auto start feature for their generator when voltage is low. With trying to decide to convert to an residential fridge or purchase another ac/lp fridge this interest me. Can someone direct me to info on this please?
Thank you in advance for your help.
Barneyb is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2019, 07:21 AM   #131

Monaco Owners Club
Send a message via ICQ to Ivylog
I have the auto start and other than to see that it works, I never use it. IF I were going to be away for several days then I would, otherwise I crank it when going to use a high amp item.
Ivylog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2019, 08:18 AM   #132

American Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barneyb View Post
I see where some folks state that they have an auto start feature for their generator when voltage is low. With trying to decide to convert to an residential fridge or purchase another ac/lp fridge this interest me. Can someone direct me to info on this please?
You may or may not have this feature.
It's usually on an interior control panel for the genset.
Most modern DP coaches with a Diesel gen, with have it.

You should probably state your coach specifics, along with your signature for more responses to any question.
tropical36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2019, 08:20 AM   #133

...Auto gen start was an OEM feature on my 2003--haven't used it in 16 years. Depending on type of genset, retro-fitting an AGS system might be difficult and/or expensive. AGS systems usually respond to low battery or a preset cooling or heating temperature. So typical applications for AGS is either keeping up the bats for your fridge, etc, while off the grid, or keeping the rig cool or warm for pets or to protect pipes from freezing. Modern RV gensets are pretty sophisticated and very safe to operate--but it would make me a bit nervous to have genset run for long periods when I am not around. That is when things can, and often do, go wrong--IMHO......
Old Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2019, 06:40 PM   #134

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by tropical36 View Post

You should probably state your coach specifics, along with your signature for more responses to any question.
Ok I think I accomplished that, thank you
Old 03-19-2019, 06:55 PM   #135

Quote:
A search for AGS, Automatic Generator Start or a new thread may lead to your answer. Many manufacturers included the feature on coaches equipped with residential refrigerators. It can be turned on or off at the thermostat.
Old 03-19-2019, 07:10 PM   #136

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
There are atleast two good AGS systems - the Onan EC-30 and an AGS module as a part of a Magnum Inverter. Most factory installs use the EC-30 but it is too costly to retrofit as it requires 16 connections to the Coach's wiring. You best bet is the get the Magnum add on - if you have the Magnum Inverter - or replace the existing Inverter/Carger with a Magnum unit. I installed an EC-30 in a previous Winn class C where full wiring diagrams were available and every wire in the coach had unique identifier and it took me 15 hours. I am also an electrical engineer and willing to try anything. Unless you have like resources, I wouldn't recommend It as a DIY job.
If you think you already have the EC-30 installed, download the EC-30 manual - it is not simple to use but once you get the hang of it, it will be a real asset.Good luck,
bobmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2019, 07:28 PM   #137

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by tropical36 View Post

Nope, I tried but looks like it didn’t work. My coach is a 2008 Fleetwood discovery 40X Cummins 350 Freightliner chassis with Onan 8000 gen set.

Thank you again
Old 03-20-2019, 08:10 AM   #138

American Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Nope, I tried but looks like it didn’t work. My coach is a 2008 Fleetwood discovery 40X Cummins 350 Freightliner chassis with Onan 8000 gen set.

Thank you again
I would think that a Discovery would have this feature.
Someone with a like coach, should probably chime in now.

tropical36 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
refrigerator, residential refrigerator