Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-25-2014, 01:24 PM   #1

Residentual Refrig Power

I have a Monaco Knight 40' PLQ with a Norcold Refrig and just about complete with my conversion to F&P Refrig. How is everyone powering the new refrig???
kvhookj is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-25-2014, 01:27 PM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
I just plugged my F&P into the constant powered 120v receptacle behind the old Norcold. Works automatically on shore, generator or inverter power. My coach has a 2000 watt MSW Xantrax unit.
Old 09-25-2014, 01:31 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

The F&P expects a pure sine power source, so I would not recommend using the old outlet if it is powered by a modified sine inverter. The Norcold icemaker ran fine on MS, but the F&P may suffer long term damage or just plain misbehave.

You can add a modest size pure sine inverter, using your existing battery bank, to power just the fridge, leaving your previous system intact if you wish.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2014, 01:37 PM   #4

The Samsungs will work off a modified sine wave
mccrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2014, 02:00 PM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary RVRoamer View Post
The F&P expects a pure sine power source, so I would not recommend using the old outlet if it is powered by a modified sine inverter. The Norcold icemaker ran fine on MS, but the F&P may suffer long term damage or just plain misbehave.

You can add a modest size pure sine inverter, using your existing battery bank, to power just the fridge, leaving your previous system intact if you wish.
According to the engineers at F&P it will work just fine on an MSW inverter. I called and asked first.
Old 09-25-2014, 02:27 PM   #6

X2 for the F&P on MSW inverter.

I too called F&P and asked before doing it. They told me it was no problem. I've been running mine plugged into the inverter outlet for about a year and a half now. Granted, it runs off the inverter rarely as I'm normally connected to shore power or running the generator, but it has been on the inverter several hours at a time.
vtwinwilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2014, 03:24 PM   #7
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
"kvhookj".....I added the residential unit to my Diplomat. At the time I did mine, 18 months ago, everyone was just using the OEM inverter (Magnum) and the four coach batteries.

Being anal, I added Magnum's 600 watt msw inverter above the OEM inverter (I bolted it to the ceiling of the compartment, above the Magnum ). I powered just the refer off the new inverter. It worked great.

I also added two more batteries. My coach DID NOT have the slide out battery tray, so I welded up a shelf above the coach batteries and moved the starting batteries to the shelf. This gave me room to add two or four more coach batteries in the battery tray.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2014, 03:28 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Star Don View Post
"kvhookj".....I added the residential unit to my Diplomat. At the time I did mine, 18 months ago, everyone was just using the OEM inverter (Magnum) and the four coach batteries.

Being anal, I added Magnum's 600 watt msw inverter above the OEM inverter (I bolted it to the ceiling of the compartment, above the Magnum ). I powered just the refer off the new inverter. It worked great.

I also added two more batteries. My coach DID NOT have the slide out battery tray, so I welded up a shelf above the coach batteries and moved the starting batteries to the shelf. This gave me room to add two or four more coach batteries in the battery tray.
Don, did you mean Pure Sine Wave ?
Old 09-25-2014, 04:16 PM   #9

National RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by kvhookj View Post
I have a Monaco Knight 40' PLQ with a Norcold Refrig and just about complete with my conversion to F&P Refrig. How is everyone powering the new refrig???
Obviously I have a different brand of RV but my Norcold 120 volt power was only through shore power or generator power. I added a circuit breaker to the inverter panel and used the same wiring from the panel to the refrigerator. Mine has two circuit panels one specifically for the inverter.
1ciderdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2014, 04:28 PM   #10

Tiffin Owners Club
If you have an ice maker, then typically you have 2 outlets. One is on shore/generator power for the electric element, and one is on inverter power for the ice maker. Otherwise no ice when boondocking.
Old 09-26-2014, 05:57 PM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
According to the engineers at F&P it will work just fine on an MSW inverter. I called and asked first.
I stand corrected! When last I checked, Samsung was the only fridge maker who would warranty operation on MSW. I guess F-P got on the bandwagon too. That's good news!
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2014, 08:16 PM   #12
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
"Bruceisla"......No, it was their msw inverter. The 600 only comes msw. I used it because it had a pass thru for 110volt.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2014, 08:46 PM   #13

I was trying to determine what size inverter we would need if we choose to get one solely dedicated to a residential fridge. Am I correct that a 600 is large enough?
Old 09-26-2014, 08:53 PM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
600 watts is 5 amps at 120 VAC. Look at the fridge you are going to install and what the compressor needs to use at start-up and when running and cooling.

Most inverter's will have a surge value to take care of compressor surge.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Dr4Film is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
power