Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-10-2014, 06:32 PM   #1

Ford Super Duty Owner
Restringing Day/Night Shade

I am in need of restringing a day/night shade due to a broken cord. I'm not afraid of the job but because the cord is broken I have concerns about the lengths of cord I need. This particular shade has 4 cords running through it. Somewhere I saw an equation determining the length of cord needed. It had something to do with width versus length. Does anyone know the forula used to do this ? Last thing I want to do is find out I am to short.

Thanks for any help.

LSC9901 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-10-2014, 06:40 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
See if this helps you out.
HOW TO: Re-String a Pleated RV Window Shade - YouTube

"For GOD'S sake, be human"
Tomtall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2014, 07:16 PM   #3

Ford Super Duty Owner
That particular video uses the current cords in it. Mine are broken, and shriveled up so i cannot determine for sure. Somewhere out there on the interweb there was a formula. Something like 2 1/2 times the width by "X" the length ????

Old 11-10-2014, 07:28 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Gotcha - See if this is what your after.

How Much String Do I Need?

Old 11-10-2014, 07:34 PM   #5

I can't find the link right now, but you determine total length by measuring from top to bottom of blind,+ measure width of blind X number of strings X 2 then add 2 feet to allow for attaching the string to the tension knob at the bottom of window.
These websites may be of use: Blinds & Shades Replacement Parts | Repair Instructions | FixMyBlinds.com
Rv Shade Repair Kit - The Dirty Blind Man Llc

Ignore the above, I found the formula: http://www.dirtyblindman.info/cord-c...-the-math.html
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2014, 07:41 PM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Ray

Quote:
TomTall, that website is not for day/night shades in an RV.
Thanks for the correction. I thought that was what they were discussing. it was from "Fixmyblinds.com"

Old 11-10-2014, 07:48 PM   #7

When we did ours one was broken I just took it apart and measured the unbroken cord you will want to replace all of them anyway, once you see how they work it's easy to restring them. By the way you can buy replacements at Jo Ann fabrics and if you rub candle wax on the string it will make them move easier.
Elf111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2014, 03:36 AM   #8

Inspect the string guides for wear, if any are worn at all replace all of them. A worn guide will quickly wear out the new strings. When re-installing, only place enough tension on the strings to hold the blind in place, too much will also quickly wear out strings.Don't know why I said that, it's all on the dirty blind man website.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2014, 06:17 AM   #9

Workhorse Chassis Owner
We always argue about the length. We have restrung several in different sizes. It is amazing how long they can be. My DW likes to cut them exactly before restringing (I always sneak in a few extra inches). I prefer trimming at the bottom clamp after the job is completed. That way you are sure to have exactly the right amount. If you want to string from the top first a compromise would be to work with a cord several feet longer than estimated. I started with a 300ft roll so having a few feet of scraps left over after each project is not a problem.
Volunteers USFWS. 9,300 hrs each, 29 refuges. 04 Allegro 30DA, WH 8.1, Banks, 2012 Jeep Liberty , Brake Buddy Adv Select, 300watts Solar, "Philippians 4:11-13 KJV"
Rocky Larson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2014, 12:04 PM   #10

Rexhall Owners Group
When we did ours, we found out the hard way that the math doesn't always work. Restring the blinds with the full amount of cord in the kit and trim when you are done restringing. No muss, no fuss and no mistakes.
Old 11-11-2014, 12:44 PM   #11

I restrung one blind recently. Not shown in the videos was that this blind had rivets that had to be drilled out. Other than that frustration it was a relatively simple job.
RDunstan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2014, 12:22 PM   #12

Ford Super Duty Owner
Restrung it today ! Went as well as I had expected. If I have to do another one I expect it will go much quicker and smoother. When taking it apart you need to pay particular attention to how it all goes. I made one error in the reconstruction phase which was easily remedied. The only issue I had that was minimally baffling was that I really had to draw down on the strings pretty tightly to insure that the blind would stay up in the up position.

Happy I did it and am ready for the next one. I did get the string at Joann Fabric. It was less than $5.00 for 24 yards. With a coupon it was a thrashing $2.12. Not bad for a repair cost.

Thanks for all the help.