Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-30-2017, 05:56 PM   #1

Retracting class A jacks manually

Evening all,

Recently one of my jacks would not raise, I reset the contoller and started again?

What would I do in the situation where a jack would not raise. Can they be manually raised with a power drill/screw driver? If so what attachment would I need?

Coach is a 2005 Damon Daybreak.

Thanks,

Stephen
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-30-2017, 06:13 PM   #2

The electric jack from Power gear can be raised with a socket wrench with a socket adapter on a drill. They have a brake that needs to be released. If they are hydraulic or a different brand it could be a totally different story.
desertdd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2017, 07:34 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1stMH View Post
Evening all,

Recently one of my jacks would not raise, I reset the contoller and started again?

What would I do in the situation where a jack would not raise. Can they be manually raised with a power drill/screw driver? If so what attachment would I need?

Coach is a 2005 Damon Daybreak.

Thanks,

Stephen
You'll probably get better information if you provide some specifics regarding the type, manufacturer and model of jacks you're asking about. Otherwise, we can only guess.
Old 05-31-2017, 03:20 PM   #4

I just had a hydraulic Power Gear jack that would not retract. Loosened the hydraulic hose, raised it with a shovel, tightened the hose and it is still in place. Will finish the repair when I get home.
JumboJet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2017, 03:39 PM   #5

That's great you got it sorted Jumbo,

My Jacks are power gear also, not automatic though.
Old 05-31-2017, 05:10 PM   #6

On HWH hydraulic jacks the solenoids have either a lever or 1/4" nut that can release the hyd pressure and allow the springs to retract the jack. Just close the lever or nut when retracted and before traveling.

Mike
mikelcan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2017, 05:30 PM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
Just FYI Big Foot Jacks with remote control have a switch on the side of the pump box that will operate the pump up or down.
Old 06-03-2017, 06:32 AM   #8

Thanks all, I need to read up the manual for mine and figure out what I need to so to retract them manually.

I don't have an issue now but one of my Jacks was a bit slow recently.
Old 06-03-2017, 07:01 AM   #9

Ford Super Duty Owner
Mine are Power Gear Hydraulic. These are my thoughts if I have a retract problem.

If only one is not retracting, its probably a problem with that jack. Twist /turn the shaft to see if its binding, pry it up. Possible bad solenoid for that jack. If it extends, then solenoid is probably OK. If other jacks retract, dump solenoid is OK. Last resort, remove the hydraulic line to see if perhaps a blockage in the line.

If none are retracting, its a problem with the dump valve. I could swap the solenoid with one of the leg solenoids to see if that was the problem. Last resort, I'd need to put a bucket under the pump/tank assembly to catch the hydraulic fluid and then either remove the dump valve or the individual lines.
Waiter21 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
class a, jacks, manual