Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-04-2013, 06:49 PM   #1

Rexhall Rexair Need new Tires

So so confused...sigh... Tires. Need I say more?

Wow..looked all through the general discussion in regards to tires, but you all must be BIG rigs as my tires are tiny in caparison: 235/85 R16, (It's a Rexhall Rexair 32' (Widebody) rig on a Ford chassis.)

I know this is a touchy issues as so many folks have so many opinions on tires, but talking with my local mechanical guru (Perfection Tires) they're recommending the following:

Hankook DynaPro HT RH12: Hankook DynaPro HT RH12 Tire Review & Rating

Or

Cooper Discoverer A/T3: Cooper Discoverer A/T3 Tire Review & Rating

With prices for 6 being just over $1000.00.

(Just found this one while searching, and thought I'd put this out here for your comments) Michelin XPS Rib: http://tirereviewsandmore.com/michel...ib-reviews.php

When I talked with an RV shop in Coeur d'Alene, he steered me away from (no pun intended) the Michelin tires as being too expensive (I agree) and trouble prone (although I haven't actually done any research on that).

So I'm trying not to break the bank (I know..why did I buy an RV) ;-)
And I also don't want to put my family or other drives on the road at risk by purchasing inferior tires, but somewhere there HAS to be a middle ground, right?

So I'm turning all you folks who have already helped me out considerable, being that I have a 'smaller-ish' rig, 32', and small tires, shouldn't there be something that I can trust and not have to pay $300 a tire for but is safe too?

Thanks in advance for the help!

Comments?
TriMoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-04-2013, 07:04 PM   #2

I run B.F. Goodrich 235/85R16, load range E tires on my dually. My thinking is, if the management at UPS think they are cost effective and reliable for their delivery trucks, they are good enough for my truck. I'm on the 2nd set for my 2002 dually 1T without any tire issues whatsoever.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 07:05 PM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
From positive experiences I am a Michelin XRV fan. In my area, and using the FMCA Michelin purchase program, there was not a substantial difference to other tire options when I bought another set a few months ago.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 06:35 AM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
On my previous, "smaller rig" MH, I ran Firestone Transforce HT tires in the same size you have. The MH had great performance with them. Another option for you to look at.

Fran
Rockwood27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 09:58 AM   #5

Thanks guys for the comments. I'm going to reply to each one below:

Ray, So your tires are on a 1Ton Pickup or an RV? I'm not sure this would be an apple to apple comparison.

vsheetz: So how can I "KNOW" what kind of discount I'm going to see before I pay my FMCA membership? I'm in the research phase of buying tires, and since it's winter here in Spokane, (It's snowing right now..very pretty) I'm not going to buy tires until the Spring, but want to know what it's going to cost before I put out money for another membership. (I was so nervous about my tires, that before we went to drive the RV home from Coeur d'Alene (about 30 miles) I bought a membership from CouchNet in case I had to be towed or got a flat!)

Rockwood27: That's good to know, I'll look into those too.

So I just FINALLY looked at all the manuals that came with the motorhome, and saw this tag about the chassis. Learned a lot.

Chassis was made in 8/96, so this is a 1997 right?
GVWR: 17000 LB - So this is the total amount of weight the motor home can carry. Guess I should get it weighed so I know how much it weighs before I put all the water and gas in, as well as camping equipment.

Front GAWR: 6000 LB - Now I understand why you want to weigh each 'corner' of an RV
Rear GAWR: 11000 LB
Tires: LT235/85R16E
Rims: 16x16K
At 552 kPa/ 80 PSI Cold (both front and rear)
** Had to look up what "kPa" meant, divide by 7 and you'll get the PSI. Now I feel smart!

One thing my local garage mechanic mentioned about the quote he gave me on the "Cooper Discoverer A/T3" tire was, that these are very common tires and can be found most anywhere in the nearby states. So if for example I had a blow out in Montana I would be able to match up the tire with the rest of them.

So, is that a valid point? Should I only be looking at the most common tires? Make sense I guess.

Again, thanks in advance for everyone's help. I love having this community to bounce things off, especially when I'm such a nubie.

TriMoot
Old 11-05-2013, 01:37 PM   #6

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Hi TriMoot and Welcome to the Forum.

Both the Hankook and Coopers are respectable brands. I have Toyo Open Country 16's on my older Ford Class A and they are smooth and quiet. Les Schwab carries them so they are available all over the western US.
Nick-B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 02:15 PM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Just a side note: the Coopers you referenced above are A/T tread (all terrain). You may want to get HT tread (highway tread) for your MH, unless your planning on many off-road excursions (not recommended!!). Your size callout gives you a 3,042 lb. rating for a single tire (reduced for dually position, but I don't have the value handy). Both your front and rear axle ratings will be pushing the limits of any E-rated tire of this size.

Fran
Rockwood27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 07:02 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
My last motorhome was a Rexhall RexAir 35' and I had the same tires on it that you do. I put new tires on it in 2012 (traded it in this year) and I had to go through 3 local shops before I could get all 2012 dated tires. My thoughts were that for Light Truck tires on a motorhome, I was going to replace them every 5 years because they are not as well built as heavy duty truck tires on the bigger motorhomes. I had a tag axle also so I need 8 tires. America's Tire was finally able to get me all 2012 dated tires. They had 2 shipped in from North Carolina. I put Michelins on but if I had to do it again, I would go with a cheaper tire since I was going to replace them every 5 years.
Wingman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 10:09 PM   #9

Trimoot I have a 1T dually that pulled a 15,500# 5er. Doesn't matter, the B.F. Goodrich are load range E. I bought them at Sears-installed. For me this meant I could have them serviced/replaced at any Sears tire store, although that occasion never arose. I've never had a flat, or any issue with B.F. Goodrich tires.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Old 11-06-2013, 12:56 PM   #10

When we bought our rig, it had the OEM Goodyears on it. Awful ride, noisy, and already 9 years old at the time! We've always had good experiences with Les Schwab, and their store in Anacortes is one of the best ones we've dealt with. We got a set of six Toyos, 245R/70-19.5 size for our 32' F53 rig. Without me even requesting it, the store manager searched the warehouse stock list and found 6 tires that were all the same manufacture date and just 6 weeks old.

The total price, out the door, was about $2300.
Old 11-06-2013, 08:41 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankdamp View Post
When we bought our rig, it had the OEM Goodyears on it. Awful ride, noisy, and already 9 years old at the time! We've always had good experiences with Les Schwab, and their store in Anacortes is one of the best ones we've dealt with. We got a set of six Toyos, 245R/70-19.5 size for our 32' F53 rig. Without me even requesting it, the store manager searched the warehouse stock list and found 6 tires that were all the same manufacture date and just 6 weeks old.

The total price, out the door, was about $2300.
He needs 16" tires.
Old 11-07-2013, 05:12 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockwood27 View Post
Just a side note: the Coopers you referenced above are A/T tread (all terrain). You may want to get HT tread (highway tread) for your MH, unless your planning on many off-road excursions (not recommended!!). Your size callout gives you a 3,042 lb. rating for a single tire (reduced for dually position, but I don't have the value handy). Both your front and rear axle ratings will be pushing the limits of any E-rated tire of this size.

Fran
Fran,
I think THAT's my biggest worry! (Pushing the limits). I sometimes stand back and look at the motorhome and those SKINNY looking tires up front and think, "OH MY GOSH! What if I have a blowout on the front?!!!" That is probably my biggest fear. And the tires do seem small for such a big rig....

So I guess that's why I'm polling everyone in hopes that I can gather enough information and make an intelligent decision without breaking the bank.

In regards to the tread, I asked my tire guy the same thing and he assured me they are very quite. And I am curious about your comment about going off road, as that's exactly what we like to do. We like (I think the term is) boondocking (?)....finding a spot by a river or lake and just parking and being self contained. Now to be clear, we did that when we had an older class C. I'm not sure how much I'll do that with this rig, but that's how we primarily camped in the past and was hoping to continue to do so now.

And in regards to the load rating and pushing limits, is there a different load rating I should be looking at instead of "E"? (Sorry to be so ignorant about this stuff, but I'm learning).

Great stuff guys, thanks to all for your input.
TriMoot
Old 11-07-2013, 06:01 PM   #13

Sailun 235/85R16 load range G tires come in different tread designs and are recommended for steer tires/all position on vehicles and/or trailers. You must have rims rated for those tires.

When I finally tired of tire failures on our 15,500# 5er, I bought these tires and never had a tire problem since.
Old 11-15-2013, 12:23 PM   #14

It's amazing what you 'don't' see sometimes.

So I FINALLY actually LOOKED at my tires and low and behold I have Michelin XPS RIB tires on them, and wow..they REALLY look bad! I mean serious cracks around the bead as well as all over the sidewalls. Interesting enough, the inside tires of the dully's look GREAT!

Was 'almost' considering taking the inside tires and putting them on the front (they look that good!) but...seeing all the comments on here about DOM and blow outs I thought better of it. (Most of you are say..DUH!)

So anywho...the search goes on, and yes, I'm 'considering' joining the FMCA club just for the tire discounts, but again, I wish I could 'know' how much that will save me specifically on my sized tires so I can make an educated decision without having to actually join 1st.

Does anyone know? Can I look on their site (I did) and get a quote before I actually join? I've already joined two clubs due to the RV...and since it's winter..not really wanting to shell out more money if I don't have to.

Thanks!
TriMoot.

Tags
tires