Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-08-2010, 06:29 PM   #1

Rexhall Rexair Slideout problem

Everyone here has been so helpful in the past and now I turn to you again. In August I bought a 2004 Rexhall Rexair 37' with two T-Rex full wall slides. Since purchasing it I have had an issue with the slides going out crocked and/or not retracting. I have had all of the hydraulic lines and fittings replaced and the problem appeared to be fixed. This weekend I noticed hydraulic fluid on the ground by the right front jack. I took it back to the shop that fixed it today and they said the line had bubbled and split at the fitting. They replaced it with no questions asked. While they had it I asked them to check all of the fittings again and to run the slides out and back in. The nightmare returned! The slide went out crocked and will not come back in. This time, however, there does not appear to be any sort of a leak. Does anyone have any idea what might be wrong and how I can get this fixed once and for all?

I look forward to your words of wisdom once again!!

Ron
ronyrhythm is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-08-2010, 08:17 PM   #2

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Sorry I can't be of help, but I was wondering, did you get this coach in Phoenix?
Vegasdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 11:01 AM   #3

Actually the original owner had it built at the Rexhall Factory in Lancaster, Ca and I bought it from him. It's an awesome coach if I can't just get the darm slide problem fixed!
Old 12-09-2010, 11:13 AM   #4

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Have the shop call Rexhall to see if their earlier full slides had a problem, their number is 800 929 5280.
cj5 jeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 05:33 PM   #5

Did that, but Rexhall only told them how to get them in manually. Took it to another RV repair shop and apparently they've seen this before with these large slides. Waiting to hear their diagnosos.
Old 07-31-2011, 01:09 PM   #6

Forest River Owners Club
HWH corp, the hydraulics maker tells me that you need to run the pump 3-5 seconds after it is fully retracted or extended. This 'equalizes the synchronizer cylinder that forces the rams wot work at the same speed; that is why you are getting a racking of the room. Don't stop half way out, don't reverse travel half way through a cvycle, equalize the synchronizer by that 3-5 second rule.
NeverGrowUp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 05:58 PM   #7

So once the slide is fully extended hold down the button for 3-5 seconds? Are you sure that won't screw something up? Where did you get this info? Honestly, anything to do with these slides makes me really nervous now!
Old 08-02-2011, 09:29 AM   #8

Forest River Owners Club
Slide problems

HWH corp has a GREAT web site with owner manuals and a series of issues/information. It is off THEIR site that I got the info of holding the extend or retract button. If you study the hydraulics (two ram system) you will see the synchronizer cylinder that keeps the rams synchronized. You can also see it under the coach parallel to the frame. Having learned hydraulics the 'wet' way, reading the instructions is a great substitute for 'experience'. If the pump doesn't always come on when you push the switch, maybe the problem is in the switch-been there, fixed that also.

IF you DO get the room RACKED by not synchronizing properly, (yes, did that) you will be kicking yourself for not doing the research - or following my advice.
Old 08-02-2011, 10:00 PM   #9

Many kinds of coaches, many kinds of slides. Rexhall has a reputation for having some of the most progressive engineered products. This included their Super Slides. So, when repair places make blanket statements about large slide having problems, you have to factor the 'not all coaches/slides are the same'.

I concur with the 3-5 second rule, what I've been instructed to do with our coach. I also had problems with our big slide, when I did not follow instructions and open a window or door, and tried to extend the slide. I was lucky, as a full retraction, then open a window, and I was able to do the full extension without problems. My racked slide, reset it self.

You might have a damaged slide rail, that is causing problems, and lots of pressure to your system.

Good advice to call the slide folks. I also would not be shy in calling Rexhall back again. They have a good rep for helping owners - give the another shot too.

I do not recall if I've ever seen a Rexhall User Group? Is one exists, jump on that board and search and or ask questions too.

Best of luck,
Smitty
Smitty77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 10:26 AM   #10

Guys, thanks for all of this info. As Smitty said Rexhall is known for some pretty progressive slides. My '04 RexAir has full wall slides on both sides. The passeneger side is the one that keeps screwing up. From what I can tell (and I'm not very mechanical) there is one main ram in the middle. There are two sets of huge (bicycle type) chains at each end of the slides. All three things must work together to make it extend and retract correctly. It's been to the factory several times and they feel certain it is now fixed. The slides have been in and out about 6 times since we picked it up and so far, so good. That doesn't mean I don't still hold my breath everytime I push the buttons! So the next trime I extend the slide I should continue to hold the button down for and addition 3-5 seconds once the room is completely out? I was always afraid that would put added pressure on the line and perhaps cause a leak.
I found the HWH website but no a FAQ page. I'll keep looking.

Thanks to everyone for all of your help!
Old 08-03-2011, 12:56 PM   #11

Forest River Owners Club
I've included part of the download from the HWH web site. You may want to look it up and verify that it is for more than just the resync procedure following repairs, but I bolded the part that fits the 3-5 second 'rule'.

MANUAL SET UP OR REPAIR
SYNCHRONIZING PROCEDURE
FOR ROOM EXTENSIONS
ML39247/MP65.0000
27SEP06
HWH CORPORATION
. . . . .
Extend and retract the room several times to make sure the room is moving fairly smooth. The only adjustment, if any, that may need to be made after replacing a room cylinder is the out stop adjustment for the room. When replacing a sync cylinder, no adjustment to the room should be necessary after the repair is complete.

One (1) inch or less of a racking motion is acceptable. Note: Due to weight differences in the room and manufacturing tolerances of the room and vehicle which HWH cannot control, it is possible to have differences in movement greater than 1 inch as long as the room extends and retracts fully and there is no damage to the mechanism, room or vehicle. Always hold the room control switch to the extend or retract position for several seconds after the room is fully extended or retracted
Old 08-04-2011, 10:34 AM   #12

Thank you so much. We are going at the end of August and I will try this new procedure. I love this site! So many helpful and knowledgable people!
Old 03-26-2018, 08:20 PM   #13

help with 1998 rehall aerbus xl slide 3650

Hello Everyone, i was wondering if anyone can give me some pointers on my slide i cant get it to go in or out. i have a HWH slide i can hear it click when i push the button inside the coach but doesnt move at all . Help
ljpatterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2018, 08:44 PM   #14

AZPETE here is a HWH tech and can help you out with some troubleshooting. I don't have his info to copy and paste here or I would. If you do a search about HWH you will find many posts with AZPetes info.

I called Chuck @ Stuarts Service 800-574-8626 when my hydraulics went bonkers. I got his info before AZPetes. Ended up being a shuttle valve. I had a whole different problem.

Thankfully the dealer we bought our used winnebago from told my husband about the 3 second rule. I am mechanically inclined and its been my experience not to over pressure hydraulics. So it was counter intuitive for me. HWH made/makes a very impressive system in my book. It is unique how it all works together slides and leveling system and considering my system is 14 years old it still works quite reliably given its age.