Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 09-10-2014, 07:05 PM   #1
Rexhall Roseair Suspension Lean

Hello all,
I have a 2000 38' Rexhall Roseair DP on a Spartan chassis that has a very noticeable lean to the right rear side. In searching through this site and the greater Internet, the possible causes were;

1) Failed leveling valve on rear
2) Failed leveling valve on opposite front
3) Failed airbag on right rear
4) Tweaked spring hanger

In addressing these issues, the leveling valve on the rear feeds a central air tank that then feeds both bags. Since the left rear bag is inflating, I don't think the rear leveling valve is the issue.

With the leveling valve on the opposite front, I've measured the front end several times and it sits level. In addition, the bags air up perfectly without any deformation, leans, etc.

As for the failed bag on the right rear, I removed the air supply, connected my own, and sure enough, the bag failed to inflate vertically (only horizontally by getting tight). Thinking this was the problem, I ordered a new air bag, finished installing it this evening.....and....I still have the lean.

Scratching my head I thought that perhaps the shock was binding and not allowing that side to rise. Using the hydraulic jacks, I raised the right rear, started the MH so the bags would inflate, and when they were full, retracted the jack. Still, the camper settled right back into it's leaning position.

I checked the spring hanger and that wasn't the issue either, both of them look identical with no damage. I also thought irregular loading could be the issue so I've emptied the water tanks, waste tanks, and anything significantly hefty on the inside.

I took it to a local reputable shop PRIOR to ordering the air bag for their opinion and they guessed at the rear leveling valve and wanted $120 to test it (a new valve is $60 on Amazon). Since the valve feeds a central tank I declined and brought the MH back home.

So, does anyone have any ideas?

As I sit here scratching my head, my only ideas are;

1) Replace the rear leveling valve (this seems like throwing money at the problem)
2) Disconnect the right rear shock and verify it's not binding
3) Verify with a truck shop that the "spring" cannot be the cause.

RexhallJames is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-10-2014, 07:34 PM   #2
Rexhall Owners Group
I thought that I had read somewhere that each airbag had its own leveling valve that could be adjusted if needed.....but not certain. Call Rexhall, they are based in Lancaster, Southern California. If not I will pull out my tech data this weekend and see what I can find.

Martin Picke'
1998 Rexhall Anthem 34' DP, Cummins ISB, Allison 5 speed, Spartan Chassis, 300 watts solar.
MartinP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2014, 06:30 AM   #3
Originally Posted by MartinP View Post
I thought that I had read somewhere that each airbag had its own leveling valve that could be adjusted if needed.....but not certain. Call Rexhall, they are based in Lancaster, Southern California. If not I will pull out my tech data this weekend and see what I can find.

If that were only the case, I'd be .

Unfortunately, the rear suspension on the Rexhall only has one leveling valve. This valve feeds an air tank which has lines running to each rear airbag.

My two "field" fixes are;
1) Place a shim under the right rear airbag which will raise it up
2) Place a limiting strap on the left rear side. This will simulate a greater weight on the left rear and force more air into the right rear.

Neither of these fixes will address the underlying cause, whatever that may be, and I'd rather use them only as a last resort.

As for Rexhall, they were able to give me part numbers but were not helpful at all in helping me diagnose the issue.
RexhallJames is offline   Reply With Quote