Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-09-2013, 03:53 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Question Rexhall with 4 speed??????????????????

I'm looking at a 2000 Rexhall Anthem 33' DP with 1 slide and 275 hp Cummins. The present owner says it has an Allison 4 speed transmission. Does that sound right on a 2000 year model? If it's true is 4th gear an overdrive? I asked about
an engine or exhaust brake and he said it has a retarder with a separate pedal.
Would that be a hydraulic retarder in the transmission? I am limited to 34' or less where I park at home and this one fits and I like the floor plan with the galley on the driver's side and dining table on the curbside. All my other questions were answered to my satisfaction. Also what does anyone know about an Onan 7.5k LP generator? Any good? I think there are some very experienced and knowledgeable people who participate in these discussions. Thanks for taking the time to help.................Jim
jwalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-09-2013, 05:06 PM   #2

No way that has a four speed Allison. I bet it is a Allison 3000 six speed. There is a metal tag on the drivers side of the transmission that will have the model number. Probably actually will say it is a 3060. The four speed was all gone by 1994. That engine does not have a Jake brake but most likely has an exhaust brake. The exhaust brakes had a foot pedal also. The transmission retarder is real expensive and I have only seen them on Foretravel. LP generators are OK but it is a pain to have to keep filling the separate propane tank. Flying J truck stops all have propane for RVs but they put their tank so it is always on the wrong side of the RV so you have to go into the RV pumps backwards. Sometimes propane is cheaper than diesel fuel. The oil in the generator never gets dirty like with diesel fuel
Mike Canter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 05:51 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
My previous motor home was a 1998 Newmar Country Star with a Cummins and Allison 4 speed. It also had a LP generator. Both ran fine, never had a problem. Mine was 3 with overdrive.
chuckftboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 05:58 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Rexhall with a 4 speed????????????????????

Mike - Thanks for the speedy reply. Like I said the unit is 1000 miles from where I live so it's phone and e-mail correspondence. I'll have the owner check the tag on the trans. The photos he sent show the trans shifter has a handle marked 1 thru 4, not a key-pad. Also good tip on the exhaust brake with a pedal. It seems like a big job to buy one of these rigs cross-country, but it fits, has low miles and is priced right. Thanks ................Jim
jwalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 06:15 PM   #5

Get the VIN and then call Rexhall who should be able to tell you what the original spec. was.
Algoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 06:16 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Rexhall is still in business. Why not contact them and see what they have to say Rexhall Contact Info
bdpreece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 06:27 PM   #7

I have a Rexhall RexAir 2004. If they held with their normal practice all the info except
the exhaust brake should be in the bedroom or hall closet. i also think it is a 3000 Allison trans 6speed. Mine has an exhaust brake with a switch on the dash to activate.
BDpreece is right , contact rexhall with the serial# (also in closet). They are very helpful. Good luck if you purchase.
Old 02-09-2013, 07:28 PM   #8

Freightliner Owners Club
The Allison AT 542 transmission was used in motorhomes, it is a 4 speed with a retarder, instead of an exhaust brake. This discussion is going on in the Cummins forum.. explaining the retarder.
http://www.irv2.com/forums/f123/retarder-150768.html

oh! okay
Hooligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 08:34 PM   #9

If it's got a lever, it's a 4 speed. Not entirely uncommon on the base models.Right around 2000 was the cutoff for a number of brands to drop the 4 speed...

Steve
Old 02-12-2013, 07:52 AM   #10

Rexhall Owners Group
I have a 1998 Rexhall DP with a Allison 4 Speed AT 542 Transmission. 4th gear is 1:1 ratio according to specs. Allison also produced a MT 642 4 speed with lock up torque convertor but I'm not sure how many of these found there way in to MH's. The AT 542/545 is not a bad tranny. The only draw back that I can see is the lack of a lock up torque convertor. As far as overdrive the rear axle ratio compensates for the lack of an overdrive. In other words the gearing is not close ratio. I do not tow a toad.

Martin
Old 02-12-2013, 08:35 AM   #11

I agree with contacting Rexhall or reading any info in the MH. I will just add one more possibility, the transmission could be an Allison 1000 or 2000 which had 5 speeds in 2000. My MH for that year is an Allison 1000, 5 speed and it works fine. BTW I have a lever for shifting not pushbuttons.
Cummins 6.7 ISB, Allison 2100 6 Speed
J Walker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 11:59 AM   #12

Rexhall Owners Group
Jim,

Thanks for that bit of info. I didn't know that the 1000 series came with a shift lever. Now, that makes more sense and will probably answer several other related posts.

Martin
Old 02-12-2013, 12:56 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartinP View Post
Jim,

Thanks for that bit of info. I didn't know that the 1000 series came with a shift lever. Now, that makes more sense and will probably answer several other related posts. Martin
FWIW, the W-series front engine chassis from Workhorse also used the Allison 1000 & 2000 series in both 5 & 6 speed configurations over the years and almost ALL of them have a column mounted shift lever. There was an optional PB selector, but almost none of the coach builders included it in their order specs. The PB selector WCC offered was not made by Allison, but it did "most" of the same functions. Ed
edgray is offline   Reply With Quote