Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-04-2014, 05:52 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJsfishin View Post
OP here,
Its an RV entry door,....their all the same, hinge on the right, latch on the left, and I pull the door open towards me.

The link I posted above, shows the part for the screen door that I ordered.
I think it has been determined that it is a RH door, and that's what I ordered.

If you're inside the MH and open the door to the outside....IOW, you push the door open...it swings to the front of the coach, which is a LEFT HAND swing.

The parts for a LH door will fit.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-04-2014, 11:05 AM   #30

Fleetwood Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
I can only add that this is one of the funniest threads that I have read in a while, and I am sorry that I read all the posts. Now I am totally confused myself, as I always thought I knew the answer.

Old 07-04-2014, 11:49 AM   #31

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
...... Amazing, we can get to the moon no problem, but we can't come up w/ a standard fpr handing a door!

There *is* a standard; for decades there *has been* a standard. Problem is that so many people thought it was "too hard" to understand. So they made up their own explanation that they *thought* made sense to them, but couldn't articulate it properly to others, thus leaving everyone confused. Very few people clearly understand what they're being told, because very few people can actually assemble a sentence properly.

It's very much like the way schools "teach" spelling to young kids: they don't. There is no "wrong" spelling, just an "alternative" spelling.

<< end rant >>
JFXG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2014, 08:55 PM   #32

Carolina Campers
RH or LH Entry Door ?

I ain't git'n it.... You'ns is to articulated for us hicks...

Just starting to rant...
Old 07-05-2014, 07:52 AM   #33

If nothing else, I think this thread has proven that there is no standard.
The 2nd PPL MH Parts link above clearly says that its a RH door.

Then a google diagram post above clearly shows that it would be a LH door, which I now believe is standard for all house doors.

Then commercial building entry doors mite be a whole nother story !

You can bet on one thing, I will post back when the part gets here in a couple days.
Old 07-05-2014, 08:38 AM   #34

Color me stupid but don't all rv entry doors swing in the same direction? I can't remember ever seeing an entry door on the drivers side and they always close to the rear for obvious reasons so why would a manufacturer build parts for a door that was never built?
Old 07-05-2014, 09:00 AM   #35

Carolina Campers
I would think the same parts are used for MH, Campers, Mobile Homes, Manufactured Homes, etc.
Old 07-05-2014, 09:01 AM   #36

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elf111 View Post
Color me stupid but don't all rv entry doors swing in the same direction? I can't remember ever seeing an entry door on the drivers side and they always close to the rear for obvious reasons so why would a manufacturer build parts for a door that was never built?
Look some more. Choaches with a door for the driver are left hand swing. Passinger side is right hand swing.
You will find that many horse trailers have doors on both sides along with some TTs. You will also find that on some TCs the door will be left hand, others right.
az bound is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014, 09:40 AM   #37

Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elf111 View Post
All the RVs I've seen in Australia and New Zealand, where they drive on the left side of the road, have entry doors on the left side of the RV. So manufacturers of door hardware do have an international market for RH hardware.
The hardware looks just like the style we see here.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014, 09:50 AM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by az bound View Post
Look some more. Coaches with a door for the driver are left hand swing. Passenger side is right hand swing.
lol, not so, grasshopper. The only door on my MH (passenger side) opens towards the front of the MH, so when exiting the MH (i.e. Pushing the door open), it swings to the Left.

My MH is a LH swing, and it's made in America
Old 07-05-2014, 09:53 AM   #39

Winnebago Owners Club
Just replaced all of the doors in the house. I was told facing the door from the outside the hinge side denotes LH/RH.

Ordered 14 doors (including closests) using that and all open like they are supposed to.

Just to be sure tell them what you want. "I was facing the door from the outside and it swung towards the ????. Let them figure out what to call it.
Old 07-05-2014, 11:26 AM   #40

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
RH or LH Entry Door ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Dewald View Post

Just to be sure tell them what you want. "I was facing the door from the outside and it swung towards the ????. Let them figure out what to call it.

But then the question arises, "What do you mean by 'outside', particularly with an interior application? This is the kind of thing I was referring to earlier. A door inside a residence can swing any way you want it to. An exterior, or "entry" door usually swings inward in residential uses, but is required by code to swing outward in commercial usage, largely because of the Cocoanut Grove fire in Boston in 1942. Google it.

That's why, as I posted earlier, you always try to state the standard clearly and unmistakably-- "when facing the door *from the side toward which the door swings*, if the hinge is mounted on the right it is a right-hand door." That way, unless you're ordering something highly non-standard, you don't have to figure out any other terminology. Inside, outside; inswing, outswing; forget it. "When facing the door *from the side toward which the door swings*....."
JFXG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014, 11:52 AM   #41

Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Dewald View Post
Just replaced all of the doors in the house. I was told facing the door from the outside the hinge side denotes LH/RH.

Ordered 14 doors (including closests) using that and all open like they are supposed to.

By your description, 'outside' and 'hinge side' terms are confusing. Looking at a Home Depot door selection PDF, I found a clearer description, but it does add a few more terms to the discussion.

This also disagrees with JFXG's explanation. Not saying he's wrong, just it disagrees.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014, 11:54 AM   #42

Quote:
This can't be that hard,....or can it ?
I need to order some door parts, but I need to know which hand door it is.
When I walk up to my entry door, the latch is on my left, and the hinges is on my right. Is it a RH, or a LH door ? Thanks for any info.
RJsfishin
As you have learned from the 40+ replies, (so far), there is no standard/official/universal definition of a RH, or a LH, door.

To end the madness , (and speculation ), I would either:
1.) Call the parts place and try to explain to them which door swing I need the parts for.
OR,
2.) Order the parts for both LH AND RH doors and return the parts that don't work on my door.

Mel
'96 Safari

Tags
door