Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-09-2014, 06:44 PM   #71

so, from the outside the hinge is right and the door is RH same as a home. it doesn't matter if the door is interior or exterior.

93 Southwind
2001 Saturn SC2 toad
mikeh2obury is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-09-2014, 06:59 PM   #72

Mike,

That's not the way the hand of a door is determined. Looking at a door from the outside, if the hinge is on the right and the door swings in, it is a right hand door, if it swings out toward you it is a left hand door. This is the way it's been done for over a hundred years. I built homes for twenty five years and marked hundreds of door for size and hand for the trim carpenter. This is the way it's done, commercial, residential, interior, or exterior door. I've never built a RV, but I bet they figure there door swings the same way.
Chuck48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 07:25 PM   #73

Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJsfishin View Post
If that was true, then remember to always order RH hardware for a LH door !

LOL

That is what I was thinking!
tedgard01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 08:19 PM   #74

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeh2obury View Post
so, from the outside the hinge is right and the door is RH same as a home. it doesn't matter if the door is interior or exterior.

93 Southwind
2001 Saturn SC2 toad

This is comical. We read numerous posts, and SEE #22 and #41...and some of us can't understand the basics. Kind of sad, when we think about it.

Bear in mind, guys, that the OP has not posted a single photo...so what's his point?
Old 07-09-2014, 09:03 PM   #75

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
RH or LH Entry Door ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bamaboy473 View Post
This is comical. We read numerous posts, and SEE #22 and #41...and some of us can't understand the basics. Kind of sad, when we think about it.
Sad, bamaboy? Its freakin hilarious! I've been cutting wood and hammering nails for pay since Richard Nixon was still in his first term, since before nail guns , since before there even WAS a DIY industry or any such a thing as a "Home Center". When I was taught the trade there were standards to learn and adhere to, and you didn't just go off and change them because it was too hard to remember or too confusing to figure out. Someone here said they'd been building houses for 25 years.... Hell, that only takes you back to 1989! What that means is that you guys have spent your whole careers dealing with dumbed-down standards invented by retailers for their customers, and silly back-yard tricks like park your ass next to the hinges and then check to see which hand is near the door. That's probably all anyone ever taught you.

And then the OP comes on and says yup, RH is what I ordered and RH is what fits, and all of a sudden its "oh wait a minute, I didn't know you were talking about a *screen* door". SERIOUSLY????

Sad? Hell no-- I'll be laughing for weeks over this one!

Quote:
Bear in mind, guys, that the OP has not posted a single photo...so what's his point?

ref posts 62, 63, 64.
2004 Element
JFXG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 06:20 AM   #76

Quote:

Whats my point ??

And I haven't posted any photos ??

And we talkin sad ?? Really now ?
RJsfishin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 06:28 AM   #77

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJsfishin View Post
Whats my point ??

And I haven't posted any photos ??

And we talkin sad ?? Really now ?
That latch looks like it's reversible and will fit either door swing. That's why it worked on your door. Proper description would have been "Universal Fit".
If you want to call your LH door a RH door, then so be it.
Old 07-10-2014, 06:57 AM   #78

Quote:
That latch looks like it's reversible and will fit either door swing. That's why it worked on your door. Proper description would have been "Universal Fit".
If you want to call your LH door a RH door, then so be it.
Sorry, the latch is NOT reversible for about 3 reasons, and,.... if it wad'nt such a pain, I post another photo showing the "RH" stamped into the plastic on the back side.

From this thread, I am convinced of 2 things,........
1- That in this piticular situation, w/ this piticular parts MFG, it is considered a RH door,....a no brainer really.

2- It appears that there is a standard in home doors, NOT SO in RVs.
Old 07-10-2014, 12:53 PM   #79

I give up!
Old 07-10-2014, 12:57 PM   #80

Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck48 View Post
I give up!
Answer not a fool according to his folly, lest thou also be like unto him.
—Proverbs 26:4 (King James version)

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 01:10 PM   #81

Tiffin Owners Club
It's a darn good thing that these doors can't swing 3 ways! Imagine the confusion then!
Old 07-10-2014, 01:16 PM   #82

Think we should put in revolving doors. Posters should read all the posts before commenting, the OP did post pictures, and there is no way to reverse that kind of handle. Again, look at that handle on Camping World's web site. They explain how to determine if it is a right or left hand "latch" not if it is a right or left hand door.
Old 07-10-2014, 03:22 PM   #83

Not to harp on a good/bad thing but I finally got around to actually changing the latch, and I see the "RH" is stamped into the plastic on the back side of the old one, same as the new one.
But, of course that doesn't prove its a RH door, but it sure tries to make me believe it is
Old 07-10-2014, 03:37 PM   #84

RJ,

I saw that same latch on Camping World web site, it is a right hand latch. It cannot be turned around and used on any door. They explain how to determine if it is a right hand or left hand latch. Standing inside the coach if the latch goes on the right side of the door it is a right hand latch. But believe me when I tell you you have a left hand door. Latch, door two different things.

Tags
door