Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-10-2014, 11:22 PM   #85

Carolina Campers
RH or LH Entry Door ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BFlinn181 View Post
Answer not a fool according to his folly, lest thou also be like unto him.
—Proverbs 26:4 (King James version)

Oh boy, what an interesting thread.... Bang him on the head with scripture. That always shows how "righteous" your argument is... LOL

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-10-2014, 11:43 PM   #86

Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by tedgard01 View Post
Oh boy, what an interesting thread.... Bang him on the head with scripture. That always shows how "righteous" your argument is... LOL
It wasn't suggested because righteous scripture, it's a nicer way of saying, "Never argue with a fool, for he may be doing the same thing." It was in response to a poster's frustration with all the 'experts.'

A lot of the arguments and comments in this thread have been because of a classic lack of standard vocabulary. A door is a door. How it's labeled and verbally described is the big issue. I'm surprised no international or national group hasn't put down rules for describing how a door and it's hardware is defined. I really doubt if commercial/home/RV are purposely identifying things differently, but I couldn't find any single definitive rule.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 12:48 AM   #87

Not trying to bang heads here, but in case you ever do doors in your home, just read these posts.

PUSH the door to open. if it pushes/swings to the Left, then it's a LH door. Vice versa.
Old 07-11-2014, 05:57 AM   #88

Very simple...but confusing. ..House doors go as follows....stand with your back to the door on the side that swings....now use your arm to replicate the door opening. ..very simple. ..right arm =RH, left arm = LT

Now the confusing part...storm/screen doors (also rv doors)....are just the opposite example. ..

Example. .... if you bought a LH entry door for your house...you would also buy a LH screen door....although they open in opposite directions. ..
Old 07-11-2014, 09:16 AM   #89

Ya'all don't know what sad is ! Let me tell ya what "sad" is,.......
If ya scroll down in the link below, which I posted way up above somewhere, and which is the original add that I ordered the part from, it plainly says how to determine which latch to order. Had I read that, I wouldn't ever have started this thread.
This kinda stuff has been happening more and more,.....can't be because I been in my 70's several years now ??
RV Screen Door Latch Right Hand Handle RH camper motorhome Travel Trailer | eBay
Old 07-11-2014, 02:19 PM   #90

Rj,

You got it now. That is the exact same explanation on Camping World web site. It is a right hand latch on a left hand door. Now let's open the right hand hand latch, go through our left hand door to our refrigerator and pop a cold one before the Norcold catches on fire and enjoy the day! Now we can argue about refrigerators.
Old 07-11-2014, 02:53 PM   #91

i think it's time to shoot this horse.

93 Southwind
2001 Saturn SC2 toad
Old 07-11-2014, 05:26 PM   #92

Bang, bang!
Old 07-12-2014, 07:37 AM   #93

Ok, its dead. Thanks chuck and all the rest that put time and thought into this. I will end w/ saying that as far as I can find, there is no handing an RV door. Trying to use house door standards for an RV, was the problem I believe. But at least it appears that the RV industry does have a standard of its own when it comes to door hardware.
The good part,....we all learned something new.
Thanks again.
Old 07-13-2014, 07:54 PM   #94

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJsfishin View Post
Ok, its dead. Thanks chuck and all the rest that put time and thought into this. I will end w/ saying that as far as I can find, there is no handing an RV door. Trying to use house door standards for an RV, was the problem I believe. But at least it appears that the RV industry does have a standard of its own when it comes to door hardware.
The good part,....we all learned something new.
Thanks again.
a. The seller's description was, RV- Screen Door Latch RH Right Hand - Please read the installation description below
As your standing inside your RV looking at the door, this would be the one for where your screen door handle/latch is on the right hand side as you view it.

b. The eBay seller's description is as wrong as his use of English..."your", instead of "you're". Makes you think, yes?

c. your need to be RIGHT is noted, but it shouldn't cause guys that want to know how to class doors to feel like they can't do it.

d. the OP asked a question, and then demanded that his opinion and knowledge gained from eBay was trump to whatever we had to offer. That's his personal choice.

e. what is real is post 22 and 41. For those that wonder, read those.

f. we can take comfort in knowing that most RV doors in the USA are LH door.
Old 07-13-2014, 08:03 PM   #95

Fact is this all changes based on which side of the street the vehicle is parked on
Old 07-13-2014, 08:28 PM   #96

Gulf Streamers Club
As I mentioned before, vocabulary has a lot to do with this confusion. In the U.S., RVs have doors on the RIGHT side of the vehicle. Maybe that's where they're getting this 'RH' nonsense. Every place else describes a door that opens out with hinges on the right side a LEFT handed door.

Bob & Donna
Old 07-13-2014, 09:13 PM   #97

This is my last post on this topic.

If you look at the #22 and 41 schematics, you'll see that it doesn't matter what side of a door you're on, it's what side swings when you push it open.

For those that will never do their own construction and will never have to order custom doors for a living, it doesn't matter.
Old 07-13-2014, 09:29 PM   #98

Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by bamaboy473 View Post
This is my last post on this topic.

If you look at the #22 and 41 schematics, you'll see that it doesn't matter what side of a door you're on, it's what side swings when you push it open.

For those that will never do their own construction and will never have to order custom doors for a living, it doesn't matter.
Bamaboy473, I posted #22 and #41. The confusion being made here is IT DOES MATTER in how you describe things. You can stand facing the door swinging out, face the door swinging towards you, stand with your back to the hinge with door swinging away or back to the hinge with door swinging in towards your shoulder. Interior or exterior doors shouldn't make a difference. As I said, seems like all the various ways to describe something as simple as a door is the issue. Add in the fact that the entrance door on an RV is a left hand door but it's on the right side of the vehicle and you put a few more confusing variables into the mix.

That's why I posted illustrations, it eliminates word confusion.

Bob & Donna

Tags
door