Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-29-2016, 08:16 PM   #29
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I think he was referring to Ralph Kramden the bus driver in the Honeymooners TV Series way back when.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Honeymooners
See My Pace Arrow Upgrades
JohnRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-29-2016, 09:02 PM   #30

Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I find a couple glasses of wine calms my front seat passenger's nerves.
Jake
gimblerotor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2016, 06:17 AM   #31

Winnebago Owners Club
In the short time we've had our MH my wife has developed the habit of occasionally going back to the bedroom either to nap or to just lie on the bed and listen to her ipod. I'd definitely prefer she stay strapped in in the passenger seat, but in the greater scheme of things it's just one more compromise between comfort/convenience and risk; the kind we make everyday.
affreeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2016, 07:10 AM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bnails52 View Post
While we are driving? Is it safe?
Bnails52
It is if the driver driver doesn't do it...(in my coach only passengers are allowed to ride in the back).
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2016, 08:31 AM   #33

Great idea, thank you
Bnails52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2016, 12:46 PM   #34

Phobia

I'm not a doctor but perhaps you should think about your husband......my wife is my travelling partner and is great at letting me know stuff , like "slow vehicle ahead" , "ok exit 219 is the next one " "want a bottle of water or sandwich " the list goes on and most importantly we have fun and share the great scenery.
The Flexsteel Co-Pilot chair is better then any other chair in most motor homes.
Maybe close the stair cover , tilt chair , put out leg rest , throw on your shades and relax......and help with a few of the items above....you might get into it and really enjoy yourself.
You don't have to stare out the window like a Doberman at the traffic and freak yourself out. Perhaps try up front for say, one hour per day...and go from there once you get comfortable. With all due respect i realize this is easy for me to say, if it does not eliminate your phobia at least you tried.

Best of luck and happy trails.
RIDER FAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2016, 05:31 PM   #35

Quote:
We just bought a 2005 fleetwood expidition class a deisel experience., i am a nervous passenger and i sit in the back of the coach on the couch. I am not wearing a seatbelt. Do any of you ever ride in the back instead of passenger seat. I ride in seat only when we are not in traffic. It really makes me nervous and i dont want to upset my husband. I am also wondering about how to get heat in the back of the coach. The front heaters do not get to the coach. Thanks in advance
Don't feel alone. When we bought our Class A 17 years ago, as we left the dealer and headed toward the first bridge, my wife FREAKED proclaiming "YOU"RE GOING TO HIT THAT BRIDGE AND KILL ALL OF US" as she ran to the rear of our MH!!!!

Today, 17 years later, she sleeps in the front passenger's seat but often has to fight our two dogs for who gets to sit there first.

As with most things in life, it all come with experience.
Just For Fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2016, 09:00 PM   #36

Quote:
Is it safe to run the heat while driving? I think it runs on propane
Yes!
Just For Fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2016, 11:15 AM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by okcnewbie View Post
Getting passed on both sides and seeing people fly by you going maybe 25-30 mph faster can make some people uncomfortable.
If you are getting passed on the RIGHT, you are doing it wrong! Please move over one lane to the Right, until there is no lane to the Right of you...problem solved

Quote:
Originally Posted by RIDER FAN View Post
I'm not a doctor but perhaps you should think about your husband......my wife is my travelling partner and is great at letting me know stuff , like "slow vehicle ahead" , "ok exit 219 is the next one " "want a bottle of water or sandwich " the list goes on and most importantly we have fun and share the great scenery.
The Flexsteel Co-Pilot chair is better then any other chair in most motor homes.
Maybe close the stair cover , tilt chair , put out leg rest , throw on your shades and relax......and help with a few of the items above....you might get into it and really enjoy yourself.
You don't have to stare out the window like a Doberman at the traffic and freak yourself out. Perhaps try up front for say, one hour per day...and go from there once you get comfortable. With all due respect i realize this is easy for me to say, if it does not eliminate your phobia at least you tried.

Best of luck and happy trails.
Great advice Rider Fan - and let me add one more thought: why don't YOU (Bnails52) take a spin behind the wheel?! Sometimes, after a person gets some pilot time they gain a perspective they did not have before. New to this? Great! Start out on a Sunday morning in a big EMPTY parking lot and let your DH guide you through some simple maneuvers and then (same quiet low/no traffic Sunday morning) head out on the widest road you can find and drive 10 or so miles. No need to overdo it...or if you are having fun now, keep on keep'n on!

NO WAY would you EVER consider driving the Coach? Please reconsider and take a look at the VERY cool (and VERY low pressure) driving schools offered at Escapees & FMCA rallies (to name 2). For a nominal fee, gentle and understanding experienced RV drivers (of both sexes) will gently guide you to competence...if you are going to be doing this pat, mostly or Fulltime it is an investment you will not regret.

Finally, why should *every* co-pilot know how to drive the rig and perform all the "outside" things your other half does? Picture this: you are 1,500 miles from home and your other half takes ill and the ONLY way you are getting home is to drive there yourself. Nuff Said

Hope this helps!
BamaBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2016, 11:18 AM   #38

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Short answer, "Don't". If you do, use seat belt, if ya' don't have any, have them installed.
VSPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2016, 11:26 AM   #39

Quote:
Is it safe to run the heat while driving? I think it runs on propane
Just so you know heaters using propane, suckered up propane like a milk shake in summer. Check in the cealing for a heater that can run on electric. You can run the generator while traveling. It might be cheeper.
two22penny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2016, 11:29 AM   #40

Forest River Owners Club
Talking Use of propane and generator while underway

I am seeing a lot of comments regarding RV owners running their generators, fridges and furnaces while underway. I'd be interested in what the RV manufacturers recommend, and what the laws in various locales require. Most RVers I know in Canada would not consider operating their propane appliances while they are on the road. In fact, I would guess the majority of us shut the propane off at the tank (unless we forget) before getting underway, and before doing that, we shut off the fridge and water heater so the system doesn't lose pressure. The thinking here is that in an accident there would not be multiple sources of potential leaks inside the coach.

On a technical level, would the airflow at 60 mph (100 mph) or higher cause any issues with the fridge and water heater burners? With the location of generators (and their exhaust pipes) typically being midship, would there be any concern about carbon monoxide being drawn into the coach?

If none of these practices are real dangers, and they are allowed by law, I would be happy to be able to use my appliances and generator while on the road.
Old 11-02-2016, 11:30 AM   #41

Fleetwood Owners Club
On All of our Class A s that we have had, the seat belts were on the couch and when folded up, were to short to really be useful so I added extensions onto them and they work great for my wife who rides there.
Old 11-02-2016, 11:39 AM   #42

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by ricardocana View Post
....I am seeing a lot of comments regarding RV owners running their generators, fridges and furnaces while underway..... .
If you were farther south you would know as we do that it is a "must" to run the generator when it's really hot out. Unless you have a Prevost and bus air running off the alternators there is no other way to have coach AC than to run the generators. Many or most of us in the south have been doing this for years with no problems at all. It actually probably keeps our gensets in better than average shape.
okcnewbie is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
motorhome