Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-08-2016, 10:02 AM   #99

If you don't have a plan as to where to stay , Try Manatee Hammock in Titusville. It's owned by the city. It has a long pier for fishing into the Indian river. If you have Pasport America you can stay for half price, you just can't use it if you make reservations. You have to just show up. Call ahead we love staying there.
two22penny is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-10-2016, 12:31 AM   #100

Red face Riding in front

I find this thread strange. When I was a kid we tried hard to get to sit 'up front' so we could look out the windshield while riding in buses and street cars.
I also find it strange that people will ride unbuckled in the living area of a coach. All states have laws that people must be buckled in if a seat belt is available.
If you saw what an RV looks like after a crash, you wouldn't ride unbuckled.
Old 11-10-2016, 06:24 AM   #101

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger C H View Post
I find this thread strange. When I was a kid .......
When I was a kid no one buckled up and some even road on the back shelf. 99.9% of us made it just fine.

Your advice to always buckle up is definitely the best advice I just understand why some of us ignore that rule sometimes or maybe even often.

I suspect statistically that "my" passengers are more likely to be in an accident when not in my MH. Never had a ticket or accident in 35 years. (knock on wood)
okcnewbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2016, 08:39 AM   #102

Retired Fire Service RVer's
Riding in back of motorhome

My daughter has the same issue as you, very nervous in the passenger seat. She was much better when she realized the seat swivels and she could turn to the side. Also, the sofa and dinette should have a few seatbelts attached which means it is safe to sit in those spots.
Concerning the heat issue, my wife would actually sleep in the rear bed while I drove . We normally rode with the main furnace heating the entire coach and never had an issue.
Njwandrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2016, 10:19 AM   #103

I never looked to see if dinette has seat belts, I will take a look, but the couch has them and I do use them now. Thanks you for responding
Bnails52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2016, 10:28 AM   #104

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger C H View Post
I find this thread strange. When I was a kid we tried hard to get to sit 'up front' so we could look out the windshield while riding in buses and street cars.
I also find it strange that people will ride unbuckled in the living area of a coach. All states have laws that people must be buckled in if a seat belt is available.
If you saw what an RV looks like after a crash, you wouldn't ride unbuckled.
Hi, I had experience first hand with very bad accidents, one fatal and one very bad, but thankfully not fatal. Since then I am really scared as a passenger when I am in heavy trraffic. It might seem silly to you, but I can't help it. I only go in back during heavy traffic, and I have found the seatbelts, this is a new motorhome for us and this was our maiden voyage, I am sure I will get etter as time goes along. One person suggested trying drama mine non drowsy, and he said it relaxes you, I MIGHT GIVE IT A TRY.
Bnails52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2016, 07:17 AM   #105

I learned many years ago on ski trips that some people like the front and some really hate it. You can stick the "likes" in the back and they will get over it but the "hates" will be really upset and not get over it. Much easier to let folks be where they like it. Many people who feel both ways.
nothermark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2016, 11:33 PM   #106

Vintage RV Owners Club
I remember a trip many years ago when I worked for Coachmen Industries. The Georgia sales team was required to attend the company Christmas party in central Florida. I was given the responsibility of driving the group to the host hotel in a prototype 36 foot Class A. I ended up always being the designated driver. The coach was a one off unit that was built to send to shows to gauge potential buyer interest in new designs. At the end of the model year these units would be discounted and sold as demonstrators. The motorhome was delivered to the dealership that morning and I was not given the opportunity to check the unit out before the trip. At the end of the workday the entire group and their spouses loaded up and we headed south on I-75. No matter how much effort I made to attempt to keep the unit stable, making slow steady corrections, the unit swayed back and forth like a dog wagging its tail. It was windy which did not help the situation. In the mean time the party had already started along with a high stakes poker game in the dinette. I reported the issue to the Sales Manager, however he insisted that in the interest of time we push on. By the time we arrived just about everyone riding in the coach was suffering from motion sickness. Many riders had migrated to the front of the unit trying to get away from the swaying rear. Most of them had a moderate amount of alcohol on board which did not help the situation. The next morning I got up early to go fuel the unit. While out I stopped at the central Florida office and checked the air pressure in the tires. All of the tires were low, and one tire on the rear was flat. Needless to say the coach handled much better on the return trip. Of course most riders were hung-over, so they did not enjoy the ride back home much either.
gcsprayjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2016, 10:41 AM   #107

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Very well put!
JimJan52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2016, 10:36 PM   #108

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAPTOR555 View Post
First, it is a requirement in every state that all persons in a motor home wear seat belts when it is in motion. If one of us decides to sleep in the rear bed while in motion, we get undert thr sheet or blanket and tuck it in all around and use a tie-down strap placed from the left side of the bed, under the bed, up the right side of the bed and fastened over the person in the bed across their chest. This still isn't legal but it will give maximum protection for the sleeper. If you're sitting in a rear chair fastened to the floor you can get a seat belt kit to install at almost any auto parts store or RV dealer. Please do these things for your safety while moving or you'll be playing Russion Roulette with your safety and life.
In Illinois, only the two front seats are required to wear safety belts. Not saying it is smart, just the law. Before you start arguing. I am paid to know these things. Not a guess.
big willie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2016, 11:47 AM   #109

National RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by big willie View Post
In Illinois, only the two front seats are required to wear safety belts. Not saying it is smart, just the law. Before you start arguing. I am paid to know these things. Not a guess.
Indian is front seats and under 11. Adults are not require to wear seat belts unless they are in the front seats.
jaywolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2016, 12:37 PM   #110

Vintage RV Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Going back to the original poster...not sure it would help, but maybe watching a video from the passenger seat perspective would help (ie: if your afraid of spiders start with looking at pictures of them)?

I'm picking up my bus thursday to bring it home and prep for a trip, I'll record one (I'm curious as to what it's like because I've never sat there).
dmurdock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2016, 06:49 PM   #111

sounds like you are working your way though it, I think you are on the right path to beating this, one step at a time. I think you mentioned early in the post that you had similar "feelings" in normal cars and that it is not just the RV. I think a few short trips on Sunday morning down the turn pike and back would be helpful and keep pushing the minutes in the front seat. At least you know you can retreat to a comfortable and safe place when you need to. Good Luck
2015 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited(his)
bamaspiveys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2016, 05:08 PM   #112

It took my wife quite a while to feel comfortable when riding in the RV during heavy traffic. Actually, I'm not sure she's "comfortable" even yet, but she copes much better now. I'm glad because her assistance as co-pilot is invaluable. The truth is, she is actually much safer when she's up front helping navigate than when she's buried in the blankets at the rear of the RV. It's something you should at least consider.

I've always run appliances while driving if necessary... it's not something that worries me at all. The fridge never gets shut off.

Seat belts... always a good idea, but I don't demand people use them when they are with us. I do like for my wife and kids to wear them.

What I don't like is when people try to stand up and walk around the RV when we're on the road. It's one thing to take a chance if you're on the open highway... but in town or in traffic... no no no.

-cheers
Piker is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
motorhome