Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-27-2016, 11:17 AM   #1

Riding in the back of motorhome

We just bought a 2005 fleetwood expidition class a deisel, i am a nervous passenger and i sit in the back of the coach on the couch. I am not wearing a seatbelt. Do any of you ever ride in the back instead of passenger seat. I ride in seat only when we are not in traffic. It really makes me nervous and i dont want to upset my husband. I am also wondering about how to get heat in the back of the coach. The front heaters do not get to the coach. Thanks in advance
Bnails52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-27-2016, 11:27 AM   #2

Check down inside or below the couch for seat-belts, as my Adventurer has seat belts for the couch, and my wife sometimes sits there while traveling. I personally feel the front gives you a great view.
But this is just me. have fun and great travels
Pacakazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2016, 11:32 AM   #3

FWIW the only thing that concerns me is the seat belt. Are you sure they are not tucked down under the couch? I ask because a lot of units have them.

I have heard of your type of concern. It usually is why folks do not want a DP or an A depending on whether the issue is the big window or the front foot well.
nothermark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2016, 11:36 AM   #4

I looked they have them, i will be using them, thank you
Old 10-27-2016, 11:38 AM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
For heat I run the generator and heat pumps. I would think you could run the furnace too, without the generator.
ga80486 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2016, 11:38 AM   #6

Im even like this in a car, i am ok on open roads with little traffic, just not good in cities, or heavy traffic.
Thank you about seat belts, i will be using them
Old 10-27-2016, 11:40 AM   #7

Is it safe to run the heat while driving? I think it runs on propane
Old 10-27-2016, 11:46 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
If it was just me I would probably use a heated blanket while on the road.

I run the fridge on propane and just turn it off prior to getting to the gas station.

I suspect others run the furnace on the road. I would feel free using it out on the open road to take the chill off.
okcnewbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2016, 12:03 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
It's all designed to be used, so use whatever combination you like !!!!

heat, cold, rooftop, basement, dash, whatever
Old 10-27-2016, 12:05 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bnails52 View Post
We just bought a 2005 fleetwood expidition class a deisel, i am a nervous passenger and i sit in the back of the coach on the couch. I am not wearing a seatbelt. Do any of you ever ride in the back instead of passenger seat. I ride in seat only when we are not in traffic. It really makes me nervous and i dont want to upset my husband. I am also wondering about how to get heat in the back of the coach. The front heaters do not get to the coach. Thanks in advance
Bnails52
When traveling in cold weather we run the dash heater.
If/when the dash heater alone can't maintain the interior of the coach at a comfortable temperature we also run the propane furnace.

I can't help you with the fear of riding in the passenger seat.
Sorry.

Mel
'96 Safari, 148k miles
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2016, 12:11 PM   #11
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bnails52 View Post
I looked they have them, i will be using them, thank you
Seat belts are not designed to be worn sideways, try to overcome your concerns and ride in the front and enjoy the trip.
See My Pace Arrow Upgrades
JohnRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2016, 12:25 PM   #12

Granted the feeling in the front of a DP is a little disarming at first (I've only test driven, don't own one), but you probably just need to sit it out and get accustomed to it. Better yet, do some of the driving. No sense in leaving your spouse alone in the cockpit. Share the view, share the conversation, share the fate

With regard to heat, if necessary, we run portable electric heaters while underway.
Old 10-27-2016, 12:41 PM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Bnails52,

As you can see from the posts above...you are not alone. For a licensed driver, being up in the front passenger seat of a Class A, without your own brake pedal can be a bit stressful.

Going back to the salon can help the passenger (dinette facing forward to avoid motion sickness is best), but depending on the driver's situation (like familiarity with route)...navigation assistance by the passenger can still be something helpful.

Seatbelt use is typically "expected."

Unless you are comfortable, wrapped in a blanket...turn on the furnace. You'll want the coach warm at your destination anyway, so why not warm it up while driving there. Same thing applies to summer travel. No dash aircon I have ever seen works much behind the front seats...typically requires running the generator.

Safe travels
Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (USCG Ret), Outlaw #1193
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2016, 01:05 PM   #14

I hope you'll give sitting in the passenger seat more trys. It's an awesome place to view the country and you can help the driver by noting Exit signs, slow moving traffic ahead, etc. It would be helpful if you help navigating by reading maps, the GPS, looking up fuel stations and campgrounds. Sitting in the rear would not be enjoyable to me.

If you can read while riding, perhaps read books so you don't have to look outside but again.... that's not the way to travel in a motorhome with the scenery before you.

Some people are more comfortable if they drive rather than being a passenger. Drive and you'll be in control. Begin on an interstate away from big cities. Pull into a rest area and switch drivers and pull into the next rest area to exchange again. I would bet this would make you feel better.

We both took turns driving daily along with hooking up and disconnecting the towed vehicle and doing the dump procedures. It gives the other passenger a chance for viewing. There are many women out there who drive. It's not a big deal if you do it regularly. You get very comfortable with it. Besides, there may be an issue where you would have to drive - sickness, injury, etc.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
motorhome