Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 10-25-2012, 07:36 PM   #15
Don't panic just yet, you still have a couple of days to watch things develop. According to the latest NOAA storm track it is due to make landfall around 2:00 PM Tuesday 10/30 some where between Philadelphia and New York City with 80 to 100 MPH winds at the coast. Norfolk should receive 30 to 50 MPH winds with rain and some flooding starting Sunday 10/28.

lllkrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-25-2012, 08:02 PM   #16
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
If the wheels will roll, get the H out of there. As a minimum, get your body out of there.

If you wait too long to leave, you will not have an option. The roads will be grid locked and little to no fuel available.

Personally, I'd wait and see until Saturday PM or Sunday AM.

Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|Full-Time! - 2012 6.7L Ford Crew Cab Dually -2013 HitchHiker Champagne 38RLRSB - Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 08:23 PM   #17
A couple hours west should give you some elevation & distance from the coast.
ARTWERKE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 10:02 PM   #18
I wouldn't risk something serious....or if nothing else, damage to your coach. The beautiful part about a motorhome is it has wheels....it'll go anywhere you point it, and you have more than enough to wait out the storm in total comfort.
36ft Damon Intruder Class A - 37ft National Sea Breeze LX Class A
-Past RVs: 19ft Sportsman, 24ft Jayco, 30ft Coachmen Mirada. We had some good times.
"Im a car guy...you've been warned" lol
Jon Mopar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 07:50 AM   #19

Fleetwood Owners Club
Go west young man!!
Clay & Pebble.. Miss Butter our sweet Goldie (Jan. 2005-Jan. 2015) Sissy our Border Collie
2012 Providence 42 M. Spartan Chassis, 450 ISL
Ford Edge toad, RM All Terrane, TST TPMS, SMI Air Force One, RVM95....
Clayobx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 08:56 AM   #20

Texas Boomers Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Get out of there with everything you can. If you can take your coach, bring it back later for repairs, do it!

GO! Better Safe than Sorry!
Kent - '03 Fleetwood Storm Ford F-53 V-10
With Susie (Lhasa); Angie (Shorkie) Ferbie (ShihTzu)
In Memoriam: Katie, Spencer and Zoey
Lincolnboy2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 09:08 AM   #21
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I live in the Galveston, County area of Texas, Texas City Proper. Here is my experience.

Evacuated for Rita. Got to late of a start, 150 miles in 15-1/2 hours. Rita followed us and we were caught in a Cat-1.

Evacuated for Ike. Left in time and 100 miles later we were parked. Ike followed us and we were caught up in a Cat-1 again.

Fortunately both Cat-1's, even though still Category-1's, had the lower end of the wind spectrum by the time they reached us.

In both cases we were spared, but many around us were not. Debris was the most cause, flying around. A tree right next to us was cracked at the base. this tree was 12 feet from the front of the MH. The car was parked between the tree and the front of the MH. It fell opposite of our vehicles. Had it decided to fall the other way, car and MH would have been damaged severely. Funny thing, all the other trees in the CG fell the opposite direction. Thank you again Lord.

We lost power on the second occasion. Ran the Generator for 4 days. Stupidly I had not topped the fuel tank off so we had to find someplace to fuel up or the generator would shut off in another 12 hours. One hundred miles later we found a station with power and had fuel. I was running on fumes when we pulled in.

It is absolutely a frightening experience to say the least. If you can, evacuate. I doubt Spartan will be open during the landing, and if power is lost it could be a couple days. If you are unable to move the MH, there are more things important that the MH - Life.

Good luck in your decisions.

p.s., when people ask me now where to go during a hurricane evacuation, I tell them to watch where I go and go in the opposite direction. Safer.
Wayne MSGT USMC (Ret) & Earlene (CinCHouse)
2008 Winnebago Destination 39W
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 09:09 AM   #22
Fleetwood Owners Club

You don't want the MH in 100 plus MPH winds.
Mine did make it trough Wilma with 70 MPH winds with damage to patio awning, one ripped off bedroom awning, two max covers on roof and one vent cover under where the max cover was.

I wasn't in it. I went to a friends house.

If they don't have your MH fixed by this evening when they close for the weekend.

Hook your toad up to it and make a trip west to at least the KY. area.
Then next Wed. call and make another appointment with them for after they get the electric restored.
99 Discovery 34Q ISB
2014 MKS AWD EcoBoost Toad
Fulltime Since "99"
Triker56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 09:37 AM   #23
Why would you stay? If you do put a toe tag on so we can identify you. In 1969 my uncle stayed in LA during Camille and he almost died, 2 of his 3 daughters did. Is it really worth staying? Pack up drive inland and go back when its over. Nothing is worth losing your MH or your life. I have been in and seen what 100 mph winds can do. Not pretty.
2017 Grand Design Reflection 303 RLS
1997 GMC Sierra 3500 Dually
Go Dawgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 09:47 AM   #24

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Not to scare you, but depending on the terrain around you, you should leave...
you've gotten great advice thus far....
fill up everything (and empty the other things) today, before the rush...

Batten down everything else in preparation for the move and watch the weather...

Even if you it turns out your locale doesn't have issues with
the wind,
or the storm surge,
or the related storms spun off by a big hurricane,
just the massive amounts of rain in a short period WILL inundate ANY river, stream, and many neighborhoods -
why I've never have built a house on River Road or some name like that

can't tell you the number of Hurricane parties that ended up not being much of a party... I was in college and went to pass christian Miss staying at a camp on bay st louis when a large hurricane (Camille in 69?) headed there and I got out the morning it hit..
the hwy 90 bridge I crossed that morning was on the national news that night with TREES piled 20 feet high on it...
See - over 40 years later I remember that !
If you really are sad and think nobody cares, just try missing a few payments ! '11 Monaco Diplomat 43DFT RR10R pushed by a Demco Excali-Bar II hitch which is pushed by a '14 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport.
JohnBoyToo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 12:59 PM   #25
After being in many hurricanes my advice would be to wait until Sunday and see where it's going to land. If you are in that area go about 30 -50 miles inland to a Wal-Mart and park on the west side of it. A cat-1 isn't too bad but a tornado could do some real damage. Good luck.
Bill & Linda. If it doesn't move and should, WD-40 it. If it moves and shouldn't, duct tape it. F-350 dually, 40' Sunnybrook Titan toy hauler and custom Harley
MRBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 01:22 PM   #26
Thor Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Carolina Campers
Move if you can, now!!!!!
2016 THOR Tuscany XTE 36MQ
2011 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited
tcopeland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 06:30 PM   #27
Country Coach Owners Club
It boils down to this. Your motor home is a thing that can be replaced. You are a person and can not be replaced. Don't let your things put your life in jeopardy. Leave if you can get you MH to a safe area do it if not hit the road in your toad and wait some place safe. We're over in Chapel Hill. 3 days ago we were on Asseteague Island 3 days (the one with the wild horses) A good part of that will be under 3-4' of water.
Here's the best site for information on the storm. National Hurricane Center
good luck and use your head
pumper9x9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 06:36 AM   #28
Newmar Owners Club
Hurricane update

Thanks for all of your input. We left on Friday morning and are now in Selma NC and away from the hurricane. The coach has a ground wire issue somewhere in the thousands of feet of wiring. Replaced a bad air pressure sensor and the air/fuel/battery gauge. Problems still persist. All of these gages are about 30% below where they should be resulting in an ocasional warning light/buzzer. The air tested out (direct in line) at 120 per compressor and I have filled the fuel tank and will keep it toped off every 300 miles. As long as the air tanks are purging I know that I have proper pressure. I may hook up a volt meter to the chasis electronics. I will set up a ground wire to the chasis come in through the side window, pull the gauge cluster and by-pass the ground wires. I will disconnect any after market additions (CB etc) and spend some time in the fuse box. I was able to negotiate the $1400 dollar bill down to $500 by agreeing to pay the tech's actual hourly pay vs the $120 the facility wanted and the parts actually not performing. Blah-blah-blah. Have any of you had similar ground issues. I know it is a long shot but I shudder to think of the expense of a shop finding the problem.

tnsteele is offline   Reply With Quote