Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-14-2012, 11:02 AM   #1

Rig broken into, door locks drilled out!

Winne Brave 32V 2003.
Went to pick up rig at storage and found that it had been broken into. Only stole the GPS, a flashlight and some personal items, but to get in they drilled right through the entry door locks, so they are now toast! Also pried open one of the storage doors and ruined that lock. No other damage, 2 others got hit also. Insurance is covering, so this is really just a warning about how vunerable those locks are. I'm going to see if a locksmith can fit a more rugged lock. Anyone been this route?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-14-2012, 11:07 AM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Locks only keep honest people honest! The crooks are going to get in anyway. This was told me by the guy I purchased my safe from. Made sense!

burfurd.

Old 05-14-2012, 11:12 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by burfurd View Post
Locks only keep honest people honest! The crooks are going to get in anyway. This was told me by the guy I purchased my safe from. Made sense!

burfurd.
Agreed. And the next crook will just punch out a window.

Visit my RV Travel & Repair Blog at : http://chaos.goblinbox.com
Jim_HiTek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 11:14 AM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by neil30076 View Post
Winne Brave 32V 2003.
Went to pick up rig at storage and found that it had been broken into. Only stole the GPS, a flashlight and some personal items, but to get in they drilled right through the entry door locks, so they are now toast! Also pried open one of the storage doors and ruined that lock. No other damage, 2 others got hit also. Insurance is covering, so this is really just a warning about how vunerable those locks are. I'm going to see if a locksmith can fit a more rugged lock. Anyone been this route?
I truly sympathize with you, and wish you well getting back on your feet. While NO ONE should live in fear of something bad happening to them, never underestimate the criminal element. If they had time to drill locks from your coach two others, who knows what else they could have/may have been done. Always consider the possibility that if you foritfy the locks or door itself, if there is a next time (hopefully not), they may just pick a window. Kind of like the argument about locking gas caps/doors, and the determined gas thief drilling the tank instead. More $$$ from you in the end. I HOPE THEY GET CAUGHT!!!
DeWat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 11:15 AM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
So sorry to hear about your problems. That is a big consideration when finding a storage lot - security cameras and fire control systems. In any case, I would not worry a whole lot about buying stronger locks. If anyone wants to get in, they will. I would rather they drill the door locks out than to smash the door or break windows. I would spend my money on a theft system of camera and siren. I have a "dummy" system on mine that has a blinking light inside by the door and a back window like you see in some cars. Then I have battery operated cameras normally used for hunting posted outside the coach and high enough it takes me a ladder to reach. I am also going to put a motion light in place of the front door light next week. These coaches are just too vulnerable in a whole lot of ways and thieves know that.
Melmoses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 11:21 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
If you make the locks too strong, the crooks will just destroy more to gain enterance.

Ken
Old 05-14-2012, 11:38 AM   #7

Agree on the locks, i plan to install an alarm system - and the storage location has moved me to a much more secure location, under their lights and cameras.
Old 05-14-2012, 11:41 AM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Sorry this happened and welcome to the forum. I think the best money we can spend is on good insurance. As others have said, a determined thief will get in regardless.

SarahW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 11:42 AM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Sorry to hear of your break in. The sad part is they usually do more $ value damage then the cost of the items taken. Like others have said, the stronger the locks, probably the more damage.
Old 05-14-2012, 11:44 AM   #10

I put a cheap alarm system on mine.A cheaper fix is to get a fake alarm key pad to put on the outside near the door and some alarm stickers and hopefully the put enough doubt in their minds and move on to another.
Old 05-14-2012, 02:03 PM   #11

When my RV is in storage, I remove all valuables and leave everything unlocked. I installed a cheap, loud alarm system though. I have a similar problem with the Wrangler too because of the softtop. I just leave everything unlocked otherwise they'll just tear through the fabric.

On the road, I lock everything whether we're in the coach or while we're away, but we usually pick parks with lots of activity and try to settle in with everyone else.

Keith
Old 05-14-2012, 02:10 PM   #12

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Ford Super Duty Owner
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by burfurd View Post

burfurd.

Exactly right. A buddy of mine had a BMW convertible. We went to a concert together in it. When we got out I said: "Aren't you going to put the top up and lock the doors?" He said: "No. If someone wants my radio, they'll cut my top or bust my windows to get it. I'd just rather they take the radio."

Makes a lot of sense.
Ramblin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 02:13 PM   #13

Better storage lot?

Instead of investing in better locks I'd invest in another storage lot.
micd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 02:15 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXiceman View Post
If you make the locks too strong, the crooks will just destroy more to gain enterance.
Yep. Even if you could install drill-proof lock cylinders, then, the battery powered drill goes away and out comes the old fashioned pry bar.

While I sympathize with the OP's predicament, I am astounded the crooks took the time to drill out the locks. Franky, if such a break-in has to happen, that is the cleanest way to break in. Minimal collateral damage. Somehow I am picturing some snotty teenagers borrowing dad's DeWalt battery drill and having at it for so-called thrills.

Usually you hear of these break-ins (storage or dealer lots) using pry bars and simply ripping the door jambs out. Though no break-in is a pretty sight, the pry bar approach is brutal.

Tags
door