Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-27-2014, 07:57 PM   #15

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by glemo81540 View Post
A further question. Should you weigh with or without toad attached or will either give the same result?
As long as you don't pull the toad onto the weigh platform with the rear axle, the difference with/without is negligible.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-27-2014, 08:09 PM   #16

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Blue Beacon usually have certified scales, they have multiple platforms to get individual axle weights. Roll down your window and speak to the attendant that you would like to get your corner weights, pull back around and pull on with one side off the scale and reweigh. Subtract the single weight from the total and you get your side weights. I think it costs me $12 total.

jeryan59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 08:48 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickO View Post
Getting four corner weights is a bit tougher.

I had mine done at an RV specialty shop in Grant's Pass, Oregon. I've read that many get it done while attending rallies but I don't know of any "standard" type of outlets which offer this service.

Be careful trying to get four corner weights on the segmented truck scales. The scales are often elevated a bit which results in the coach being tilted when only one wheel is on the scale... yielding inaccurate results.

Rick
The place in Grants Pass, Oregon is Henderson's Lineup. I was there a couple weeks ago, and had the four corner weighing as part of their Road Performance Assessment. It's nice to know my side to side weight is well balanced, and the front to back weight ratio is "ok". I had some suspension additions done to improve handling. They really know motorhomes, and have everything in stock.

Ken
Old 05-27-2014, 08:55 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeryan59 View Post
Blue Beacon usually have certified scales, they have multiple platforms to get individual axle weights. Roll down your window and speak to the attendant that you would like to get your corner weights, pull back around and pull on with one side off the scale and reweigh. Subtract the single weight from the total and you get your side weights. I think it costs me $12 total.
This can work only if the shoulder of the scale is at the same level as the scale. A cheaper and more accurate way is to call the State Patrol and tell them you would like a four point or six point weigh. They came to my home and did two weighs for me at no charge. He told me it was my tax dollars at work. He was glad to help me assure the weights were safe and legal. Most State Patrols will do this as a public service.
Old 05-27-2014, 09:07 PM   #19
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camper Ken View Post
The place in Grants Pass, Oregon is Henderson's Lineup. I was there a couple weeks ago, and had the four corner weighing as part of their Road Performance Assessment. It's nice to know my side to side weight is well balanced, and the front to back weight ratio is "ok". I had some suspension additions done to improve handling. They really know motorhomes, and have everything in stock.

Ken
Those guys were incredible to work with. I too got the Road Performance Assessment done and the recommended mods made my rig a dream to drive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crasher View Post
A cheaper and more accurate way is to call the State Patrol and tell them you would like a four point or six point weigh. They came to my home and did two weighs for me at no charge. He told me it was my tax dollars at work. He was glad to help me assure the weights were safe and legal. Most State Patrols will do this as a public service.

Man, does that makes sense!

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 11:29 PM   #20

Newmar Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
So I assume most tire manufacturers have charts as to what the air pressure of the tire should be based on weight? I need to search for the table for my tires.

On another note, when driving 55 or higher, my steering starts to feel jiggly. Maybe it's as simple as adjusting the tire pressure? Otherwise I'm thinking alignment or possibly a bad tire. My mechanic has already checked the ball joints and he said they look tight.
Old 05-28-2014, 01:20 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pexring View Post

On another note, when driving 55 or higher, my steering starts to feel jiggly. Maybe it's as simple as adjusting the tire pressure? Otherwise I'm thinking alignment or possibly a bad tire. My mechanic has already checked the ball joints and he said they look tight.

Might be a combination of tire balance and alignment. I've been through the wandering and jiggly feeling too. After correcting all I could think of and getting no noticeable improvement, I had a steering stabilizer installed. Wow ... she holds the road without any wander ... one finger steering at any speed. This is the unit that I got: http://www.steersafe.com

> My motto: I like breathing. It gives me something to do ....
Old 05-28-2014, 09:29 AM   #22

Keep in mind that a properly aligned front end with good tires and tight joints, on any vehicle does not need a stabilizer. It will mask over some minor problems, but does not cure it. There is always a reason for a shimmy, a pull or a vibration. Some causes are really hard to find though, as Moonrover has learned.
Old 05-28-2014, 09:49 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pexring View Post
Ok, I'll bite. If you can weigh the whole unit on one scale, why would you need axle weights and corner weights?
Around here I just drive to a grain elevator to get my weight for the whole vehicle.
Pexring
Individual corner weights are necessary to accurately calculate the tire pressures for your, (or any), coach.
Axle weight is helpful
Whole vehical weight is relatively useless.
Mel
'96 Safari
Old 05-28-2014, 02:35 PM   #24
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crasher View Post
Keep in mind that a properly aligned front end with good tires and tight joints, on any vehicle does not need a stabilizer. It will mask over some minor problems, but does not cure it. There is always a reason for a shimmy, a pull or a vibration. Some causes are really hard to find though, as Moonrover has learned.
Good advice and reasonable logic... I just wish I knew where I could have taken my new 40DP to have them find the "real" problem.

I took it back to the dealer... then to a Freightliner Oasis shop... then to a specialty alignment shop... got weighed and inflated the tires properly... and still had road wander.

Finally with only 6K miles on my coach I took it to Henderson's Line Up and the Safe T Plus has made me a happy camper.

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2014, 11:40 PM   #25

Thanks, Sarah. Unfortunately, 575 mile roundtrip cost outweighs that level of need-to-know. I'll check out other scales in the DFW area to see if there is sufficient room and favorable terrain to weigh side-to-side.
Old 06-02-2014, 07:12 AM   #26

Freightliner Owners Club
That the state patrol will come and weigh your rig is terrific, but the results are not accurate unless all the scales are leveled vs. each other.

If you have front/rear axle weights from a traditional scale, I suppose you could just level the state patrol scales side to side and adjust the complete axle weights accordingly. I sure wouldn't want to have to build little shim stacks so that a 6 or 8 foot level could be used to level the scales front to rear for a 40' diesel pusher!

If they show up with a laser level and a big pile of scale shims, no problem.

mbrandt1402 is offline   Reply With Quote