Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-26-2014, 09:56 AM   #1

Rig weighing at truck stop

When using a platform scale should I pull onto the scale as far as possible before the rear tires get to the scale for my front axle weight? I assume I would then pull the whole rig onto the scale for a total weight and then pull up just until the front tires are off the scale for a rear axle weight. Is that correct?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-26-2014, 10:05 AM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
You only need to stop twice. Both axles and one axle will give you each axle (subtract single axle weight from full weight). But truck stop scales aren't really all that great for weighing an RV, as they're usually not set up to allow for 4 corner weights.
Old 05-26-2014, 10:06 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

I'm sure some of our experts will be along soon with technical specifics, but my experience is that you just pull your rig all the way on to the scales... which are segmented... and they'll give you both axle weights.

This process can be a little intimidating the first couple of times so I'd suggest that you start by going inside and telling them that you're a rookie who needs to get axle weights. I can never understand what they're saying when they try to talk to me via the squawk boxes at the scales.

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2014, 10:11 AM   #4

That being said, where can one get a 4 corners weigh? We live about 1 hr west from Ft Worth, TX. There are CAT Scales at a Petro TS and at a another TS in Weatherford, TX. They will do weighs of course, but are there other better places like larger RV sales places?
peggwn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2014, 10:13 AM   #5

As you drive on to the scales you will normally see they are divided up into three sections so that when a semi pulls on, each axle group will rest on a separate section. If you have a two axle rig then just pull right to the front. Tag axle rigs you will probably need to check where the wheels are.

Normally you have to weigh first - using the squawk box or "weigh" button to let them know and then drive off the scales and walk inside to pay and pick up the weigh ticket.

4 corner weighing is a lot harder to arrange because most scales have high kerbs along each side. Possible with this types provided the approach is reasonably level by approaching at an angle and stopping when just one wheel is on the scale. Weigh that and repeat when both wheels are on, and then repeat the process with the back as you drive off. Messy but doable with care and an understanding scale operator. Otherwise you have to find a flush-mounted scale that you can drive up the side.
Old 05-26-2014, 10:14 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by peggwn View Post
That being said, where can one get a 4 corners weigh? We live about 1 hr west from Ft Worth, TX. There are CAT Scales at a Petro TS and at a another TS in Weatherford, TX. They will do weighs of course, but are there other better places like larger RV sales places?
Getting four corner weights is a bit tougher.

I had mine done at an RV specialty shop in Grant's Pass, Oregon. I've read that many get it done while attending rallies but I don't know of any "standard" type of outlets which offer this service.

Be careful trying to get four corner weights on the segmented truck scales. The scales are often elevated a bit which results in the coach being tilted when only one wheel is on the scale... yielding inaccurate results.

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2014, 10:38 AM   #7

Thanks, Rick, for the guidance.
peggwn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2014, 11:42 PM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Ok, I'll bite. If you can weigh the whole unit on one scale, why would you need axle weights and corner weights?

Around here I just drive to a grain elevator to get my weight for the whole vehicle.
Pexring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2014, 11:46 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by peggwn View Post
You can have your RV and toad 4-corner weighed at the Escapees facility in Livingston TX. SmartWeigh_Default
Old 05-27-2014, 12:45 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by SarahW View Post
You can have your RV and toad 4-corner weighed at the Escapees facility in Livingston TX. SmartWeigh_Default

Yep, got mine weighed at the Bushnell Escapees park. Worth the cost. Result was info on each corner, including separate tag axle weights. In other words ... six separate numbers to study for future load rearranging. They also checked tire pressures, and did a careful rig height measurement.

In my case, I learned that we needed to shift some weight from left front to right rear. We carry too much "stuff" anyway, so the plan is to retire some of the seldom used toys.

> My motto: I like breathing. It gives me something to do ....
Moonrover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 03:26 AM   #11

Around my area the DMV folks and some State Troopers carry scales in there vehicle and can weigh every corner at the same time. I've never seen them weigh an RV but they may would oblige if someone were to call and set up an appointment.
Old 05-27-2014, 03:42 AM   #12

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pexring View Post
Ok, I'll bite. If you can weigh the whole unit on one scale, why would you need axle weights and corner weights?

Around here I just drive to a grain elevator to get my weight for the whole vehicle.

It is possible for MH's to be built or loaded with an inordinate amount of weight on one side of an axel, In order to load properly and set tire pressure it is best to know corner weights . For instance if one corner weighs considerably more than another then you would adjust the tire pressure to accommodate the heaviest corner on each side of that axel. If you just use total weight you can under inflate.

Same is true of front to back weight. In my case weighing per axel let me know I was overloading my rear and needed to move weight forward, who knew?
njs42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 06:18 AM   #13

Pexring
Although my experience is pretty unusual, the four corner weighing done at Josams in Orlando showed our coach to be 2700 lbs heavier on passenger drives than driver's side rear. Without the 4 corner weighing the math would be to divide the total rear axle weight by four and then consult Goodyear tire chart for the proper inflation. But that would have left the heavy side seriously under inflated which, over time, usually results in a blowout. Remember that all tires on the same axle must be inflated to the same psi. You will read/hear lots of comments about RV weights, and it is amazing to me the number of owners who have never had their RV weighed, yet claim to 'know' what it weighs as well as how much psi the tires need. But without a four corner weighing, RV owners are really just guessing and hoping for the best. That is not a responsible course of action, and Heaven help the RVer who finds himself in court due to his ignorance. How can you blame anyone else? Too bad in our situation we could not effectively move weight around to make a difference because it was due to the coach design (that we love) in which it appears the 'pillow arrangers' had more sway than design engineers. But there are workarounds.
Frank W. 09 Cayman
Lake City, Florida
flynnwalter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 06:44 PM   #14

A further question. Should you weigh with or without toad attached or will either give the same result?
glemo81540 is offline   Reply With Quote