Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-15-2017, 08:35 PM   #1

Right choice

I have just purchased a 2000 holiday rambler endeavor 38 ft single slide cat 300 55000 miles. I looked thru all kinds of owners forums and this unit appears to get pretty good comments. If anyone has experience with this model I would appreciate any comments. Hopefully you don't tell me I am a complete idiot.
Sbend is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-15-2017, 08:44 PM   #2

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
from WA State!

HR made good, solid rigs for the most part.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2017, 10:11 PM   #3

Did I read your post correctly? You just bought a new to you MH and now you are seeking advice? Gentle ribbing here.

I see a lot of older HR's on the road and in campgrounds. Although HR's have a good reputation in general, you could have purchased a very good one or you could have purchased the MH from Hell. How would we know? This is true of virtually every make. Here is a question for you. What due diligence did you do on this coach before you bought it?

As you discover each and every idiosyncrasy of you new coach and get stumped on same, we will be here to help you through the process.
Sandy Swede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2017, 10:35 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandy Swede View Post
Did I read your post correctly? You just bought a new to you MH and now you are seeking advice? Gentle ribbing here.

I see a lot of older HR's on the road and in campgrounds. Although HR's have a good reputation in general, you could have purchased a very good one or you could have purchased the MH from Hell. How would we know? This is true of virtually every make. Here is a question for you. What due diligence did you do on this coach before you bought it?

As you discover each and every idiosyncrasy of you new coach and get stumped on same, we will be here to help you through the process.
Owner had all service and repair records from new. Spent more time pointing out flaws than he did pointing out everything that was good. Flaws were scratch on rear bumper fridge acting up and windshield caulking. Discounted it 1500 for fridge. I also spent hours reading owners forums. Took it for a good long run 200 miles
Old 07-15-2017, 10:43 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sbend View Post
Owner had all service and repair records from new. Spent more time pointing out flaws than he did pointing out everything that was good. Flaws were scratch on rear bumper fridge acting up and windshield caulking. Discounted it 1500 for fridge. I also spent hours reading owners forums. Took it for a good long run 200 miles
I appreciate you replying to my post and i am sure i will have plenty of questions
Old 07-15-2017, 10:47 PM   #6

Owner service records and pride of ownership are invaluable. It sounds like you're doing okay so far

I'm in an RV park with my 5th wheel drooling over the class A units. A super nice 45' tag axle pulled in yesterday and I didn't recognize it. Upon walking around it I found it is a Holiday Rambler. I never realized they made such high end stuff. I'd guess this one from about the same era the OP has.
mtofell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2017, 04:04 AM   #7

This is about as bad as it gets

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f258/2000...el-335623.html

If you have the owners manual, it should direct you to not allow snow to accumulate on the roof. Water leaks at the wall/roof seam are a chronic problem with all Monaco models of this vintage. Inspection and prompt repair will save it. The best thing you can do for this coach (and most others) is store it under a solid carport or indoors.
Old 07-16-2017, 05:29 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
You should subscribe to the Monaco Owner's forum. Many HR owners on that thread and if you have questions, you will have a better chance of getting an answer.
Towing 2014 Ford Explorer
veraken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2017, 06:15 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by veraken View Post
You should subscribe to the Monaco Owner's forum. Many HR owners on that thread and if you have questions, you will have a better chance of getting an answer.
Thanks for the advice. There will be a time it will be in snow. Looking for indoor storage now. Not easy to find around here. Maybe will have to go south earlier. It would be a real hardship to miss any of our beautiful frigid cold snowy weather
Old 07-16-2017, 09:24 AM   #10

You are not a complete idiot. 😀
Old 07-16-2017, 01:29 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sbend View Post

Way to go, Sbend! Not sure if you had a third-party inspection or oil analysis, but with full service and repair records plus the vibes you got from the fussy owner, you should be ok.

Beyond the drive train, here is a short list of what I was told are the most important items:
1. Age and condition of tires and proper cold inflation pressure (see tireman9's posts or go directly to his blog
RV Tire Safety: Inflation
2. A TPMS
3. An ARP thermal limit switch for the infamous Norcold refer.
4. A Progressive Industries EMS (surge protector +++).

Best of luck on your new adventure.
Sandy Swede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2017, 01:50 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandy Swede View Post
Way to go, Sbend! Not sure if you had a third-party inspection or oil analysis, but with full service and repair records plus the vibes you got from the fussy owner, you should be ok.

Beyond the drive train, here is a short list of what I was told are the most important items:
1. Age and condition of tires and proper cold inflation pressure (see tireman9's posts or go directly to his blog
RV Tire Safety: Inflation
2. A TPMS
3. An ARP thermal limit switch for the infamous Norcold refer.
4. A Progressive Industries EMS (surge protector +++).

Best of luck on your new adventure.
Thanks. The tires are pretty much brand new. I will for sure look into those other items.