RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-24-2017, 06:48 AM   #1

Right Purchase Approach?

Spent 2 full days at Tampa show last week, and have pretty much drilled down our choice to either the Hurricane 29M or the Windsport 29M. We looked at the Jayco's, the Winnebago's, and various others. All appeared to be great rigs, but all had little "quirks" that put them off the list-pedestal toilets, same side dinettes & sofas, entrances through the passenger seat rather than behind..all personal preference type/issues/ things that others might like-doesn't make them right or wrong...

That being said, we've now started our deeper dive research...we aren't ready to pull the trigger just yet for various reasons, but hopefully within the next year. We saw some pretty amazing discounts/price points compared to what I'm seeing online...so here's what we're thinking..do the research, be sure of what we're choosing. Do a test drive (or several) at a local dealer... And be as sure as we can of all the details.

Are we on track in thinking we do our research, and then take advantage of the "deals" at a show? Are the dealers and shows usually geared toward selling the actual specific units they display at the show, or are they just looking to make the sale-and have backstock available? I would like to think that the dealers of any integrity would be willing to honor "show price", no?

Thanks for any insight.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-24-2017, 07:10 AM   #2

Thor Owners Club
Sounds like your research is spot on so far. It is very important to know what you want and to know what you don't want, and to fit it all into your budget. Working with dealers can be a crap shoot, even considering the RV shows. Most dealers I have talked to at shows often hold their "show pricing" for a few weeks after (but I am sure you can negotiate that down anyway, since they were willing to sell at that price.) Also keep in mind service and support for your new motorhome - choose your dealer wisely and it can really help you over the long run.

Old 01-24-2017, 07:14 AM   #3

Thor Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I take it that you know both of your choices are built in the same plant. If you don't like the way one drives you won't like the other. Trade show deals can have assistance from the manufacturer to boost sales, ask the question. First find a dealer that will give you service after the deal. I love my Thor Hurricane, but it has been back to the dealer 5 times. That has equated to 500 miles and 10+ hours of windshield time getting small problems fixed. All will have some issues, no matter what the price.
Best wishes in your search and use it after you pull the trigger!
Oldman5145 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2017, 07:21 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Sounds like you are on the right track. Deciding on a floor plan that works for you is important along with the other amenities that you want to have.

I would definitely recommend test drives of different coaches that have different chassis configurations. See how the coach handles on the road in different conditions. If possible get it on the highway and see how if feels when a large truck passes, does the turbulence affect how the rigs handle. Do you feel cross winds. Does the rig sway back and forth. NOW think about having to drive this for 3-400 miles in a day to get to a destination??

Here's why>>> a couple years ago we visited one of my wife's friends. They have a ~35' Class A, front engine gasser. We had a trip planned together and the night before we were leaving the husband wanted to go fuel up the rig so I went with him. I could not believe how the rig rock and rolled and was all over the road. He seemed to have to fight the steering wheel the whole time, ~20 mile round trip, it wore me out just watching him. The next day my wife road with his wife to our destination ~150 miles away. I followed them and watched the rig wander all of the road and rock and roll like the night before. After the drive my wife commented how bad of ride it was.

As to the pricing, I think it depends on the dealer as to how hungry they are. If you have the ability to get pricing from 2 different dealers on the same rig you might be able to use this as a negotiating point.

I got luck back in 1997 and bought a brand new Class C at a dealer auction who was liquidating his stock. The MSRP window sticker was +$54K, I got the rig for $35K ~35% discount. After finishing signing the paperwork the dealer (who was at the auction buried in the crowd approving each sale) came up to me and showed me his paperwork, I got the rig at dealer cost.
jacwjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2017, 07:48 AM   #5

Make sure that you know actual MSRP, not what the dealer at the show or anywhere else SAYS is MSRP. Many dealers advertise a version of X% off of MSRP! But they use an inflated version of MSRP. Call the factory, give them the exact model #, or better yet, the VIN and ask them to send you the option sheet for THAT RIG with the MSRP pricing. You're not asking for a secret number, like what the dealer actually PAID for it, so they'll probably give it to you. Compare that number to what the Dealer says is MSRP. I did this once, and I made an offer based on a percentage off of MSRP. It was accepted. Then I pulled out the MSRP from the MANUFACTURER along with a calculator, and said, "Okay, so here is what we JUST AGREED to, right?" They balked, said I had the wrong MSRP. I pointed out that "M" stood for MANUFACTURER, not DEALER, and that I had gotten the figure from the MANUFACTURER for that specific VIN, so what could be wrong?!?

They had "inflated" the MSRP about 20%, then "deducted" 30% off of THAT price, claiming that they were selling for "30% off of MSRP, when in reality it was much, MUCH less!

We didn't part friends . . .
Hit_the_Rhod is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
purchase