Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-05-2015, 07:22 AM   #1

Rinsing off road salt....what do you use?

A trip from Tennessee to Manitoba had our new to us Flair looking like this:

It hovered around freezing for the entire 1300 miles on the way up...it was a slushfest. At one point I actually had to catch and overtake a salt truck in KY, and the same on the way back in Wisconsin. In Canada, I rinsed the entire coach off with fresh water, then a full soap bath here at home in TN.

So, other than just shooting water up under the coach, is there something I could mix into my pressure washer to neutralize these anti-icing chemicals?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-05-2015, 07:45 AM   #2
DJJ

Salt-Away Applications ...

I use this down in Florida for marine applications. I don't know if it will work for some of the chemicals they use on roads in place of salt.

Old 01-05-2015, 08:05 AM   #3

I see Salt-Away and also CRC:

http://www.amazon.com/CRC-SX128-Term...gy_auto_text_y

The CRC is cheaper & I wonder if it works as well as Salt-Away?
Old 01-05-2015, 09:58 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJJ View Post
Salt-Away Applications ...

I use this down in Florida for marine applications. I don't know if it will work for some of the chemicals they use on roads in place of salt.
Must be pretty stout stuff to also remove battery acid: Salt-Away's Car, Truck, Motor Home Applications ...
I suspect it will also remove calcium chloride, which is used when too cold for salt to work.

Their website displays conflicting information. The home-page says:
"Environmentally Safe. Has no deleterious effects in the environment. Safe to discharge into normal drainage outlets".

Their MSDS says
:

"Environmental precautions:
Do not allow to enter sewers/ surface or ground water"

It's still worth a try since it is 70-90% distilled water per MSDS.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 10:08 AM   #5

I'm going to give the salt-away a try....just ordered the quart w/mixing sprayer.

I bought my class B with salt/rust issues and it's a losing battle once it sets in, so I want to keep the rust away on my A which is in great shape.
Old 01-06-2015, 07:09 AM   #6

I thought I had read that Blue Beacon will apply something to take care of the salt on the underside..... if you have a Blue Beacon nearby

On edit-- I see that they use Salt-Away and there is a location in Knoxville that will do it
Old 01-06-2015, 09:25 AM   #7

Hmmmm...Pan, yes the Knox location does do the salt wash:

Undercarriage Rinse

Thanks for the info, I had no idea. So next time I am inbound from the West I will swing in there and get it done. In the mean time I will apply the Salt-Away here at home when it warms back up.
Old 01-06-2015, 10:37 AM   #8

I attended a seminar on mag-chloride (the most prevalent de-icer used here in CO). Both the manufacture and a municipality that uses sprays it (CDOT) said they pressure wash and rinse the vehicle after exposure. Both strongly suggested using an chassis washing stall. These stalls have water jets that are driven over, spraying the underside of the vehicle. The municipality suggested multiple passes being made by the vehicle to ensure all the de-icer is rinsed. I found a similar attachment on amazon. http://www.amazon.com/16-Undercarria.../dp/B0065OYYQQ

Good luck!
Old 01-06-2015, 10:56 AM   #9

A popular product used by many of the racers at the Bonneville Salt Flats is Salt-X. I have a gallon and the suction adapter for a garden hose I use on my boat and flush outboards and use a pump spray bottle on salt water fishing gear.

Jim
jauguston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 05:45 PM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Location: DW Driver -Winter Englewood FL, Summer Willingboro NJ
In a bucket, mix 2 tbsp. of baking soda, dolopril limestone, or granular gypsum with 1/2 cup of automotive wash and 1/2 gallon of water. Wear latex gloves to keep your hands dry. Stir the mixture with a sponge. Dolopril limestone and granular gypsum are available at hardware and home improvement stores as well as garden centers.

or purchase Eastwood road salt neutralizer.
Old 01-06-2015, 06:24 PM   #11

Ahhh, a homebrew...thanks!
Old 01-06-2015, 07:18 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motor7 View Post
Ahhh, a homebrew...thanks!
And for an applicator, put a 90 degree fitting on the end of your pressure washer wand.

Word of caution about those chassis washers. Some use reclaimed water which if not maintained, contains ugly things. Then consider the high pressure. It could very well inject the very things you are trying to eliminate into places which were NOT affected. Be careful around the engine - the starter for example.

With your own pressure washer, you can throttle the pressure.
Old 01-06-2015, 07:28 PM   #13

Nor'easters Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
When I used to run my truck on the beach I would use an old fashioned rotary type lawn sprinkler. Hook it to the end of your hose and let it wash and area then just pull the hose a few feet and let it wash another area. To me getting a good flood of water in the area was better than the high pressure of a pressure washer.

HerbZilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 08:12 PM   #14

Outdoors RV Owners Club
This is a constant struggle for us in Canada. The entire vehicle chassis gets thoroughly drenched and severely coated with not just salt, but an insidious mix of salt and sand. This mixture flows into every crack and crevice and cements itself to the chassis as it dries into the surface of the metal.

The trick is this mixture has to be thoroughly removed immediately before the concoction dries. In most cases, weather or travel plans prevent this from being done soon enough. I have found that rinsing and washing later on have very little long term effect on stopping the rusting that begins and continues. Soon most of the chassis frame paint will be gone, and the entire surface of the frame will be a layer of rust.

At that point, I don't know what the answer is. I have tried painting the frame with special rust paints, but in a very short time the paint is eaten away.

Jim

Canada, eh?
Papa_Jim is offline   Reply With Quote